Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oke Great
    You found your adjusting bolts

The one thing happening now perhaps (and I say perhaps) the spindle is pointing upwards
    Or the spindle was pointing downwards at first ??
    If the gap was taken out and put back at some time the headstock needs adjusting
    But that also means the lathe without the gap has a headstock out of alignment ????

Demon
    The picture is a bit unclear but to me the bolts are not pushing the headstock but the casting of the bedways under it
    You are bending the bedways so to say Not twisting

Peter

2. Likes smic1978 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Sweeeet! Chalking that one up as a win for the forum!

One thing bothers me a bit, If you managed to get it over without loosening the main Headstock bolts, might mean theyre on the loose side? Maybe Tyrone or Peter could comment on that.

That said, if the machines doing all you need, then maybe let sleeping dogs lie and get it back earning.

Cheers
    D
    I don't think you have to losen the spindel and gearbox to adjust here. I think it's meant to just brute force the spindel alligenment. I think it's made to be able to flex there. Aslong as you have pressure on both bolts it should be fine.

I spoke with my service/mechanical guy and he says it's how these tos lathes are ment to be aligned.

It's cutting fine with the test cuts I did so I guess it's not lose. I will be doing some more testing and cutting when I get some free time in the shop.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

4. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Oke Great

The one thing happening now perhaps (and I say perhaps) the spindle is pointing upwards
    If the gap was taken out and put back at some time the headstock needs adjusting
    But that also means the lathe without the gap has a headstock out of alignment ????

Demon
    The picture is a bit unclear but to me the bolts are not pushing the headstock but the casting of the bedways under it

Peter
    Yes they are pushing between headstock and ways as far as I know. I think it's able to flex between the ways and the gearbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Youve lost me tbh Peter.

My guess is those bolts could be pulling a couple of opposing wedges or similar that moves the headstock.

Edit:-
    Sorry Peter, I think I now see what you mean. I thought those were bolt heads going 'into' the bed and under the Headstock, now ive had a closer look they seem top be going into the gap and being wound out to bare on the bed.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Youve lost me tbh Peter.

My guess is those bolts could be pulling a couple of opposing wedges or similar that moves the headstock.

You turn one lose and tighten the other one more to adjust. And then when you turn straight you tighten the lose one back.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oke Great

Demon

Peter
    Yes it's weird. If I remove the gap the spindel will be off again I guess. Kind of weird to do it this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaiownz View Post
    You turn one lose and tighten the other one more to adjust. And then when you turn straight you tighten the lose one back.

Yeah that sounds about right, just wondering if them headstock bolts want tightening up I know theyre a bit of a ballache to get to

I don't think you have to losen the spindel and gearbox to adjust here. I think it's meant to just brute force the spindel alligenment. I think it's made to be able to flex there. Aslong as you have pressure on both bolts it should be fine.

I spoke with my service/mechanical guy and he says it's how these tos lathes are ment to be aligned.

It's cutting fine with the test cuts I did so I guess it's not lose. I will be doing some more testing and cutting when I get some free time in the shop.

Sorry, I missed this reply earlier, I see what you guys are saying now, those bolts screw into the gap and press against the 'bed' under the headstock? Not seen that before lol, but the maintenance man seems familiar with it. Amazing to think it can bend things around that much. Be interesting to see where the spindle is pointing now

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah that sounds about right, just wondering if them headstock bolts want tightening up I know theyre a bit of a ballache to get to

Sorry, I missed this reply earlier, I see what you guys are saying now, those bolts screw into the gap and press against the 'bed' under the headstock? Not seen that before lol, but the maintenance man seems familiar with it. Amazing to think it can bend things around that much. Be interesting to see where the spindle is pointing now
    It can point to the moon I don't care. As long as I turns fairly straight TOS SN500S Spindel aligenmentTOS SN500S Spindel aligenment

11. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks to me by the photo's the headstock aligns by the main V, like the US design of lathes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It can point to the moon I don't care. As long as I turns fairly straight TOS SN500S Spindel aligenmentTOS SN500S Spindel aligenment

But theres people here that wants to know lool

Test Results
    8b: 0 / 0.01mm
    8a: 0 / 22.lol
    Lathes new nick name - drill killer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    Looks to me by the photo's the headstock aligns by the main V, like the US design of lathes.
    It does look that way, and from the plans it looks like the headstock bolts go up through the V. As Tyrone mentioned, could see if a feeler gauge would go in anywhere.
    I have to admit, im having a hard time seeing how those jack bolts got such a result, the machine was turning .005 over 5 inch which is a fair old whack. Even makes me wonder if the headstock is sitting on some sort of riser. Id like to understand whats going on

------------------

Wes did a decent video on adjusting the headstock. The adjustment bit starts around 3 minutes in shows the more normal 'push pull' setup ive seen before at 7:00.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But theres people here that wants to know lool

Test Results
    8b: 0 / 0.01mm
    8a: 0 / 22.lol
    Lathes new nick name - drill killer
    I will see how krocket it is next time I get in the shop TOS SN500S Spindel aligenment

16. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I din cut a test bar and it was about 0.01 over 100mm taper. So I am getting close. I did check with a indicator in the top of the bar as that did not point up or down it looked like the same as the taper I can measure. So the spindel seems to be aligned fairly good now( am I correct?). I will need to check tailstock next.

18. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I din cut a test bar and it was about 0.01 over 100mm taper. So I am getting close. I did check with a indicator in the top of the bar as that did not point up or down it looked like the same as the taper I can measure. So the spindel seems to be aligned fairly good now( am I correct?). I will need to check tailstock next.

Thats sounding good
    For the tailstock you can turn a spud and check it top and side near the chuck. That bit starts at 10:39 into the video.

If the top measures well can cut two collars between centres to see how well it holds with the tailstock down the bed. Can also sweep the the tailstock quill as you did the test bar to see where its pointing.

20. Likes Nikolaiownz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking about it
    To make this work you have to when you assemble the machine new and with the adjusting bolts loose pointing the headstock down a bit Then with the adjusting bolts you can align the headstock up and left and right In alignment
    But there is a problem with the gap removed
    And every time you remove the gap you have to adjust the headstock when you put it back

Peter

22. Likes Nikolaiownz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In an ideal world with a 12" test bar in the spindle nose the free end of the bar should be up by 0.001" and be pointing towards the operator by the same amount. This is to counteract 1) the weight of the chuck and workpiece and 2) tool pressure. The same numbers apply to the tailstock.

Regards Tyrone.
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 09-22-2019 at 12:52 PM.

24. Likes Nikolaiownz, Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the input guys. Will be digging some more into it next week TOS SN500S Spindel aligenment

26. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking about it
    To make this work you have to when you assemble the machine new and with the adjusting bolts loose pointing the headstock down a bit Then with the adjusting bolts you can align the headstock up and left and right In alignment
    But there is a problem with the gap removed
    And every time you remove the gap you have to adjust the headstock when you put it back

Peter
    If it works the way you explained I agree, seems a weird way to design things if so.
    Be interesting to see how things move when those bolts are let off. If the head springs back it suggests they're flexing something, if it stayed put then they've moved something. Its all a guess till its apart or can ask the guy who knows eh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everything is made out of rubber

Peter