What's new
What's new

van norman 12 mill ram screw

mac27041

Plastic
need help with the ram screw for the ram it will go ram ajustment2.jpgram ajustment1.jpgforward but not back the screw just comes out ?

I don't have experience with Van Norman so keep that in mind.

However, looking at the photos and your description, it sounds like there should be some mechanism to trap the screw that's not operational. The second photo shows what looks like an oil cup at the top of the casting housing the shaft and a smooth shaft section exposed.

I suspect if you push the ram casting back physically to take up that slack and look underneath you will see some shaft collar missing its pin or screw. It might have been pushed up the shaft for a bit so keep looking and wind back a little more if needed.

I don't have experience with Van Norman so keep that in mind.

However, looking at the photos and your description, it sounds like there should be some mechanism to trap the screw that's not operational. The second photo shows what looks like an oil cup at the top of the casting housing the shaft and a smooth shaft section exposed.

I suspect if you push the ram casting back physically to take up that slack and look underneath you will see some shaft collar missing its pin or screw. It might have been pushed up the shaft for a bit so keep looking and wind back a little more if needed.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2109/24245.pdf

page 12 has the diagram for your machine type. Part J-61 has probably slipped, as has been said here perhaps the setscrew and plug are missing.

thanks yes looks like it is missing , can you still buy parts for van norman and were thanks

thanks yes looks like it is missing , can you still buy parts for van norman and were thanks

Even if you can buy parts it might be faster and cheaper to roll your own. If the parts diagram shows the part you have the nominal design. You have the screw to measure. Back it clear out, measure, turn, tap and reassemble.

No you can’t buy parts (except if someone is scrapping a machine).

You might only need a set screw.

I don’t see how that collar could be missing (it would be captive between the nut deeper inside and the screw and ram casting) unless someone had previously unwound the screw and lost the collar...

Back