What's new
What's new

Davis#4 Keyseater - bushings?

FullFusion

Plastic
I recently picked up a Davis 4 key seater. I made about 45 keyways on the first job and it worked alright but was a bit noisy. Found slop in the connecting rod pin. I figured the bushing were worn and I would take it apart and make new ones. Got it all apart today and it seems like there are not bushings, the shafts just run in the castings.
How would you guys go about repairing this. Bore the casting out and install bronze bushings or bore the castings out and put in oversized shafts to fit the new bore and let it run the same way?
Thanks
Jim

Not seeing a photo, I would say to bore and bush with a bronze bushing. Be sure to leave the bore big enough and cut in some grease groves and make it has a Zerk feeding the grove. If there isn't a grease fitting now drill one and make the machine better then new If you look inside a Machinists Handbook it shows clearance spec's for different sized bushings and RPM. I also drill and tap, 1/2 and 1/2 the bushing outside circumference and the cast iron to screw in a set screw to anchor the bushing.

Thank you for the reply Richard.
I’ll take a few pics out of interest and add them later on. I will do as you suggested, those were my initial thoughts as well. After more thought I was wondering if there was a reason it wasn’t built with a bronze bushings, either then cost savings at the time of build?
I like your idea to add a set screw to the bushing itself 👍

QUOTE=Richard King;3894543]Not seeing a photo, I would say to bore and bush with a bronze bushing. Be sure to leave the bore big enough and cut in some grease groves and make it has a Zerk feeding the grove. If there isn't a grease fitting now drill one and make the machine better then new If you look inside a Machinists Handbook it shows clearance spec's for different sized bushings and RPM. I also drill and tap, 1/2 and 1/2 the bushing outside circumference and the cast iron to screw in a set screw to anchor the bushing.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, machine is vintage 1965 and has seen better days, made a new connecting rod and put bushings in it........

If you were in the States, I would recommend you contact these guys for pre made bronze bushings. You could check for price, but with the customs, you maybe better to make your own.
Their website sucks, but I have been buying bushings from them for years. They are fair on prices. www.gobeilco.com

Richard,

Thanks for the general info on bushings, I have some I need to replace in my Colchester lathe. However, instead of using a set screw like you described to secure the bushings, they used a roll pin. What a pain that was to remove!

To the OP, I would note that McMaster Carr has bushings as well. Since you need to bore out the casting, it would seem that you have a lot more freedom to select off the shelf bushings since you can design around them.

Back