What's new
What's new

UK Scraping Class December 2017

Peter.

Titanium
We are organising a UK scraping class in December. Richard is holding two classes in Germany immediately beforehand and will take this third class before returning home. The date is yet to be fixed but it will begin in the week starting on the 11th of December 2017.

The class will be hosted at the workshops of Andrew Mawson in Sedlescombe which is just outside Hastings, East Sussex. We'll have nice facilities and good parking/access plus there's plenty of local accommodation.

The course will either be 3 day or 5 day depending on up-take. The 3-day course teaches hand scraping, machine scraping (Biax), and flaking in both disciplines. The following 2 days focus on machine alignment and how to apply the scraping techniques in the rebuilding process.This is the first class of it's type to be held in the UK and is invaluable for anyone who is looking to learn scraping, rebuilding or wants to understand really how to evaluate or maintain a machine tool. Richard has taught these classes all over the world for many years and this might be a unique opportunity to take the course in the UK so don't miss out!!

We need 10 students to make the course work. I will be helping with the organising so if you are interested feel free to post right here in the thread and please email me directly at [email protected], I will contact you by email with the basic course details and a typical schedule and add you to the mailing list of attendees to keep you up to date with progress. More detailed information about the course will also the follow from myself or Richard by email.

Pete.

We are organising a UK scraping class in December. Richard is holding two classes in Germany immediately beforehand and will take this third class before returning home. The date is yet to be fixed but it will begin in the week starting on the 11th of December 2017.

The class will be hosted at the workshops of Andrew Mawson in Sedlescombe which is just outside Hastings, East Sussex. We'll have nice facilities and good parking/access plus there's plenty of local accommodation.

The course will either be 3 day or 5 day depending on up-take. The 3-day course teaches hand scraping, machine scraping (Biax), and flaking in both disciplines. The following 2 days focus on machine alignment and how to apply the scraping techniques in the rebuilding process.This is the first class of it's type to be held in the UK and is invaluable for anyone who is looking to learn scraping, rebuilding or wants to understand really how to evaluate or maintain a machine tool. Richard has taught these classes all over the world for many years and this might be a unique opportunity to take the course in the UK so don't miss out!!

We need 10 students to make the course work. I will be helping with the organising so if you are interested feel free to post right here in the thread and please email me directly at [email protected], I will contact you by email with the basic course details and a typical schedule and add you to the mailing list of attendees to keep you up to date with progress. More detailed information about the course will also the follow from myself or Richard by email.

Pete.

So what is the main attraction around there? And don't tell me it is camping.

dee
;-D

So what is the main attraction around there? And don't tell me it is camping.

dee
;-D

Hastings... Sex n drugs n rock n roll. Actually, just drop the rock n roll :D
Would swing by just to make the tea, 3 sugars only, youll need every bit of it for the hand scraping segment ;)

I have just emailed my managers in the UK, we have a shop in Sheffield, guess what they make??

I could possibly send 1 or 2 fitters.

Apart from the scraping class we can offer:

Battle Abbey - site of the Battle of Hastings 1066 and all that

Bodium Castle - a fine example of a classically formed moated Castle

The Giants of Brede - massive steam powered water pumping engines

Enjoy the authentic rustic experience of mucking out the pigs :)

Anyone needing space for a caravan for the duration of the class we can probably accommodate

and also there are these two holiday cottages available on a first come first served basis:

Lower Marley Farm - Apple Cottage (ref
27442) in
Sedlescombe, near Battle, Sussex |
cottages.com

Lower Marley Farm - Quince Cottage (ref
27443) in
Sedlescombe, near Battle, Sussex |
cottages.com

Plenty of hotel and bed and breakfast accommodation locally

I just received emails from BIAX Germany and they confirmed My trip to Germany in November / December. they also mentioned some companies in France are interested in a class. I wanted to retire, but can't afford to do it. If we teach a class in France in 2018, maybe we can do another one in UK if the hosts have to many sign up for the December UK class. Rich

Andrew sign me up for a cottage :-)

Richard, all bookings, payment etc is done on that web site I linked to - they handle the money side of things for us and scheduling. Best not to leave it too late, as we have regulars who come in the days leading up to Christmas and over Christmas and New Year - but I think that for the class dates they are currently not yet booked.

There's been a terrific response to the class, currently we are more than half full after just 2 days of putting it out there! There's a lot of enthusiasm for it over here it seems.

My son Alex is also making up sign up sheet forms so I can keep better records on the students and invoicing. I am assuming your asking for a down payment to hold a spot for the UK students. I don't like to talk money on here, but we can talk about the procedures and $$ via email. Rich

PS: Lets nail down the date

Last edited:
Oh yea I knew what Sheffield is famous for.

But if you think about it. They would make swarf. Is the part that is left over after the cutting process something you "made". Of did you make the swarf, and the left over part is a consequence of the cutting process. :)

A bit like gears, you do not cut gear teeth, you cut the bits in between the teeth.

Although I just realised, Richard would not be able to get a knighthood as he is already a King. :D

I have always called the waste from grinding you create Swarf a mixture of grinding grit and abrasives left over, in the coolant tank and the material left over after cutting metal "chips".
BIAX Germany is offering some discounts to the students thru Pete the organizer. Also they did the same in Scandinavia and DAPRA here in the USA is also offering a small discount.
I encourage folks who email me directly to read this forum as we teach rebuilding and scraping in this forum.

That is why I encourage my students and other pro's to answer questions. Rich

Back