What's new
What's new

Shop made inspection equipment

ironsmith89

Aluminum
I have been contemplating making a dovetail measuring jig, and thought I'd pick the brains of the experts as to what they've made. I want to see some pics of indicator jigs, levels and such. As many of you know measuring over pins with a micrometer seldom works and in the past I have always fanagled something out of my noga base clamped to a 1-2-3 block or parallel etc. I thought this would be a good topic for this forum as inspection is the heart of the scraping process. Again pictures encouraged!

yes this is an excellent topic and it is even part of the subforum description. Nick has a video on Youtube of some tools he made while he was rebuilding a small grinder. I am sure there are others, I personally am still waiting for Richard to offer a good video demonstration of the use of the Kingway tool. I am sure other members will have others.

Charles

As many of you know measuring over pins with a micrometer seldom works

I've never had a problem with that method, within the limits of my mic or gage block span.

If this is a comparative measurement as in to see if the DT's are parallel, then a mic is not actually needed. Just something to hold an indicator on a fairly rigid rod with a ball contact (or true flat perpendicular contact to the beam if you want to work that hard :) )

Here's one I made for DT's where the flat way is the top, so there is no register surface for a pin or ball directly.

smt_dtailindicator1.jpg

smt_dtailindicator2.jpg

smt_dtailindicator3.jpg

PS, in case it is not clear, the anvil end contact has a ball bearing swaged into it.
The form tool shown was merely to make the round ends on the clamp pieces for appearance.
smt

A king way clone type effort out of what I had laying about.
113707-20140805-142416.jpg

Straight edge from an RSJ
112573-20140718-143151.jpg

Im nothing like an expert :D

This is all very good, keep em coming! I like the simplicity of your jig stephen. Looks like it would be pretty straight forward to make and easy to modify. Demon, you're two vials away from perfect! Lol anyone know if starrett sells just the vials for the 199?

Back