What's new
What's new

Six foot Challenge camel back straight edge value?

bsg

Titanium
I have a six foot Challenge camel back straight edge that I would like to sell, any idea on value?

I've looked on eBay and the web, haven't come up with anything.......any help would be appreciated!

Kevin

You didn't say if your camel back straight edge was already scraped, how true it is, or if it is "as cast" and needing to be scraped in order to use it?

Usually the larger the edge the less it is used. Hence it is not worth as much as a shorter edge. I paid $400 for an older Busch 6 footer that was scraped and printed well.

I paid $500 for my 6' Brown & Sharpe and it's going to need some work, but I also had to buy it from a place back east because tools like it aren't common around here.

IMO they will have a higher inherent value because you need a 6' surface plate to calibrate it, handling it often requires more than one guys hands, and it takes a little extra time to scrape if necessary, BUT because they are not in as high of demand, the price drops way down if the seller needs to get rid of it. That's why new ones go for big big money and they're listed for $2000+ on Ebay, but guys can still get them for a couple hundred if they're patient.

Here's a video.....

I put the SE on my Starrett 5' x 6' toolroom surface plate, It is in good shape.....it would stick to the plate when trying to move it! I could not get any light to show anywhere along the SE, don't know of any other way of checking it with what I have?

The surface has some scratches and a couple of spots where the scraping is wore.
If there any other questions or pictures needed, just let me know?

Kevin

I would like to get $625 for this plus shipping?
I also have the wooden cover to protect the SE scraped surface when not in use.......

Let me know if there is any interest?

I can deliver this to N.A.M.E.S. show in April if your going to attend?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Kevin

Sorry Kevin, After thinking about where you were and shipping costs I decided someone in MI should buy it. You may want to contact Daryle Smith (other brother) or Ed Dyjak or ES Dyjak in Milford MI. I will also pass the word to my students.

Thanks Rich, but I have no desire to lift, much less scrape something that needs a 72 inch camelback. I scraped the one I had and that was some awful hard work. I sold it along with a 50 inch camelback that I also scraped in, I think I got $500 for the pair. I promised myself to never buy anything bigger than a 48 inch, and I am sticking to that.

Best of luck with your sale Kevin.

Paid $100 for my 60 inch needing a little work. Pretty handy to have though. I'm surprised how much I use it for as big and clumsy as it is. Most of the time I just need a dead straight reference surface I can set up to indicate from.

Back