What's new
What's new

Should I replace the variable speed disks in my mill?

SirRage

Aluminum
Bearings gave out in the motor, then the bushings for the variable speed drive. So the motor shaft is banged up and at places 5 thou or more out of spec. So it's a given the shaft needs to get replaced.

Because the bushing gave out do you think it's wise to also replace the v-disks, or is that overkill? there is still some caked-on belt material but I think with a little bit of elbow grease it will come off, it was just stubborn with my first few attempts.

Attachments

• EK6A0046.jpg
    EK6A0046.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 118
  • EK6A0047.jpg
    EK6A0047.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 112
Bearings gave out in the motor, then the bushings for the variable speed drive. So the motor shaft is banged up and at places 5 thou or more out of spec. So it's a given the shaft needs to get replaced.

Because the bushing gave out do you think it's wise to also replace the v-disks, or is that overkill? there is still some caked-on belt material but I think with a little bit of elbow grease it will come off, it was just stubborn with my first few attempts.

Is this for hobby use or is it going to see 8 hours a day 5 days a week? If for hobby I would leave the shaft, make sure there are no burrs and run it. If the bushing bores are not hammered I would run the vari drive shivs as well.

I've only seen a few discs in my life but I'll tell you, yours look almost pristine. I sure wouldn't mess with them, it's the bushings that are the problem.

Stuart

Vari-discs are fine. The drive belt does not care about the surface as long as it is smooth.
Epoxy will fill the voids for the bushings.
Score the outside of the bushings with coarse sandpaper prior to installation. The epoxy
will then take a better bite.
The bushings take a beating if there are worn spots on the belt. Replace the belt if suspect.
Replacement motor shafts are available. Better have a good hydraulic press for R&R or else no go.
Block the armature plates so they do not push out.
John

Check with H & W on parts and instructions on how to glue in the Nylatron bushings. I would think they have a You Tube video on doing it. If you unsure box it up and send it to them. In all my Bridgeport rebuilding days, I can't recall replacing the sheaves.

Check with H & W on parts and instructions on how to glue in the Nylatron bushings. I would think they have a You Tube video on doing it. If you unsure box it up and send it to them. In all my Bridgeport rebuilding days, I can't recall replacing the sheaves.

Or just ask me and I will tell you how it is done.

It is certainly possible to pull the rotor out of that motor, put it in a lathe and flame spray metal on the worn shaft while the motor is running. Then turn it back down to size.

metalmagpie

Back