What's new
What's new

slideway bolt hole filler/cap

iscgeoff

Plastic
hello,
I'm looking for opinions on the best process to fill or cap, some socket head cap screws, that are in the middle of the slideway. The cap screws are bolted through the slide way and into a lead screw nut. The cap screws are recessed .125 below the face of the way, and the slideway is freshly ground. The carriage has been freshly turcited and i need/want to fill or cap the bolt holes and scrap it flat so it won't tear up the turcite. How do you handle this situation, Thanks.

hello,
I'm looking for opinions on the best process to fill or cap, some socket head cap screws, that are in the middle of the slideway. The cap screws are bolted through the slide way and into a lead screw nut. The cap screws are recessed .125 below the face of the way, and the slideway is freshly ground. The carriage has been freshly turcited and i need/want to fill or cap the bolt holes and scrap it flat so it won't tear up the turcite. How do you handle this situation, Thanks.

If the slideway is covered anything will do. Plastic plugs, like on linear bearings. If not covered then you'll need something harder - bronze plugs might do.

An old way to protect the head of screws is to fill the head (and the recess) with glazing putty.
however, if the screw in on a ground or scraped bearing surface, I second the suggestion of just lightly chamfering the hole and nothing else. Making a tight-fitting metallic plug spells big troubles when you will have to remove such screw.

Paolo

I'd be inclined to just ease the edges of the counterbores and double check that didn't raise a ring around the holes.
Are you expecting the Turcite to expand (slightly) into the counterbore and then get sliced off as it passes over the opposite edge of the bore?

[Added in edit] Paolo beat me to the punch.

Garwood's idea would be the easiest and you will need to champfer the sharp corners so it won't sheer off the turcite. In some applications I have had in the past, I have used Nylon or Nylatron that you turn so you can drive into the hole with a .001" press fit, then you can scrape them if your high. Or call Cody and ask him as they have a liquid product that is used to replace Turcite. Devitt or Moglice also sells Turcite too. If the hole are never exposed to the air then the chamfer method should work. Did a machine rebuilder do the work for you? What did they say? Devitt Machinery Company | MOGLICE

An old way to protect the head of screws is to fill the head (and the recess) with glazing putty.
however, if the screw in on a ground or scraped bearing surface, I second the suggestion of just lightly chamfering the hole and nothing else. Making a tight-fitting metallic plug spells big troubles when you will have to remove such screw.

Paolo

In the old days Lucus used to have bolt on ways with counterbored holes with cap screws that had steel plugs. They came off easy as we would set a mag drill on the way, drill a hole into the plug, fill the cavity with grease and slide in a dowel pin into the hole and hit it with a hammer. That worked like a hydraulic press and it would pop out.

I'd be inclined to just ease the edges of the counterbores and double check that didn't raise a ring around the holes.
Are you expecting the Turcite to expand (slightly) into the counterbore and then get sliced off as it passes over the opposite edge of the bore?

[Added in edit] Paolo beat me to the punch.

yes, the concern was of possible slight expansion of the turcite and the possibility of chips collecting there .. we went with .001 press fit metal plugs, and then scraped them flat.

the heads of the cap screws were machined to .125 below the surface. removal if necessary in the future will be pretty straight forward... drill tap and slide hammer.

thanks for the responses..

Back