What's new
What's new

1964 Monarch 10EE Module Drive Tool Room Lathe $3500

metal4130

Aluminum
Up for sale is this 1964 Monarch 10EE tool room lathe. It is the 20" between centers model and it has the electronic lead screw reverse function

Last edited:
This was originally a module drive machine but it has been converted at some point in its life. The original 5HP General Electric DC motor and original back gear assembly is still in use and has not been removed.

GREAT positive news!

The previous owner has installed a Hampton Products Co. solid state DC converter in the machine. I do not know anything about this drive but it does appear this company is still in business. I am able to power this machine up and get the spindle running. The ELSR functions exactly like it is supposed to. The speed change is done with a potentiometer near the coolant on/off switch. I can not get the machine to go over 1000 RPM the way it is set up

It could be easily made to go faster by dropping the field power, but at the expense of substantially reduced Torque and stability, as it is already significantly underpowered, even if smooth and capable of making many chips.

Three-phase may be wired to it, but it isn't using all legs.

The drive is on the right is single-phase input, outputs but 180 Volts DC to an armature nameplated for 230 VDC, and known to be over-driven by Monarch to 245-255 VDC, even so. This limits both max power and max RPM by more than just the ratio of 180 to 230, as these goods are not perfectly linear. Basically, the 5 HP motor is being run at less than 3 HP and about 1/4 of its design maximum RPM - shorted on available current as well as Voltage.

Which is still decent - just not full OEM 10EE performance!

The drive on the left supplies the Field, and is also single-phase in, but should have all the Voltage as well as current the motor needs, plus a substantial reserve.

Anyone who wants to do can follow a PM thread and upgrade it back to full OEM performance as to power and max RPM by use of a different DC Drive capable of the full Voltage and power needed.

It isn't that hard, and there is plenty of help and guidance, "Right here, on PM".

If I didn't already have TWO 10EE, plus another fine lathe, your one would be VERY tempting at the price asked!

All the best at finding it a new "minder".

:)

Bill

Back