What's new
What's new

1970's 10EE Square Dial Module drive

scphantm

Cast Iron
Please read all of this as the logistics of picking it up are VERY important.

I have to get rid of my 10EE for a variety of reasons. I started working on her here.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/exciting-life-lucille-247521/?highlight=lucille

Life happened, and I needed to put it in storage. Well, life happened again (several times) culminating in buyings a new house. I no longer have a place to put it. I also came to two other realizations. I no longer have the back, nor do i have the tools and skills to rebuilt it. I am willing to let it go for $1000 for the 3 jaw, the sjogren style chuck, aloris toolpost, and various other drill chucks and doodads i have for it.

When I bought this, the apron was trashed. It had been used to turn a LOT of plastic and packed the apron full of plastic. It was nearly completely seized up. This is what i started rebuilding when life happened. The purchaser will have to finish what i started. The electronics worked last i put power to it, which was many years ago. I made special effort to make sure the module wasn't damaged over the years.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...tle-clutch-housings-250747/?highlight=lucille
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ssembly-square-dial-252391/?highlight=lucille

LOGISTICS.

I do not have the physical ability to help you move this. Here is its current situation.

Issue 1 - the lathe body itself - about 3100 pounds.
The lathe at the moment is sitting in a storage pod. Its on a hardwood pallet and with a pallet jack (which i don't have, but may be able to borrow, MAYBE!!) and some creative blocking and floor jack work, can be taken out of the storage container its on and put on the street.

One challenge, I am moving into a house with a brick street. so once its on the ground, rolling it around is not an option, unless you bring some boards to run the pallet jack on. I have two hemlock boards that its resting on now, but even with that, its going to be scary to move it anywhere with a pallet jack as the street is very uneven (it was paved in 1900). The purchaser is going to have to figure out the logistics of getting it out of the storage pod and onto your trailer. I would recommend a crane. There is about a 6 inch drop from the floor of the pod to the street, so if you can get ahold of a rollback truck with a winch, that would by far be the easiest. then you just need to bring something to use as a roller to roll it onto the truck and it would never have to touch the brick.

Again, these logistics are on you, i will give you all the information i can, but my back won't let me help much.

Issue 2, the rest of the parts.
This lathe is spread across 3 different storage pods and i can only have one pod delivered at a time. The body and most of the parts are in the first one, but much of it is in the other two. The other parts are small enough that I can move on my own, so 4 - 6 weeks after picking up the lathe body, I will get together with you and coordinate picking up the remaining pieces. Im fine with meeting you somewhere for the rest of the pieces. I also ordered the full set of blueprints and manuals from Monarch for this machine. Those will be included in the second load.

Issue 3, Timing and terms.
We will schedule things when I come to terms with someone about this machine. I have some time to work with, but the body needs gone in the next 2 weeks so I can get the rest of my family's stuff moved in (again, can only park one pod at a time). Since i have to schedule the pod being delivered, and dealing with city to get a permit to park the pod, etc, etc, you must stick to the schedule.

The location will be East Washington PA.

Google Maps

email me, [email protected] and lets make a deal.

Thanks

Good luck to you. You going to have an very hard time selling a lathe as complicated as a 10ee that is all tore apart let alone the buyer not being able to see all of it before they buy it.

given your two week time frame I expect you'll have to give this away, selling the tooling later.

Looks like a 1950s machine, not a 70s machine.

E-mail sent, I can rescue her per your timeline and rigging situation. But someone else please step up to the plate, just want to save 'er from the scrappers.

Any progress in finding the gal a new home?

I am too far away to add it to my collection of project/rescue machines in storage.. ahem.

The OP says the lathe is in 3 pods, and only one pod can be present at a time. The balance of parts are in two pods, and he can move those parts.

What if the OP first moved the parts to a rented storage unit. And then, the new owner only needs to show up once to transfer the lathe from the pod. If using a drop deck trailer it would never need to touch the brick street. Pick up the parts, and done?

The process of getting this Monarch back in action started last night! Very excited to say the least! Sorry for not having a better picture, busy evening! :)

Attachments

• 20190508_214855.jpg
    20190508_214855.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 121
Glad to hear it!

The pallet does not look as happy as we are.

If it is going west to Michigan/Ohio, the weather is very wet in spots.

Yes, they were calling for rain today, so got on it last night ASAP when the container hit the ground. She's sitting inside now in SE Ohio and did not meet any rain last night...the pallet did take beating!

Back