Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am going to take the last slot if it is still available. I have email you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by simpledong View Post
    I am going to take the last slot if it is still available. I have email you.
    I have sent you a private message ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am about to close enrollment of this class. If anyone wants to sign up contact me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well looks like the class is full.... Richard is sending more surface plates, he cringes at the thought of students using my A plate to learn on ( Thanks Richard!)

I also made a new purchase to make more room for the guys... ( When are we ever going to get some girls enrolled richard? )

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking good Steve! I'll miss being out there this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bummer Steve.. Sara N is interested in the NY Class in May. In all my classes I have had 5 female students - 2 at GM, 1 for Seneca Falls Army Depot and 2 at PMC in Taiwan and they all got an A+ :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have room for a few more students. My son Alex has decided he again wants to help Dad and his help is welcome! He will be to Steve's shop with me next week and with him there helping we can do a couple more 5 or 3 day students. Email me and put Texas class in title. [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a fellow sign up for a day rate. So if anyone wants to come by the day. Start day one Friday and learn how. The more you stay the more you learn :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Day one is history!

10. Likes TGTool, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looked at different straight edge designs today. Hsd a vote on what everyone liked best....

12. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was fun to meet everyone. I was also glad to finally make some progress on my Bridgeport table. How many years has it been since I started that? Five? Hmmm. Life happens. Today I unloaded the table and got it setup for scraping.

After making one pass on the second flat, I mic'd it across the flats and the table top. The front side is about 3 thou thicker, but both the front and the back flats are, well, flat! Out of curiosity I mic'n across the table top and the bottom. That is, the non-contact surface under the dovetail. Its a bit of a banana. That makes sense, since when we planed the table on the Beast, we did the top, then the flats, and finally the dovetails. That bottom surface was never touched. Its there to remind me how bananafied the table was; about 8 thou difference been the out ends and the middle. I recall it being worse than that.

Again for curiosity, I checked the top for flatness with the straight edge and feeler gauge. Worst case was smack dab in the center to the table. That was down between 1.5 and 2 thou. After I finish the dovetails, I'll put it one the surface plate and check it properly.

It would be nice to have a 48" straight edge so I didn't have to lap scrap, but I don't mind not lifting the 48"! My arms and back are stronger after the last week

With any luck, I'll have my mill back together before Texas Scrape 7!

Andy

14. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Steve for hosting your 6th class and Thanks Andy (4th class)for helping with the big group. 13 new rookies. We had a fellow fly over from New Zealand, fly down from New Hampshire, drive from Kansas, Louisiana, Illinois, Alabama and Texas. Several brought lathe compounds, brought or bought some of my Straight-edges that Steve planned and scraped in the class. Others brought angle blocks. Steve has already said he wants to do one in 2021. My son Alex helped me teach. We are headed to Detroit on the 8th of March to teach another too... Here are some pictures.
    L to R Class picture, Andrew from New Zealand, Mike from Texas scraping his Monarch lathe compound, close up of Mike scraping dovetail, Steve from New Hampshire scraping his King-Way HK-48 Straight Edge.

20200225_123147_resized.jpg20200225_111947.jpg20200225_111932.jpg20200225_111937.jpg20200225_150058_resized.jpg

16. Likes ariyama, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a few more pictures. Also have some more classes coming up this year. March in Detroit MI, April in Vacaville CA, May in Oswego NY, June in Oak Ridge TN, September in Springfield VT, November in High Point NC.

Pic L to R:Spencer from TX scraping his South Bend Compound, Mathew, Andy talking about Andy's Monarch EE, Steve planning a King-Way HKA-24, Tim from New Orleans testing his angle block he is scraping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200225_125002_resized.jpg   20200223_152546_resized.jpg   20200222_173339_resized.jpg   20200225_112539_resized.jpg   20200225_112553_resized.jpg  

18. Likes ariyama, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Simple is Chinese and his name is Dong Chen, if your wondering,

Dong scraped a hardened V block base to 50 PPI. Excellent.

If you look above Dong, you will see Matt B. from Texas and he is using the new model BIAX BL-40 (7ELM) and the vertical handle was my idea that Biax is now selling with the new machines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200225_111924_resized.jpg   20200225_111919_resized.jpg  

20. Likes ariyama, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Simple is Chinese and his name is Dong Chen, if your wondering,

Dong scraped a hardened V block base to 50 PPI. Excellent.
    I was amazed by Dong's V block. Beautiful!

Andy

22. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Allen bandolier

I like Barret's (sp?) Allen bandolier. With SAE and Metric in size order, it makes it easy when you come across a machine that that is of unknown standard, or even mixed SAE and Metric.

2020-02-21-13.35.40.jpg

Andy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Beast had a bit of indigestion. A sheared pin took awhile to get out. Ended up drilling it. New pin and it was back in business.

2020-02-22-14.26.48.jpg

25. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beast in action

I never tire of watching the Beast plane straight edges, tables etc. Steve worked his tail off getting straight edges planed and preparing coupons for students to practice on. The only time I saw him still was during meals. The rest of the time he was crazy busy.

Beast planing straight edge

Andy

27. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been really busy since the class, Right now I'm in Tulsa working on the Sailing Vessel Seeker, but I was able to edit a video of an edge I planed during the class.... It has no talking but I added comments along the way telling what I was doing...

29. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steve,

The technique my instructor showed us was to tear cigarette paper into strips (if you're Scotch, whole sheets if not) and place them along the length. Straightedge goes on top just as you're showing. Then tug strips individually up and down the row to see if any are looser or if they're all carrying the same load. It's a very sensitive test.

31. Likes 4GSR liked this post