What's new
What's new

Utah rebuilding and scraping class April 5-9, 2022

doughales

Plastic
We are in the planning stages to hold Richard King's rebuilding and scraping training course in Salt Lake City, Utah next year April 5-9, 2022. We would like to know if there is interest in this date. Please contact Richard directly via his website, handscraping,com for more details.

Class Outline:

The class is a five-day class. The first three days you will spend learning the art of scraping – first with a hand scraper and then with a Biax Power Scraper (Richard provides these to borrow for the class). You start out on a practice piece of cast iron (provided – they are returned to Richard so that he can use them in other classes) and once you are ready, you will start working on a project of your own. A typical project could be a straightedge, cross slide or saddle off of a lathe or mill, angle plate, cast iron surface plate, etc. The last two days of the class will give you time to work on your own project as well as some discussion and hands on experience with machine rebuilding.

Basic scraping Class overview and some details (days 1-3):

Hand scraping 15 – 20 PPI on cast iron on practice bar
½ moon oil flaking by hand
Sharpening scraper blades
Working with levels, test indicators and micrometers
Power scraping, power flaking, personal projects, Rulon (Turcite) application
Machine alignment (demo & use of Kingway tool), 3 point alignment (kinematic mount), lubrication
Testing and scraping tapered gibs
Q&A session on machine rebuilding & scraping
Guidance on personal project(s), scraping to 40 PPI, straight edge scraping, pull scraping
Discussion of lubrication and considerations
Advanced sessions (days 4-5):

More in-depth training on scraping and machine alignment
Further work and personal instruction on your project or multiple projects
Technique to achieve 40 points per square inch for straight edges, surface plates & jig borers
Emphasis on machine alignment
Application of Rulon (Turcite), scraping and cutting oil grooves

Doug and I have been emailing and talking on the phone. It will be a Tuesday - Saturday class I am thinking of flying in early and tour Salt Lake. He picked April as he said it's nice outside then and I am interested visiting Temple square. If your interested in the class, PM me.

Thanks

I'm looking forward to this class. We have excellent lighting and heated shop. We also have several pieces of equipment with different styles of ways that will be good for illustration of way design. Although Richard recommends a smaller project, we do have an overhead crane if a student has a heavier item. Please discuss with Richard if you are considering a larger project.

Tonight we stopped taking more student. I will start a substitution list if anyone wants to come. I will plan on a June class here in MN and will let you know more info soon.
Thanks everyone

Hi, guys.

I wanted a little bit of Canode blue and yellow in preparation for the class, and looked on line for it. A company in California, ARTCO, had blue in an 8 ounce bottle, but their yellow was only offered in a 32 ounce bottle -- despite a Google hit saying they had it in 8 ounce.

So I emailed them and asked if yellow was available in 8 ounce. They replied,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Canode water soluble spotting inks. However, we need to report that this may be the last time you can order the Canode ink for some time to come. We have not heard from the manufacturer in the last 4-5 months and are assuming they have gone out of business or at least cannot make the Canode inks any longer.

All that we have left of the Canode inks in the yellow color is the following:
Canode Yellow Die Spotting Ink - 32oz - ARTCO - American Rotary Tools Company
C2243YL32 Canode Blue Die Spotting Ink - 32 oz. Quart Bottle $ 52.00 each

This is the last of our inventory, and we do not see more of this material becoming available. So, it is 'first come, first serve'.

We will await your order.

Kind regards,

Wolfgang Klich
American Rotary Tools Co.
250 West Duarte Road, Suite E | Monrovia, California 91016-7464, USA
ARTCO - American Rotary Tools Company | Email: [email protected] | Phone: +1 (626) 358-8466

Perhaps foolishly, I believed them and ordered a quart of each. Since this is more ink than I will need in ten lifetimes, I will be happy to share it with anyone who wants some.

Thanks. I have talked to Artco too. and they a lot of Bluing. The Canode Mfg's owner passed away and his daughter is very distraught. I talked to her as I have been buying from her for 20+ years. She also said they are having issues buying product to mix it as it comes from out of country. I suspect they never made a lot of $$ making the Canode and it was a product he made to satisfy his customers. For a hobbyist a quart of Canode will last for years. I just ordered 4 tubes of Charbonnel Prussian blue I will be bring it to the class. Fortunately I have enough Canode bluing to mix with the Charbonnel until I find a substitute or someone buys the formula from the daughter.

Stuarts Engineering paste ink from the UK is also water soluble so it washes off with water. Tyrone sent me some years ago and it worked good too. It can be purchased. I will have enough ink for the class.

Stuarts Micrometer Engineers Blue

Last edited:
Day One Report

Yesterday was day one. Unfortunately, Richard had a last minute medical issue and wasn't able to attend. We hope he'll be able to join us later in the week.

Richard's son, Alex, is conducting the class. I think he is very, very good!

I believe I am the only absolute beginner in the class, and I'm undoubtedly the slowest student.

Alex had us start out scraping a 2" x 8" (about) piece of cast iron using a Biax power scraper. Class began at 0800, and I text'd myself at 1330, "I'm starting to get it!"

I've watched dozens of scraping videos -- some very good -- but a distributed few minutes of one-on-one instruction from Alex is irreplaceable! He gave me a couple dozen hints that were extremely helpful.

Using the Biax reminded me of using a huge floor buffer in the military. I'd see someone using it one handed and having no difficultly whatsoever moving it back and forth, back and forth -- all while looking away and carrying on a conversation. But then it was my turn. What a beast! I couldn't control it with both hands firmly grasping the handles. It had a mind of its own! But I soon figured out the secret and had no problems thereafter.

Got to run. Class begins in 20 minutes. Fortunately, I'm only five minutes away!

Thanks Yan,
I had surgery on Monday afternoon and I'm still a bit wobbly. I spent 2 nights and 3 days in the hospital. I was going to try to fly out there today (Thursday) but I can't. I talked to Alex and Doug the host yesterday afternoon and we will try to do a couple of ZOOM calls. I had and still have a pain in the butt...LOL I had an abscess they drained and put in a drain tube in my left butt cheek. The doctor/surgeon told me 1 in 3 men will get one of these sometime in their life. Alex is a good teacher. I taught him to scrape when he was a teen. He's 35 now and wears many hats. Rich

Day Two Report

You know when I said yesterday that I thought I was starting to "get it?" Well, I wasn't. After a couple hours today, I finally got the concept of what I was trying to accomplish on the initial stage. Then it was another couple hours before I could get the Biax do what I wanted it to do.

But, I persisted and -- with a lot of Alex's help -- finally got a barely passable 20 points per inch print.

I'm by far the slowest student in the class, but Alex encouraged me that I'm not the slowest ever -- at least not yet. I'm about a day behind everyone else.

Someone commented, "Scraping makes everyone feel like an 80 year old," and I added, "Imagine what it makes an 80 year old feel like!"

So I got started on hand scraping in the latter part of the day. It's much less intimidating then using the Biax, but -- of course --- WAY slower. And it's not at all easy, either. My goal today is to finish my practice piece and get a print of it.

I lied, it's a little less then ten minutes to Doug's place.

Everyone in the class is great and Alex is a great help to everyone. I'm loving it!

PS: The sample piece is 3" x 10.5" by about 1/2" thick.

Last edited:

Back