What's new
What's new

When it lots of wear too much

TriMan

Plastic
Hi All,
I am rebuilding an English Eagle manual surface grinder and it has some significant wear on the table. I wanted to get your opinion on whether it is too much wear and how to approach the rebuild.
The second photo shows where the table has been worn. The main ways have worn right down so there is no more clearance in the middle away from the ways. But even this has started to wear down, as shown by the ringed parts.
I haven't yet measured the wear, but given all the factory clearance has been used up and then even more, it looks in the order of 2-3mm. That's about 100 thou.
I've practised scraping with dimensions 1/10 of these values and I'm a little worried about the amount of wear in this table.
I know I can put it on the mill and get back the clearance and rough out the ways with the mill and then scrape in the difference.
But my main question is to check if this sounds like just too much wear.

Craig

Attachments

• SurfaceGrinderTable_pic1.jpg
    SurfaceGrinderTable_pic1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 156
  • SurfaceGrinderWear_pic1.jpg
    SurfaceGrinderWear_pic1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 169
I'm no expert on grinders, but I'm not sure how the ways could be so worn without affecting the drive rack to pinion clearance. Are you sure things are worn by up to 3mm? Wouldn't the rack and pinion have to wear that much too? Or is the mesh adjustable?

As far as this goes, if the table has adequate thickness to it such that you can cut things flat again without compromising stiffness too much, and you're willing to put the work in, AND the machine is in good shape otherwise, then sure, machine, then scrape it in.

Back