What's new
What's new

Shop Tour with Michigan Legend and Friend Daryl Smith aka (Other Brother)

He has been very helpful on this site for years. Mostly helping out with machine tool issues and offering advice on repairs. He has also been selling some of his tools for the last year or two. It is nice to put a face with the person and he has a nice small shop.

Charles

Daryl is also a good friend and student of mine...picked up power scraping so fast. He said he had tried and tried before the class. He said all he needs is me standing behind him. My students know what that means. He has a van with pull out drawers with so many inspection tools. I helped him behind the scenes by introducing him to Moglice.

Pic's L to R
Cash, Daryl showing how to test squareness with one of his many gage's, his test bar he power scraped and one huge Gear machine B&K makes. Hope to have another class their in October 2020

20160317_111951.jpg20160316_134119.jpg20160316_134104.jpg20160316_111712.jpg20160316_145337.jpg

Thanks to Demon73 for posting the video of my dirty little shop. I should have at least swept the floor.:) The "Lengend" in the title is rather embarrassing as there are many more mentors of mine who are the "Legends". I am just fortunate to be able to do something I love and get paid for it. It has never been a job, but rather a hobby that I make a good living while doing.

I have been gifted with a mechanical inclined mind, sorta like Wes and many others. I am not intimidated to take something apart if it is broke. What's the worst that could happen, still be broke? Someone built it so I figure I should be able to figure out how to repair it, yes? I just wish I had another 50 years to pass on what has been so freely passed on to me. Daryl

Daryl is hands down, solid gold. I've bent his ear more times than I can recall over the years and he's always been more than gracious and fantastic in return. There are few like him in my estimation. He could call at 2:30 in the morning and tell me he's in a hotel and just woke up next to a dead hooker with no idea what happened or what to do, and I would just hang up and drive there to help him. Not that it's ever happened again, mind you. That was a great class, too.

Daryl...looks like we will be doing a class in River Rouge MI in March...just set it up today...your invited on the house...I believe March 9 - 13....2 small companies sending 3 each plus the hobby shop owner, so not going to advertise it on Ebay.

A Barber-Colman lathe ! You don't see too many of those these days. Did Barber actually build them or were they a re-badge ?

Built like tanks. Maybe heavier. Have actually run across 10 of them in the last 8 - 10 years. I can put my finger on three, right now. Bourne & Koch had a couple, too. REALLY stout machines. My failing memory says they were actually BC made, but a flat out copy,

I spoke to one of Daryls close friends yesterday. Mike.. and Daryl he is going to host a summer class in flint. So if you prefer to wait till then no need for you to drive down to Rouge River.

I spoke to one of Daryls close friends yesterday. Mike.. and Daryl he is going to host a summer class in flint. So if you prefer to wait till then no need for you to drive down to Rouge River.

Was good chatting with you yesterday Rich. I'm looking forward to attending your class.

And yes, I'm happy to explore the possibility of hosting one of your classes at our makerspace in Flint. We have plenty of room available, and it's generally pretty cool in the building in the summer. The building we're in was originally a Dort Motorcar factory, built in 1916. More info about our space here: http://factorytwo.org.

(and I know Daryl would like only having to drive 20 minutes each way!)

Regards,
Mike

Back