What are You Scraping On?? - Page 25
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

n fact, I've threatened Corey more than a few times with kidnapping and enslavement. I figure if I chain him in the corner with the 10EE I can leave one of those self refilling water bowls and just toss some stale bread into the corner until he finishes it up for me.
    But then, every unnecessary surface would be perfectly scraped too!

I have again a Schaublin 102 compound (and cross slide) on my bench.
    No heavy wear, but enough to bother the owner (It would bother me too), the slide binds up on the ends as usual, when the gib is set reasonable tight.
    img_9676.jpg
    img_9685.jpg

Numbers are in 1/1000mm:
    img_9683.jpg
    img_9681.jpg

I sure love that new surface plate

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by StefanG View Post

Stefan
    High quartz content ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might be, judging by the color/flecking. But as far as I know, not everthing bright in the stone is quarz..
    (And someone told me that Quarz can be a problem, as far as piezoelectric effects goe. But thats a few levels above my paygrade.)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! That's fine by me.
    Besides, you shouldn't make fun. If you were any closer, I'd come kidnap you as well, and chain the two of you together.

Hmmm....

I might be able to fool... err... I mean talk Corey into going to IMTS. If I could get you to do the same, I could save on my own travel time and accomplish two tasks at once.... LOL.

When you two are done with the Monarch, I would just drop you off at Kinetic and let Cash chain you guys in the corner to work on all those 4 meter straight edges. LOL.

No heavy wear, but enough to bother the owner (It would bother me too), the slide binds up on the ends as usual, when the gib is set reasonable tight.
    I've been following your progress on that one. Superbly done, as usual.

5. Likes capocoreyollo, Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might be, judging by the color/flecking. But as far as I know, not everthing bright in the stone is quarz..
    (And someone told me that Quarz can be a problem, as far as piezoelectric effects goe. But thats a few levels above my paygrade.)
    Well, it'll last longer, that's for sure. Gage blocks won't like it as much but I have yet to wear one out. Few years ago I lapped a couple for a client and they really lasted well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_9676.jpg
    img_9685.jpg

Numbers are in 1/1000mm:
    img_9683.jpg
    img_9681.jpg

Stefan
    Stefan see what I mean about straight oil grooves :-) ?

Looks good, but I would zero the indicator in the low area and read plus, because thats where you will be scraping. Are you near the Austrian boarder by chance? I will be teaching there in November. Would be nice to something at Hobby Himmel again. :-)

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keyword "oil grooves" ...

There is a video (moderate quality), that shows the flow of the (black) fluid in a unusual pattern of oil grooves:
    SKC_Gitterschmiernut.mpg - YouTube

The pattern looks like joints in a wall. I guess, it seems to be interesting for lubricating large areas.

Source (click on the topic "groove foil"):
    Accessories – SKC Gleittechnik

Catalogue of the accessories:
    http://www.skc-technik.de/content/wp...ccessories.pdf

I don't know, if such patterns are useful, but perhaps in some cases it could be thinkable to make oil grooves like such ones, but without molding.

Cheers,
    Karl

9. Likes Richard King, StefanG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Karl, thanks for sharing that! That must be a similar product as Mogice.

Next time the readers are in a shop and at looking at the ways of a machine and you see a raised long area on the exposed side of a way, your looking at what a straight oil cut into the mating surface. That is why I have been preaching for years to never cut in straight oil groves into ways. :-) Look at Stefan's last picture and see what I mean. Rich

11. Likes CharlyDE liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Richard,

yes, that company (SKC Gleittechnik) produces similar products as Moglice.

Thank you for your explanation. If I understand it right, then a straight groove parallel to the sliding direction will cause not wanted less wear in the mating surface.
    I guess, that it should be better to positon a pattern of oil grooves (like that from SKC) in a manner, that none of the grooves are parallel to the sliding direction.

