What's new
What's new

Victoria (Elliottt) U2 mill

Tallen

Plastic
How to adjust Y axis backlash on Victoria (Elliottt) U2 mill?

Hi all

I bought a used Victoria U2 mill and i need help adjusting the backlash on the Y axis. I would like to tighten this up and in the process identify if a ballscrew/cnc conversion is viable. I am aware how the X axis is adjusted but I have no idea how to access the y and adjust it. I would be grateful for any help I can get especially if someone has done a conversion on one before.

Below is a picture of a similar machine to mine except mine is in much worse condition (for now!) and I have the Victoria version.

Elliott u2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Tallen.

Last edited:
The X axis will have a backlash eliminator to enable climb milling ,it is likely that there is no adjustment on the Y. The original screws will not be suitable for CNC control.

The Victoria branded machines are a lot earlier than the pic,which is pretty close to a "Sturdimill" in appearance.........I have had these to bits to fix table feed and oiling problems,and dont recall any backlash eliminators anywhere.I also think you would have a battle fitting a ballscrew as there doesnt seem to be enough space for the nut.

Backlash

Tallen,
Exactly how much backlash do you have at present? The crossed feed leadscrew nut on some Victoria machines is in a bolted on bracket. Make sure that bracket is clamped really tight, they are notorious for coming loose.
Ray.

Generally the screw is well worn in the middle,so you cant remake the nut to fit tight either.I think you would be better served looking for one of the older hydraulic feed tape machines....they convert to ballscrew easier,and are scrap price to buy.

Thanks to all for the replies!

John.k

Im pretty sure thats the same as my machine, I have attached a actual pic of mine now (I have been away and finally found a pic). I know the backlash cant be completely removed I'm just looking to reduce it.

IMAG1007.jpg

Sable

Yes I have seen the nuts on the X axis, it shouldn't be a problem sorting that.

daredo222

The backlash is about 1/4 of a rotation. I cant recall exactly how much.

So at the moment its looking like the Y has no means to remove backlash which isn't great. If anyone has any pic's or drawings of the Y assembly it would be very helpful. I bought the machine for about £500 and converted over to single phase. I still have the 3 phase motor if I ever need to reinstall it.

The intention for the mill was to supplement my place of work and I have the means to convert to CNC if i feel its viable. I figured I would refurbish for manual work and if it went well go cnc later.

Cheers

Its exactly what I have.....the old roundy headed 8 speeder.A good honest machine,but no Cinci........As for CNC mills,was at an auction a little while ago,and a Bridgeport Interact 4 with a Heidenhain controll went for $600.....working but very old controll system........who bought it?.....the scrappies.

Its exactly what I have.....the old roundy headed 8 speeder.A good honest machine,but no Cinci........As for CNC mills,was at an auction a little while ago,and a Bridgeport Interact 4 with a Heidenhain controll went for $600.....working but very old controll system........who bought it?.....the scrappies.

The life of a CNC machine isn't as long as a conventional machine. Like dog years.

Regards Tyrone.

The life of a CNC machine isn't as long as a conventional machine. Like dog years.

Regards Tyrone.

"Chronological" or calendar years, aye.

But if a(ny) CNC creature was used as it was sold to be used, it may have outrun the manual's years of accomplishment many times over on piece count, lineal inches, or cube of metal removed.

I'd not class them fragile so much as worked more steadily and more intensely toward "replacement day".

Buying the tired CNC ones does run far the higher risk as to buying "used UP already" too, yes.

It was probably very lightly used to make press tools.........the factory made gaskets for cars...including all the complex heatshields and sheetmetal stuff modern cars have.About a dozen crankpresses still in production with diesets still installed went to the scrappies too,including a big double reduction 80 tonner used to perforate stainless sheets for heat guards....The scrappies went crazy over big 6'X4' blocks of copper shim sheets,said to have cost a thousand a sheet ....All production gone to China.

Yes but it is cheaper in China. Then the now ex-workers can go to university and become lawyers, arts students,HR managers etc and make much more money. Plus the new chinese made goods are far cheaper so we can afford more and more.

Hi all

I bought a used Victoria U2 mill and i need help adjusting the backlash on the Y axis. I would like to tighten this up and in the process identify if a ballscrew/cnc conversion is viable. I am aware how the X axis is adjusted but I have no idea how to access the y and adjust it. I would be grateful for any help I can get especially if someone has done a conversion on one before.

Below is a picture of a similar machine to mine except mine is in much worse condition (for now!) and I have the Victoria version.

View attachment 239074

Thanks in advance.

Tallen.

I've got one of those and had the table off it plus all the bits down there including the Y axis bits. No backlash comp on Y that's for sure. Wish there was, mine has a ton of backlash.

Forget about a CNC conversion, this isn't feasible on one of these. Trust me, you'll waste a ton of time & money then give up anyway.

They're a good, solid and quite accurate medium weight horizontal mill with limited vertical milling capability. I'm quite happy with mine, I use it a lot, but as it was designed, with a good selection of slabbing, side & face cutters, slitting saws and the like. Quite often with tipped face mills in the horizontal spindle machining castings. I use it way more than I do the B/port in the same room.

But it's never ever going to make even a half-arsed CNC mill no matter what tricks you try.

PDW

If its old enough there might not even be a nut on the Y-axis. Got involved with refurb of a V2 with fine feed head some years back which had a 1/3rd (ish) circle helical rack in phosphor bronze for the feed screw to engage with. From memory approaching 12 inches long. Making a new screw was straightforward but doing the rack was a bit more interesting. Especially when the expensive bit of phosphor bronze bar went banana shaped after cutting the rack. Persuading it back dead flat and straight needed some creativity. Yes we did clean up all the sizes first to, hopefully, remove stresses. Ended up with a thou or so backlash.

Clive

Thanks for the advise PDW If I had known this earlier I probably wouldn't have bought it but I also have to say that after its first two jobs it has almost paid for itself!

Its a really sturdy mill at low cost that will do heavy work that a Bridgeport might have issues with. We have an XYZ 1500 at work and it couldn't look at some of the cuts this mill can do.

Tallen

Back