What's new
What's new

Uk source for carbide scrapers

small.planes

Aluminum
Evening all,
Anyone have a good lead on Sandvik or similar carbide scrapers in the UK?
I am building a machine and will need to do either a PITA setup on a slightly to small surface grinder or scrape an area flat and level with another one.

Dave

Evening all,
Anyone have a good lead on Sandvik or similar carbide scrapers in the UK?
I am building a machine and will need to do either a PITA setup on a slightly to small surface grinder or scrape an area flat and level with another one.

Dave

One-off small job? Eclipse in the classical "Anderson style". Cromwell's carry the whole line at not overly dear prices:

Cromwell Tools - Experts in Hand Tools, Power Tools and PPE

Wouldn't want to have to earn my crust with my ones, but should git 'er done for a once and done? And/or else marry-up a common Sandvik blank and shape it?

HSS would work for this, it's a couple of areas about 2" x6" and they 'just' have to be flat and the same level. Parallel to the other side of the casting would be nice, but isn't critical ( there's a pivot on the other side).
Easier to sharpen, and cheaper too.
Appropriate use i think.
Cheers
Dave

PM me your address.

I've got one that I can lend you and some unused blades so you wont have to sharpen them.

Be aware that the Sandvik scrapers are not the most comfortable to use unless modified to make them more flexible (this one hasn't been).

Regards
Mark (in Rugby)

HSS would work for this, it's a couple of areas about 2" x6" and they 'just' have to be flat and the same level. Parallel to the other side of the casting would be nice, but isn't critical ( there's a pivot on the other side).
Easier to sharpen, and cheaper too.
Appropriate use i think.
Cheers
Dave

They are cheap ENOUGH to be in the drawer for their right out-of-the box variety, even shipped UK to USA... which Cromwell's do as painlessly as if they were three US States and three days away. UK-resident person not in need of cross-the-pond shipping can probably find better sources?

So the El Cheapo Eclipse have a "place", even when one has a LOT more scrapers.

See also Sandvik's Portugee sub "Bahco". They have a VERY useful line not meant for flat-surface machine rebuilding, but bitchin' handy for getting burrs out, neatening up filets for appearance, or scraping simple clearances in tight vee features & c. to insure the precision-class scraping - or simple priming and PAINTING - can proceed unimpaired.

Mind, as a card-carrying 1960's vintage Steel Worker AKA "Dinosaurian", taught by those already past 70 years of age at the time? Easily a dozen of my scrapers have file teeth somewhere on their carcass - near-as-dammit ALL of the HCS bearing scrapers, f'rinstance!

BFD. Bronze & such haven't changed much. So those still work as well as ever, too!

Better than I still do, anyway!

:D

Old file ground on the end?
Old file with carbide brazed on it and ground?
The high use system of replaceable carbide tips great but those tips not cheap and one still has to sharpen them somehow.
Plain ole files are easier to resharp than carbide.
Myself, well check the username so grinding carbide kind of what we do and have lots of diamond wheels just laying around.
My triangular are HSS, thought a making a carbide tipped one but more thinking seemed not the best idea.
Bob

Op asked where in U.K. for blades and that’s where I buy unless a bargain comes up on eBay. There’s some on at the moment but maybe op is very thrifty!

Op asked where in U.K. for blades and that’s where I buy unless a bargain comes up on eBay. There’s some on at the moment but maybe op is very thrifty!

Only Biax scraper blade I have came from King Richard - mounted for a power Biax. Price was OK, but a whole lot more that the Sandvik "blanks" that need a holder.

EBay operates globally. UK has a lot of "stuff". Now and then I've risked goods from places a lot more "different" than UK! A Russian straightedge out of Ukraine, an East German one out of Moldova, differential optical base screws from Israel, "etc."

Hadn’t actually thought to try ebay. Usually when I do it throws up nothing in the uk and then loads from “international sellers” with huge postage’s.
Dave

One-off small job? Eclipse in the classical "Anderson style". Cromwell's carry the whole line at not overly dear prices:

Cromwell Tools - Experts in Hand Tools, Power Tools and PPE

Wouldn't want to have to earn my crust with my ones, but should git 'er done for a once and done? And/or else marry-up a common Sandvik blank and shape it?

I had one of those " Eclipse " scrapers when they were made for " Moore & Wright ".They weren't very good. You'd be better off using a ground file.

Regards Tyrone.

Ive bought sandvic tips off of ebay both used and new - New prices vary hugely depending on the situation from £15 for 30mm tip to £45 both new unused.
I make and sell the scrapers for £50 - these work with sandvic tips - or can be recut to fit the US made Carbide blade blanks - (these are much cheeper but you get the pleasure of lapping the faces and shaping them yourself).
I am making a new batch of scrapers in the next few of weeks. Message me if interested and I can add you to the list.
Scrapers are £50 each excluding the tips.

IMG_1567(1).jpgIMG_1566(1).jpg

Brief update. I gave the HSS/Carbide some more thought.
Then I remembered I have a snapped HSS power hacksaw blade (the part came loose in the vice and there was an almighty 'bang')
So I silver soldered a piece to a convenient handle to see if it would work:
IMG_9771 (2).jpg

It does.
So I knocked up a longer one which clamps a piece.
IMG_9803 (2).jpg

For now I think that'll do the job. It scrapes, and its easy to sharpen.
IMG_9801 (2).jpg
IMG_9802 (2).jpg

As I only have a small amount to do Ill see how I get on. If I like scraping maybe it'll become a new hobby...

Dave

Brief update. I gave the HSS/Carbide some more thought.
Then I remembered I have a snapped HSS power hacksaw blade (the part came loose in the vice and there was an almighty 'bang')
So I silver soldered a piece to a convenient handle to see if it would work:
View attachment 316307

It does.
So I knocked up a longer one which clamps a piece.
View attachment 316308

For now I think that'll do the job. It scrapes, and its easy to sharpen.
View attachment 316309
View attachment 316310

As I only have a small amount to do Ill see how I get on. If I like scraping maybe it'll become a new hobby...

Dave

We used to make scrapers from hacksaw blades but they were different and, may I say , more economical with the blades.

We used a 15” length of 1/4” thick bright mild steel by whatever width the blade was, say 1”. Mark out, saw and file a tang on the end then drill a series of 1/4” tapped holes at about 3/4” pitch down the centre of the bar. You can then bolt the 10” length of saw blade to the blade holder with a small screw through the pin hole at the end of the blade. We made a simple, close fitting, sheet metal wrap around clip to hold the blade in place at the business end. When the blade was worn you just moved it down a hole on the blade holder.

These scrapers were made specifically for bedding in steel keys and were ground appropriately. The sort of large keys that hold uprights/columns in place. When they were used on cast iron I found the needed frequent re-sharpening.

Regards Tyrone.

That's some serious metal removal!

The Sandvik and blades are available whenever/if you need them, but it looks like you've actually got a better solution there.

Regards
Mark

Back