What's new
What's new

Wolf ZX 100K polymer alloy glideway bearing material?

jCandlish

Titanium
Appartently this material is an alternative to Turcite-B for glideway reconditioning.

It is very different from Turcite in that it is not a PTFE. It is also harder and comes in granules, blocks and sheets. It is claimed to be a dry running replacement for bronze (up to 110°C).

Can anybody here say from experience how ZX100K compares to Turcite-B or bronze?

Thanks
<jbc>

Never heard of it. I did read through their web-site and was looking for photo's of machine it is on. I could not find anything there or anywhere. Did you? Rich

Thanks Richard.

They have an application example .pdf ==> http://zedex.de/fileadmin/contentadmin_images/download/Downloadbereich/Anwendungen/Applications.pdf

In that document pages 19-34 give examples of use for the machine tool industry. Their refereces page lists several machine tool builders ==> Wolf Kunststoff-Gleitlager GmbH: References. Interestingly it also lists Saint-Gobain, which I think is the parent company producing Rulon?

There are some machine tool rebuilders over here offering a choice between ZX100K and Turcite-B. Pages 23-24 of Wolf's Application.pdf claim superior wear characteristcs with 2x the service life and less plastice deformation than PTFE-Bronze materials.

I first learned of ZX100 yesterday when searching for a Turcite supplier. The chemistry of the Wolf material is newer than PTFE-Bronze, so it could have some advantages?

I would like to know first hand from someone who has used the material how it comparess to PTFE-Bronze, specifically in the application of machine tool glideways.

Thanks again,
<jbc>

I heard back from my friends at Tri-Star. Dave gave me permission to share this:
Hi Richard,
I am very familiar with this material and our friends at Wolf-Kunststoff have taken some great liberties in using the ZX-100K in machine tool slideways. This material is a PET-P polyester with lubricants added. I suspect they may have also added a small amount of glass to improve compressive strength. There are some obvious indicators in the specs compared to standard PET-P that would bear me out on that. Our product that is very, very close is Ultraflon RTX. My only question would be why would anyone use it. You can’t get it in thin tapes, only extruded sheets although they show down to 2mm thick. The one thing they don’t mention is finishing. This material is more rigid then 142 or Turcite so I wonder how it would scrape? Anyway, that’s what the material is and I guess it goes back to the days of the European’s using phenolic/Bakelite slideways!
Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.
Regards,

David Biering| Technical Director | TriStar Plastics Corp. | (714)660-4915 |(714)279-9664 Fx

Back