What's new
What's new

UPCOMING SCRAPING CLASSES & My Retirement date

Richard King

Diamond
Hello All,

Many have heard I will be retiring, but my wife will be working until January 2020, so thats my planed retirement time too. I will be assisting in the classes after that as my son Alex returned to my company and helping me now.
As of now our class schedule is:
September 2018 - Oklahoma
October " Possible MN class
November Austria
December Off but am availabe
January 2019 Keith Rucker in Tipton GA
Spring " discussing having classes in Texas, IL, VT and OR.
Fall " Scandinavia, Austria and UK

If anyone is interested in a class please message me here or email us at [email protected] Also if your interested in having us come and teach a class at your plant. Let me know. Host's get the class for free. You can also search Richard King Scraping on You Tube to see what the classes cover. I will continue to help on Practical Machinist hopefully until I go to the scraping class in the sky. I love seeing students help here now too as it will be their obligation to me now and then...lol Rich

If the class in Oregon happens, I am interested, especially if it's in the Portland area rather than on the other side of a mountain range.

I spoke to Columbia Steel where we did it before and they said anytime. I know some of you had issues with traffic on that Bridge. Hopefully they have fixed that jam up. When would you like to do a class. I was thinking April or May. It's far enough away have lots of options. :-) Rich

He's so busy with his Home Remodeling business so it's a bit to early, we emailed and he said it take a few days preparing. If we do one there I may go early and help him. Also have been emailing a fellow in Austin with a shop. Have to see what happens.

He's so busy with his Home Remodeling business so it's a bit to early, we emailed and he said it take a few days preparing. If we do one there I may go early and help him. Also have been emailing a fellow in Austin with a shop. Have to see what happens.

We set the date for Texas 5 Scraping Class.... February 22, 2019... Located outside of Navasota Texas, where the winter weather will not kill you :)

The January Keith Rucker class was sold out almost before I mentioned it here. We have a waiting list now. We do have openings in this weeks class starting Thursday in Oklahoma, have openings in the TEXAS class in February, were also now figuring out dates for another Vermont class in May, Also talking about doing classes in North Bay CA, and Portland OR at private shops. Also working on doing 2 weeks in Harrisburg PA area ...all in 2019. I plan on handing over the reins of teaching the classes over to my Son Alex in January 2020 and occasionally helping him. I will continue to teach classes in Europe and Asia and help here as long as I can. If you have room for a class and can help host, please let me know. Rich

I have taught 5 classes in Canada over the years and 4 were a complete PITA going through Canadian customs. It is harder to go through Canadian customs then Germany or any Scandinavian country I have taught in. Turkey was easy. So I doubt I will ever teach up there again. I did do one in Barrie Ontario once and said at customs I was going to Niagara Falls which I did. That was a easy time. I hate being dishonest. I forgot to add Bourne & Koch in Rockford told me at the IMTS show they want to do a class in 2019 too.

Ever consider Utah? Also, what is are the minimum requirements on shop size, equipment, etc., that works for hosting?

If you have room for 2 , 4 x 8 sheets of plywood size tables so 10 students can stand around them. Or a few smaller tables that are med to heavy duty. Have a granite surface plate or a few smaller ones or scraped cat iron plates. That should do it. I've done them in 2 car garages . We've rented porta potties. You as host would be free. But would need to help organize your shop. It's better if you have a small lathe or mill so we can demonstrate tests. Or scrape a gib if needed, etc. You can look at You tube under Richard king scraping and see how others were organized. If you email me at [email protected] I can send you some more info. Thanks

We may do a 3 day class in Utah. When is a good time. I told Car if we could get enough by December we could do it. Might have to do some "Shovel Scraping though....lol.

Here is a good one we did a few years ago that was a 3 - 12 hour day class. It was in July and was a super hot spell down there. It never got below 100 degree's day and night.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...achine-rebuilding-class-picture-heavy-230333/

If you are looking for an alternative site around Portland I could likely host at my shop outside Hillsboro.

Climate controlled and big surface plate. Easier access from hotels out here.

That sounds like a deal. Columbia doesn't have AC but their tour is hard to beat. Maybe we could arrange for a tour. I'm holding back on March for now as we are hoping to do the 2 week class in PA. We could talk about June or after....bbl..packing for my trip..

That sounds like a deal. Columbia doesn't have AC but their tour is hard to beat. Maybe we could arrange for a tour. I'm holding back on March for now as we are hoping to do the 2 week class in PA. We could talk about June or after....bbl..packing for my trip..

Yeah let me know. My shop is on my farm property but is only 2 miles off the freeway and within 5-10 mins of a lot of hotels and food options. The Columbia class was interesting with the big machines they have, but I do think my shop would be a little more functional for a class setting. It is 3000 sq feet and good lighting. Should be enough space for a decent size group.

Back