What's new
What's new

What paint do you recommend for a lathe reconditioning?

freddygotarf

Plastic
I have picked up a Lion C11MT also known as Mashstroy lathe
that I'm fixing up. I would like to repaint it before installing it.
What paint do you recommend that's tough to use on machinery?
Is there any specific prep work that's recommended other than sanding?

Hello Freddy

Recently i repaint mine mashstroy c11 mtm. I rubbed with fine sandpaper, cleane it well and use ABF colour green vegetable.I am happy with the result.

In the US Imron is likely the paint of choice, it has been reformulated over the years so it is different than the old Imron paint but it is still a tough and durable industrial product. There is also a line of high fill or thin primers that work with the paint.

Charles

I find that the key to a durable paint job is in the prepping and also making sure you let the paint dry for at least a weak before using the machine. I use rustolium "machine grey" on my machines and if you have done your part in the prep and let the paint dry fully then it is very tough. I'm sure some of the paints mentioned above are better but again I think the results you get are mostly based on your prep and proper drying time.

Any good hard-working enamel will work. If you want more durable, go with an epoxy (but don't forget your PPE's!!!) - Imron is good, but you need supplied air and gloves and stuff, and the old stuff needed a moon suit to shoot safely. Seriously toxic stuff.

The ultimate is Powder Coating, but you have to be careful with your mating surfaces, as it changes dimensions to the stuff being powder coated.

I have also exposed myself to many things over the years. It is much better today than years ago and at least we have MSDS books and can check on things. Carbide dust from grinding is some nasty stuff. Various chemicals are also. I have heard from experienced painters that paints can be unsafe if not used properly.

Sorry to contradict the hysteria, but isocyanate cured polyurethanes such as Imron merely require good practices and care. Use a disposable hooded overall and gloves. Supplied air is good, if drawn from a contamination free source, but companies such as Dräger produce breathing mask filters that work perfectly well with isocyanates. Don't get the un-cured stuff or hardener on your skin. Follow those rules and you'll be as safe as a 'professional'. If you get sensitized to it, it doesn't matter whether you're an amateur or a professional, you won't be able to use it again without danger.

While on the subject of painting machines, If useing a 2 pack acrylic high-build primer, beware of getting too thick a layer in an attempt to remove all traces of casting marks. It's not particularly tough and can lead to an easily chipped finish after covering with the 2 pack PU paints.

I have done two lathes and a BP mill. First lathe was done with Centari acrylic enamle with a urethane hardner, did a good job and easy to use and spray. When I did the mill my supplier couldn't sell Centari anymore in California so he recommended PPG Omni 2P urethane. Compared to the Centari it was crap to work with, nothing but runs and drips and no coverage, was almost as thin as water, will never use it again. On the second lathe I went with a 2P epoxy from Klasskote and it worked really nice, was full bodied and was easy to spray or brush. Was not quite as glossy as the urethanes but looks nice. With the epoxy, no primer is needed over bare metal, it's resistant to most all solvents and lubricants and can be ordered in quart or half gallon kits.
Craig

thanks for all the suggestions. My first thought was to use International paint.
That's the choice of paint where I work on all steel structures.It seems tough.
I'm going to check and see whats available of the suggestions I got here.
Thanks

Freddy the best advice is to go to the local professional paint store, not the home center stuff but the automotive and industrial suppliers. It is best to get advice and supplies from them as you will not have the problem of incompatible layers or running out of something and not being able to get more when you need it.

Let them know of some of the suggestions and see what comparable product they have.

Charles

I went to an industrial paint store and got a Devoe industrial alkyd paint.
It is fast drying and so far its easy to work with. The primer is quite filling and fast drying as well.
I have painted the chip tray ,coolant tank and back splash guard. I'm happy with the results so far.

I went to an industrial paint store and got a Devoe industrial alkyd paint.
It is fast drying and so far its easy to work with. The primer is quite filling and fast drying as well.
I have painted the chip tray ,coolant tank and back splash guard. I'm happy with the results so far.

Well keep us informed Freddy, oh and I am sorry but your user name really has me baffled...I cant see it without thinking Freddy Goat Fart....even thought I know that is not how it is spelled. :)

Charles

Back