What's new
What's new

Startrite 316H Bandsaw Help

Paulie02

Plastic
Hello All,

This is my first post here but I have used the forum for info many times in the past. The knowledge that floats around in here is great.

I recently acquired a Startrite 316H bandsaw out of a storage container where it had been for what we will call a lonnnng time. The machine is currently completely stripped and being prepped for fresh paint and a nice rebuild. But here is where I am running into some trouble. The upper guides, the bar that holds the guides and the upper blade guards are all missing!

If anyone has one of these saws and would be willing to take some measurements of the bars that holds the guides and maybe the blade guards that would be very helpful.

In the attached picture it is item #10. Any help is greatly appreciated. I also added a marked up image from a Clausing V900H I found on ebay (Same saw just a little newer) of the part.

Thank you

Top Bracket.jpg
s-l1600 Markedup.jpg

Looks like you have two choices,

Looks like you have 3 choices

1. Fabricate everything that,s missing.
2. Buy everything that's missing. Unfortunately bandsaws are not prone to many problems so it will be hard to find a scrap unit for parts. Spare are available in the U.K. Look up Machinesparesltd I found a list of ex stock parts but you may ne better discussing your problem wit them.

3. Buy what you can & make the rest. Bandsaws are simple machines and the guide systemsdon't vary that much between makers models and over time. Carter in the US make guide systems that can be retro fitted and the are several build on the tube like this. As you didn't get much of a response here you might want to try wood working forums. Another place to try is homeworkshop.org a free uk based but not limited forum where you can place wanted ads I have found many missing parts for my shaper that way. Your repairs might not be economic but it would be great to see another quality machine rescued from the scrap pile.

Tray, Thank you for the response.

I am currently on option #1 of fabricating everything that I need. As you said there is not much to go wrong on a bandsaw, so far my search for used parts has produced almost nothing. I have the means to bend and shape steel so I am not worried about putting in the time/work. I have not tried contacting machinesparesltd yet but did find the part on there site for sale. I was kind of having a hard time justifying the $650 for what is basically a rectangle of steel with a groove cut into it.

The guides I have been going back and forth on. I may just turn out a set or roller guides to match the originals or buy a set since I will be starting fresh and clean on that front.

I attached two more pictures of the machine now that it is painted. So assembly is starting and it gets closer and closer to running I will probably start to dive into the missing parts more.

316H Painted 1.jpg

316H Painted 2.jpg

Making progress

Looking good. Start rite make a quality machine an are well regarded in the UK. It will be very satisfying when you have it up and running an is a very worthwhile project.

You're in luck.I just got a Startrite 316H 3 weeks ago and mine has the guide bar in in. I'll grab the measurements later this afternoon when i can. And wanted to ask if you have a manual for it?

You're in luck.I just got a Startrite 316H 3 weeks ago and mine has the guide bar in in. I'll grab the measurements later this afternoon when i can. And wanted to ask if you have a manual for it?

Sorry for the delay here, I sent you a message.

Paul

So this project went on hold for a few while life happened, but I am back at it now. I managed to get some access to one of these one day and took a lot of measurements and drawings which helped greatly

Currently I have the machine under power with all new wheels and belts but still do not have any blade guides.

I've got pictures but that does not help me cut. Does anyone out there have a good source for blade guides? or have some I can copy. I guess I should say I have the actual guides but not the parts that hold them.

Paul

Back