What's new
What's new

Texas Scraping Class # 5 February 22nd 2019

swatkins

Titanium
Just talked with Richard King and we have set the dates for Texas 5. The class will start Friday February 22 and run for 5 days.

Richard Just announced that he is Retiring in 2020 so this will be one of the last classes held before his retirement.

We have room for 12 Students on a first come first serve basis. This will be the 5th class held at my shop just Northwest of Houston near Navasota. The shop is in the country so traffic is light and many students stay at a nearby hotel.

Last year I didn't have a chance to learn much as I spent 4 days working the Rockford planer... I planed 17 straight edges along with a few surface plates and different parts of machines. ( I was looking forward to going back to my regular job :D ) This year I plan to take it easier and spend more time with Richard showing me the craft of machine alignment!

More information as it becomes available... Steve

I'm in for the 5 days, minus Sunday where I might be able to pop in in the evening.

Like the 2017 class, I'll drive in each morning (so no hotel for me).

Texas Scraping Class

Thought I would tell everyone we have 2 people registered and we are still looking for 8 more. Rich

Hello - what is the cost of the class? Is there a syllabus or overview available?

I'm very interested and could have another for a total of 2.

Thank you!

Rick

OK Guys.. time to get serious about this class.... IF we want it to happen Richard needs to fill it by December...

This is going to be Richards last year to teach and probably one of the last classes in the South Central area of the US. The weather here is a hell of a lot nicer than up north in February so its a good chance to take a nice trip to warmer climates...

The last 4 classes have been very good. It is a lot of work for me to make these classes happen and I don't make a dime, in fact it costs me money. I still love to host because it is such a great experience.

I've been very busy lately as I am trying to retire. I can't beat the bushes looking for student so anyone that wants this class to happen please check with your friends,family and even strangers!

I will make the same deal as last time also... Buy a straight edge from Richard and I'll plane it during the class, just a small donation to pay for the shop costs...

I really Hope this class makes,,,,,,, if not I'm going traveling :D

Attachments

• 49232de4-9946-48d8-b579-a4eaa851e957 (1).jpg
    49232de4-9946-48d8-b579-a4eaa851e957 (1).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 139
  • caa93600-bde3-4427-b232-686f1eb2e130.jpg
    caa93600-bde3-4427-b232-686f1eb2e130.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 130
I really wish that I could make it... it just is not feasible at this point in time. Such is life I reckon.

W

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If your thinking of taking a class. Steve hosts a great class, plus he sell the best blue bonnet honey from the wild flowers surrounding his mini ranch. He also has a lot of room if you have a camper or RV to stay in.

One advantage of the class is getting to have a bunch of like minded guys bouncing ideas and thoughts back and forth about our various projects. The last class I was in, we had lathe compounds, angle plates, straight-edges, mill tables, cast iron surface plates, etc.

I'm hoping to bring the saddle and cross-slide off my 16" Hendey to this class so I can get a refresher on how to work it over. I also have my 72" straight edge which SHOULD be finished by then, but I can bring it and go over what I've learned about using and servicing it.

IMO a good class not only gives you a bunch of good info and training, it also teaches you how to learn and keep going when you'er back on your own. Richard does a good job creating that environment for us so we can get a good start in the right direction while still developing our critical-thinking.

I'll add too: Steve is just as busy as the rest of us and I wouldn't want to drop it all on him, but I hope that when Richard retires, we can keep an annual scrapper-gathering going for the Houston area. If it's just for a Friday/Saturday thing, I'll volunteer my shop. Even if we aren't learning new stuff, it's just fun to get together and smell the iron-enriched Windex on a regular basis!

I have to get working on the planer.. It sprung a leak! Need to source a main piston seal.. There is a shop in town that should be able to help me with it.....

I'm sending a letter to old class members tonight inviting everyone that I have an email for....

Last edited:
I retired from full time machine rebuilding. I had plans on also retiring from teaching, but once Keith Rucker filmed his first class for You Tube and BIAX Germany started having me come there to teach I would be nuts to consider retiring from teaching. I have never been so swamped. Also with the pick-up of hobbyists and the general economy I am running out of stock of straight-edges. I will begin to start to build original King-Ways next week as custom builds. My son is helping me now as I was having issues before with the bookwork.

I will probably retire someday, but not in 2019 that's for sure as I have 4 classes planned to hobbyists, 3 in Europe, that will happen 80% sure. I am also working with private companies and will be teaching 2 to 3 in 2019. Also some are asking about 2020 already. Am I retiring from teaching soon. No. I would be insane to fold a 4 aces just because I want to go fishing. Also just started to write on Facebook, a whole new source world wide, being encouraged by a professional producer to start to make You Tube show's. If he helps I will probably.

I retired from full time machine rebuilding. I had plans on also retiring from teaching, but once Keith Rucker filmed his first class for You Tube and BIAX Germany started having me come there to teach I would be nuts to consider retiring from teaching. I have never been so swamped. Also with the pick-up of hobbyists and the general economy I am running out of stock of straight-edges. I will begin to start to build original King-Ways next week as custom builds. My son is helping me now as I was having issues before with the bookwork.

I will probably retire someday, but not in 2019 that's for sure as I have 4 classes planned to hobbyists, 3 in Europe, that will happen 80% sure. I am also working with private companies and will be teaching 2 to 3 in 2019. Also some are asking about 2020 already. Am I retiring from teaching soon. No. I would be insane to fold a 4 aces just because I want to go fishing. Also just started to write on Facebook, a whole new source world wide, being encouraged by a professional producer to start to make You Tube show's. If he helps I will probably.

Well fine! I'll just retire by myself! :D

Back