What's new
What's new

Texas 6 ----- Time for some more scraping!

swatkins

Titanium
Just talked with Richard King and we have set the dates for Texas 6. The class will start Friday February 21 and run for 5 days.

We have room for 12 Students on a first come first serve basis. This will be the 6th class held at my shop just Northwest of Houston near Navasota. The shop is in the country so traffic is light and many students stay at a nearby hotel.

Contact me if you are interested.... I will send a sheet with pricing and other class information via email or pm...

This year we will have the class in the main shop and I'll be nearby running the planer.. I'll make the same deal as last year, buy a straight edge from Richard and I'll stress relieve it and plane it for free.....

More information as it becomes available... Steve

Did you get the seal packing issue on the Beast resolved?

Yes, quite a while ago... Turn out a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have a friend in Town that has a hydraulic shop and he was able to source the packings. They were presplit and I was able to change them out without having to take the cylinder out of the bed.

Added benefit was the table now stops on a dime instead of creeping along when I use the motion lever... :)

This is the seal that was leaking... That's a 2.75 diameter rod....
20190205_171155.jpg

Yes, quite a while ago... Turn out a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have a friend in Town that has a hydraulic shop and he was able to source the packings. They were presplit and I was able to change them out without having to take the cylinder out of the bed.

Added benefit was the table now stops on a dime instead of creeping along when I use the motion lever... :)

This is the seal that was leaking... That's a 2.75 diameter rod....
View attachment 267096

Well the REAL test will be to put a nice B&S test indicator on the table and jog the table from one side to the other and stop the indicators needle on a tenth.:D;) Cheapo indicators don't work was well for this test, it has to be a good one.

No, there really is a place for cheap indicators. You set those up first and do a check. Not a dimension check. If the first indicator isn't smashed, you go for dimension. :D

Still have room in the class.... Only 2.5 months away now....

Last night I took a short video of where I work on straight edges and a cast iron defect ( Yes, that is what I'm calling it now, a defect! ) This is the planner area of my shop and you can see my two larger surface plates. The 3 x 4 is prominent but you can also see the 3 x 6 behind the B&S grinder.

Miles brought over a company to check those plates in the early spring. The 3 x 4 is a Class A and the 4 x 6 is a "high" class B...

This class is almost full. We have 7 new rookie students signed up and 4 advanced students are returning. One of the Rookies is flying over the pond from New Zealand. One more and we will have a full house.

Back