Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=nickom;3594439]Hi Ballen,

I have only just bought the machine and haven't had it running just yet, need to sort out VFD etc and sort out the controls to work with VFDs etc.

The machine came fitted with the DRO , it was stripped and refurbished by Andmar in 2006 so the DRO could have been fitted by them

Attachment 295340 Here is the part number on the scale.

here is closer look at the attachment to the column
    Attachment 295341

Attachment 295342

Attachment 295343

As a crude way of checking resolution I zero the dial and the DRO and rotated until it registered on the DRO. it looks like its 5 micro meters.

here are the pics.

Attachment 295344 DRO zeroed

index-0.jpg Index zeroed

index-0_005.jpg Index turned until registered on DRO, (this was approx 0.004 rather than 0.005)

dro-0_005.jpg DRO showing 0.005

It looks like the scale is mounted to the main casting and the moving part is mounted to the column inside

I hope this is helps

Nick

PS anyone know how to rotate the pictures?

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Nick,

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I have a constructive comment about the setup of your DRO.

The resolution of the system should be much higher, at least 1 micron (which is the resolution on your vertical dial) and ideally a factor of two or five finer.

The good news is that since your LS303C scale is an 11 microamp analog (sinusoidal) scale, you can reconfigure the display to operate at much higher resolution. Personally I would set it to 0.5 or 0.2 microns.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Hi Nick,

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I have a constructive comment about the setup of your DRO.

The resolution of the system should be much higher, at least 1 micron (which is the resolution on your vertical dial) and ideally a factor of two or five finer.

The good news is that since your LS303C scale is an 11 microamp analog (sinusoidal) scale, you can reconfigure the display to operate at much higher resolution. Personally I would set it to 0.5 or 0.2 microns.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Excellent thank you.

4. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a chat today with someone who has worked at Jones & Shipman and still services their machines (including the 540). He said that J&S mounted the vertical scales inside the column, not on the center over the vertical lead screw but towards the left side of the machine (looking from the back). The horizontal (cross-slide) scale was typically mounted underneath the cross screw, in between the bottom of the saddle and the top of the machine base. There seems to be a "slot" that goes through the machine there, which has enough space for a glass scale.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's more than a year since I last posted about this, but I finally got the vertical axis scale installed. Some details (photos) are here in the Metrology forum:

Best practice: vertical axis DRO scale on a surface grinder

The resolution of the DRO is 0.1 microns, or 4 millions of an inch. It's remarkably stable, even with the machine running the last digit doesn't flicker (though it does slowly shift as the machine warms or cools).

7. Likes CBlair liked this post