What's new
What's new

Supreme Versatapper tapping head help needed

PeterH48

Aluminum
Anyone ever replace the upper bearings on a Supreme Versatapper? It's a common problem with this style tapping head. I picked one up about 2 months ago in nice shape. Ordered the bearings and installed them, but now I am having trouble getting the top cover back on. This cover holds the driving shaft, the two bearings, and a small gear that screws into the bottom of the shaft. Mine has the morse taper style shaft, The bearings press lightly inside the top inside of the cover. The parts diagram is not too clear on how the bearings stack together but I have tried every combination I can come up with and the cover does not seem to want to side all the way in like its supposed to. There are three small machine screws that hold the top cover/shaft/bearing assembly on. It is about 1/8 inch shy of seating properly. It has me stumped. I don't want to force it for fear of possibly breaking the casting. I attached a couple of pics of the parts diagram that I took with my phone. It's obvious it's a pretty simple setup. I can't figure out why it won't go back together. Anyone ever own one of these heads and make any repairs to it. They were pretty common years ago.

tapper.jpgtapper 2.jpg

Someone out there must own one of these tapping heads. Anyone?*

I am trying to get a Versatapper apart myself - does it matter which way you pressed the bearings out of the top cover? Pushing down into the top cover or up out of the top cover?

Also, have you found a source for the Mobilplex EP 23 grease?
Thanks!

I have a versatapper but the jaws that lock in the tap are "rounded" out by some idiot that let the tap slip in there. So I thought that maybe I could clean them up a bit and make it work. The black rubber collet is fine. But I can't figure out how to get it apart. There is a pin that is only one sided between the upper parts of the tightening mecinism. No way to get it out. It rotates slightly so I thought it was threaded. Ground off the top of that pin and it still does't turrn. Pressed in? Anyone ever taken that end apart? Can you gett replacement jows for it?

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpeg
    IMG_0992.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

Back