Cheers,
    Karl

13. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The gib of the compound was worn beyond useability - We didnt want to wait for a replacement by Schaublin and the customer didnt want a shim behind it, so I machined a new one from cast iron.

pro_schaublin120_kreuzsupport_010.jpg
    pro_schaublin120_kreuzsupport_013.jpg
    pro_schaublin120_kreuzsupport_016.jpg
    pro_schaublin120_kreuzsupport_018.jpg
    pro_schaublin120_kreuzsupport_019.jpg

The taper still needs to be fitted by scraping, but it is very close after milling it - maybe 0,01mm off over a distance of 80mm.

Are you near the Austrian boarder by chance? I will be teaching there in November. Would be nice to something at Hobby Himmel again. :-)
    Ha! I might figure something out, at least to drop by for a day, I want to see the shop of Franz anyway

Stefan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20180705_175648.jpg
    20180705_175725.jpg
    Don't think I ever posted these results. This is the surface plate I brought to the 2017 Texas class. It's an 8" x 16" and looks similar to a Brown and Sharpe but isn't marked as such. It has a "Machinery MFG. Co." tag but I think that's just an old inventory tag.

I'm counting 20-25 PPI on average at this point. If it was a machine I'd stop, but because it's for inspection, I want to continue splitting them until I'm getting 35-40 PPI. I'm going to wait until one of our granite plates is certified A grade before I continue. We unfortunately don't have certs on our plates and have never had a problem with them, but we are planning on getting them certified and if needed serviced in the near future.

No pics right now, but I'm also scraping in a 24" Dovetailed King-Way straight edge that I'll be using on the Cincinnati Universal Tool and Cutter grinder I'm rebuilding.

Not sure what will be the next machine after that. I'd like to dig into the ways and crosslide on my 16" Hendey, but lack the time and space to devote to tearing it down. I want to get a 8' straight edge and a larger surface plate to check it with before I start on it. I know it can be done with shorter straight edges, but I'd like that lathe to be top notch accurate when it's done.

At some point I'll also be rebuilding our old 10" South Bend, Kearney Treacker 2H, Cincinnati 2L, and the old round ram Bridgeport in my garage.

16. Likes lucky7, 4GSR, Richard King, swatkins, dcsipo and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello together,

one of our last Jobs was a complete rebuild of a Deckel FP3NC.
    The greatest problem was a long and deep scratch on the Front way of the Z-Axis.
    We fixed it with a GGG50 (original material) inlay.
    After scraping there is nothing more to see :-)

Scraping Parameters:
    Powerscraper Biax BL10
    Scraper Blade Biax 5/8" 15-150 Radius 50mm
    Stroke between 2/16 and 3/16
    around 30ppi with 50%
    Depth .0003"

regards, Franz from the Lüftinger Brothers :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails staender-fertig4.jpg   staender-fertig3.jpg   staender-vorher.jpg   staender-vorher2.jpg   staender-fertig.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I met the Luftinger brothers last year in Germany when the attended one of my classes. They knew how to handscrape to 40PPI and I helped them how to scrape 40 PPI with their BIAX scrapers. Their history is a lot like mine, their Father taught them how to rebuild machinery and scrape and when he passed, they took over his company. I'll let them tell more....They introduced me to store bought ground lapping stones and I have to admit the work 100% better then the Norton stones I give out during the classes. The plan BIAX and I have is when I retire they will take over the European Classes Biax Hosts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171129_092506.jpg   20171127_164516.jpg   20171128_114027.jpg   img-20171201-wa0001.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Stefan see what I mean about straight oil grooves:-)?

Looks good, but I would zero the indicator in the low area and read plus because that's where you will be scraping.
    Makes sense , but you those Germans, they like things complicated . In Stefan's defense, sometimes things just end up that way, you zero where you think it is low, and then there is the place you did not think of .

dee
    ;-D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not exciting enough for picts - rough scraping the bottom of my milling vise with a newly arrived, Biax 7ELM/carbide blade. Nice tool.