What's new
What's new

Supplier of Turcite B in UK Found

Colin Heath

Aluminum
Hello All,

Following help from Richard King on another thread I was searching for Turcite B in the UK and have found a supplier so thought I should share to help others.

Birmingham Machine Tool Services | BMTS are the sole supplier in UK and sell it on it's own as well as grind and apply the finish for you if required.

I was quoted £97 for 1m length by 100mm wide and £85 for 'waylock' epoxy.

Cheers,

Colin

Hello All,

Following help from Richard King on another thread I was searching for Turcite B in the UK and have found a supplier so thought I should share to help others.

Birmingham Machine Tool Services | BMTS are the sole supplier in UK and sell it on it's own as well as grind and apply the finish for you if required.

Cheers,

Colin

I can't remember where I bought it from now but it was relatively easy to obtain in the old days. I'd consider buying the release agent if you can. When I first did repairs with " Turcite " I was using newspaper to protect the mating surfaces and it was a bit messy. I later used the release agent that comes with " Moglice " and it worked fine.

Regards Tyrone.

Yeah I was shocked much it is considering what brilliant adhesives are available cheap now.

What was the fly screen for @RC99

If you look up the spec sheet for the glues they require a certain thickness to attain maximum strength. The "waylock" epoxy will have some material like little balls in it of the right diameter to make sure you can not squeeze it all out.

If you look up the spec sheet for the glues they require a certain thickness to attain maximum strength. The "waylock" epoxy will have some material like little balls in it of the right diameter to make sure you can not squeeze it all out.

Thanks for the explanation and the fly screen now makes sense :)

Will have to look at data and see what I can come up with.

Other option is I make new gib strip but only have access to small mill until I rebuild the Bridgeport (Chester 626 import)

I think I'm going to bite the bullet while it's apart and rebuild the whole damn thing!

The glue must have gold particles in it.

I just used fly screen and Araldite super strength.

I remember doing a slide refacing job years ago were the customer insisted on supplying the materials. The Shamban/Turcite was the usual style but the glue was " Araldite 2003 " or some number very near that. It came in the biggest " toothpaste " style tubes you've ever seen in your life ! It took about 24 hours to set.

I'd relined two large headed Gibs. I put them in the vice nice and level ( or so I thought ) with the Shamban to the top. I had two lengths of bright bar covered with masking tape on top of the Shamban and gibs.

I weighted the bars down with some substantial weights and then left the lot to cure while I got on with something else. When I came back about an hour later the Shamban and bars had slid off with the slight slope I hadn't noticed and it was hanging about a third of the way off the gibs.

Luckily I could still re-position the Shamban as the glue hadn't set.

Moral of the story - use clamps for this type of job not weights.

Regards Tyrone.

I always cut the Turcite / Rulon longer and wider then what I need when I clamp it as it creeps unless you block around it.

Also I will spray the release agent on the cavity and put on a thin layer of glue as the Tri Star glue has .003" glass beads in epoxy to get a uniform bond line. Then I slide the gib inside the cavity and let it dry where it will go as the glue will squeeze out to the correct taper. Have to be sure to cut it long and have the long end sticking out on the thinner end as you slide it in as it will creep back.

If you use the thin layer of epoxy it sets up faster, so after it's been in there about 3 or 4 hours I push it out to dry on a bench as it won't creep anymore. Or push it back about 1/2". I let it dry in the cavity, but it can be a pain sometimes removing it as it gets stuck after the glue squeezes out around the gib. I also have used Loc-tite 380 Black Max super glue if I am in an Emergency fix. Have to wear gloves and move fast.

I also do a dry run with out the epoxy to be sure it's not to wide and drags as you move it in. On big wide ways like a G&L (box ways)I spray release agent on the ways. Lay the tape (material) on top of it and apply the glue and set the saddle or table down on top of it. Need to have the bed level or it will creep. Or you C-clamp wood blocks surrounding the member so it doesn't creep. Rich

Waylock® adhesive / Turcite

Hello
Seeing this thread, I thought this may help O Rings Limited are the Partner Distributor for Trelleborg. Waylock® adhesive due to REACH and ROSH is no longer available (manufactured) by TSS. ORL has replicated a similar product. Any problems with adhesive or Turcite B® [email protected]
Sorry if this seems a bit of a sales pitch
Hello All,

Cheers,

Colin

Back