What's new
What's new

Biax BL40 green scraper

fastrider

Plastic
Hi

I just bought used BL40 scraper from ebay. From the pictures and description that it's fully functional I went for it. Yesterday finally arrived and I was stoked. After checking the box I found two blade holders, because it didn't say they come with it. But then nasty surprise. i turned the scraper on and before that I set it to low speed. I switch it on and nothing. After some thinkering with variable switch it turned on only in 6th full speed. i wrote to seller but didn't reply at all. After that i wanted to test it to se how this magic expensive tool works in real world. I was impressed, but then the scraper started to shut down on its own. After some minutest it died and didn't went on again. What it could go wrong with varianle switch?...does someone have any experiances?

What would you do in my case if that would happen to you.

I must say that this is my first bad experiance on ebay and I bought allot from it.

For now I'm reallyly disappointed

Cheers fellow scrapers

You can't fault the seller. They sold a used tool, you bought a used tool.

I disagree, "used" does not mean "broken", it should be in working order unless stated otherwise, or else I would ship it straight back. Good call on checking the Voltage/Hz first though.

I disagree, "used" does not mean "broken", it should be in working order unless stated otherwise, or else I would ship it straight back. Good call on checking the Voltage/Hz first though.

I agree... I buy lots of used tools, I don't buy broken tools, there is a difference.

I sold my “ BIAX “ half moon flaker to a guy in Scandinavia a few years ago. I’d had it for years and it had never let me down. It had done a lot of work even in the time I had it and the previous owner was a machine tool re-builder also. It was only one speed so no real complications but it’s always a worry that something that has been bullet proof for you will start to play up the minute you sell it. Having said that the guy got it for about $300 so he got a bargain and as far as I know the guy is still using it.

I had that happen with a “ Bang & Olafson “ turntable I sold to a friend. My dad had it for years and then I inherited it and used it for years. It worked flawlessly in all that time. I sold it to a pal and after about a month it started playing up.

Regards Tyrone.

A turntable that started “playing up”? I see what you did there ;-)

Don’t know who fixes Biaxes in Europe, but the little BL40 is my favourite Biax for smaller jobs and worthy of fixing.

L7

But then nasty surprise. i turned the scraper on and before that I set it to low speed. I switch it on and nothing. After some thinkering with variable switch it turned on only in 6th full speed.

Before you do anything else, pull out the brushes and have a look to see if they are worn out. Another likely problem is dirt or goo on the electrical switch, pull it out and clean it up. Some contact cleaner on the speed control might also help.

I would also check the wire where it clamps onto the plastic. Many times the one of the wires breaks inside the black cover and the motor comes and goes. Ed Dyjak my friend of 40 years, repairs scrapers and he tells me you can squirt electrical contact cleaner into the rheostat and move it back and forth and that cleans the contacts inside it. He did say he has taken them apart too, but I would be careful. Ballen's idea about the brushes is correct and you should replace them as sometimes as the brush wears down the copper wire holds the brush so it won't push down against the armature. I have also sprayed contact cleaner on the armature (be sure it is not plugged in) and try to clean it. You can still buy the brushes for Matabo. I can get you the number tomorrow if you need it.

Also there is a "Sticky" at the top of this forum that tells you how to buy a replacement motor.
Rich

HI
I have taken speed control wheel apart and found out that there is some kind of silver contact paint which was rubbed off and there was no more contacts to the second pin. I didn't have any paint that could transfer electricity so I think that potentiometer is shoot. Sadly I didn't take pictures of it. I also found that one capacitor 2.2uf 63v is blown which I could replace. Only problem is now the potentiometer. Here are some pictures for better understanding.
IMG_20220219_172052.jpg
IMG_20220219_133112.jpg
IMG_20220219_161930.jpg

I thought the other post on repairing them with Metabo parts said that the speed control from a Metabo tool was an exact replacement (except for a name sticker).

Look for a used Metabo jig-saw, model ST-EP 564. The motor and speed control should be an exact fit in your Biax. There are a couple on Ebay now, but they might have similar problems to yours, so you might want to wait for a cleaner one to show up.

I think I can call it a happy ending...Ebay seller and I settled for partial refund of 100€ and then bought this Metabo ST EP 700 quick which I think is in good shape for the same amount of €. It even has a stronger motor as original. It's almost a shame to disassemble such a quality jig saw ;)
IMG_20220224_222619.jpgIMG_20220224_222412.jpg

I have one more question...how much gape in here is still acceptable. I took this picture from other member, hope he don't mind.
Biax gap.jpg

I believe you can flip the steel wear pads the blade holder runs on too.

To add to that:- If the gap is large, don't try to close it with the adjusting screws. The blade holder is glass hard and will snap. At least this is what seems to have happened with one of the carriers that came with my second hand BL40. I flipped the wear pads over and they have worked well since then.

Only difference between 564 or Biax original motor to 700 quick was at the 4 flute gear shaft that the shaft is ground to 7mm all the way to the bearing while original has 7mm diameter of gear and then it extends to 8mm before the bearing. But I think that will not alter the performance as much. Also speed controller is of more modern style and the turn on is really smooth.
Metabo-shaft.jpg

Back