What's new
What's new

Tree Journeyman 325 oil type

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I'm rebuilding a Tree J325 and was wondering if anyone knows the recommended oil? Looks like the ways and ballscrews share the same oil. Can't find any documentation online but these seem like they were pretty common back in the day so hopefully someone knows/remembers.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm finally getting around to putting the table back on.

But before I do, I was thinking if it would be better to separate the lubrication system so the ballscrews and boxways get different lubrication?

The machine originally was plumbed to lubricate both ballscrews and ways with one oil. I'm just not certain what I should lubricate the ballscrews with if I do separate them? Researching shows white lithium grease to be popular. If so, figure remoting a line and accessible zerk ought to do it?

Thanks.

"White lithium" grease scares me, because it is a VERY general description, covering a large number of non-interchangeable products. One producer alone -- Fiske Brothers Refining -- makes well over a dozen different varieties and consistencies of white lithium grease. What's worse, some white lithium greases seemingly precipitate marble chunks; in my personal experience, Pennzoil 705 has been the most likely to petrifying, but there have been others.

I do use white grease for a fair number of light-lubrication uses -- usually Lubriplate 105 -- which is a soft calcium-soap-thickened grease. Still, I'm finding myself using Super Lube synthetic grease more and more often, especially for rolling-element bearings.

All that said, my inclination, if faced with your situation, would be to stay with oil lubrication for both the ways and ball screws

Here's an attached photo of the Lubrication section of the manual - some of the lubes are no longer available so you'll have to dig for the updated version. IMG_2715.jpg

Back