What's new
What's new

Vermont Scraping Class is back on - Spring of 2022

Richard King

Diamond
I have been emailing Warren and Don and now that the Canadian Border is open, we will be doing a class again in in Springfield VT - Warren couches Hockey and he wants to wait until hockey season is over in April or May.

For those who don't know. We hold the class inside a building once owned by The Fellows company and our host Don Shaduck apprenticed at Fellows Gear Machine and is a Rebuilder and is a Master Machinist. Gear Works Vermont | United States | Gear Works, Inc

We take a 1/2 day off and drive up to the American Precision Machine Museum where the #1 serial number Bridgeport is among other collections. Don is a board member (I believe) of the Museum APM - American Precision Museum

I will accept 8 to 10 students this time as Warren assists me. PM me here or keep an eye open here as we will answer questions about the class. Rich

20180427_103007.jpg20180427_101224.jpg20180427_170021.jpg20180426_145948.jpg20180426_095822.jpg

I did have a fellow in New Hampshire also volunteer his shop for a class in February - April. I am not sure we can do both that are with-in 1 1/2 hours apart. If we can I would be willing to do both, providing we can get 8 students each. I won't do travel classes anymore that are less. The Gear Works would be a priority as they have great location and we can see so much more in the shop and the museum tour. I really like the stay at home classes now.

Be aware that Covid infection rates in VT are skyrocketing at the moment, for no known reason and with no prediction as to what may happen through the winter. Just an FYI.

Today they say MN is also high. We are hoping by May of 2022 when this class is planned things will be better. I plan on getting my booster next week. When I was a a kid I got shots for mumps, measles, tetanus, polio and I am still alive. There were people who had reactions. A small percentage who died because of it. If I crash and burn, so be it. I got to go sooner or later. I have traveled to teach classes in Washington, Colorado, Oklahoma, California, Wisconsin, South Dakota, and Florida state during the Pandemic and I didn't get Covid, so if we can get 8 students to attend this class, I will go. I've taught 5 classes in my MN shop too, students from east to west coasts attended and again I'm still here. I'm not a chicken little.

This VT Location is VERY unlikely anytime in Spring or Summer of 2022. U will be teaching in MN for the most part from now on. I do have the Salt Lake City class in April 2022. Look on the forum for the info.
Thanks all,
Rich

I was just going to make a post to see if there was much interest in having another class this spring. Does not look that way. If there is let us know. We get enough people I will try to talk Richard into coming east again.

I hope everyone is doing well and the new year brings prosperity and good health. Cheers

Warren

Warren, are your ears ringing? I mentioned you this AM in my Facebook forum. I mentioned you can pass on whet I taught you after I go to the scraping school in the sky. :-) Here is what I wrote

I am pretty busy and I'm on the downwind of my adventuresome career, so better sign up this year if you want to take a class. I'm recovering now from some diabetic blisters on my feet. I was stupid and didn't watch my sugar levels (A1C) . I have trained, I am estimating 40,000 people in person over my 45 + years career of in-person teaching, plus now the internet students. I have some men who I believe will be able to pass on my knowledge and have been already. Adam Booth, Keith Rucker, Tom Utley, John Magee, John Saunders, Jan Sverre Haugjord, Ben Jan, 蘇榮, Timor, Warren Jones,
Jan Michael, Lance Baltzley, Bruce Ballen, Franz Lüftinger, Stefan Lüftinger,
Stefan Gotteswinter,
Tom Lipton, etc. etc. My son
Alex King can teach too, but God has found him his own entrepreneur path skills.

Facebook

This is an unsolicited recommendation for Richard's class in general and the VT event in particular.

I attended in VT in Spring 2019. My overall level of knowledge/ skill/ experience was doubtless at the pretty limited end of usual attendees, but I learned immense amounts, about a wide range of things, from Richard, from Warren, and from the host, Don - as well as the give-and take with other students over the days of the class. And the opportunity to do that in the cradle of the precision machine tool industry, "Precision Valley" and to attend the American Precision Museum with a group of people with this reservoir of knowledge, was itself a one-of-a-kind experience. I've been a fan of the Precision Museum for decades, and gone there multiple times, but the chance to go with this group, including the tour of the more limited-access 'upstairs' with a group with that cross-section of knowledge, was a stand-out.

I'm not in a position to attend Spring 2022, but highly recommend it to anyone who may be even slightly considering it.

Warren and I wrote over the this past weekend and were going to cancel for now. If I am able to teaching the future I would be happy to teach there again. Warren could teach a class if I can't. Possibly in the fall if we get enough folks interested. Thanks, Rich

Future VT class - I am interested.

Warren and I wrote over the this past weekend and were going to cancel for now. If I am able to teaching the future I would be happy to teach there again. Warren could teach a class if I can't. Possibly in the fall if we get enough folks interested. Thanks, Rich

Hi Warren (and Richard).

Please add me to your list of potential participants in a future class. I live in Laconia NH now and could easily drive to VT.

Wished I could have made it to SLC next month.

Best,

Robert McD

Last time I spoke to Warren about 30 days ago, this class is still canceled. I am encouraging Warren to teach it. I am sick of traveling to teach classes. The Salt Lake class now has 8 plus the host and it was like pulling teeth to sign students up. I like teaching here in MN and hope to do another class here in June, July, September, October, November and December. If you want me to be the teacher you'll have to come to Minnesota. Thanks

Back