What's new
What's new

Any demand for motor rewinding equipment???

Phil in Montana

Stainless
As most of you know I am in the possess of closing down a large repair shop here in Montana. With the cvd 19 and an election year it has been slow. I now have to deal with all the electric motor equipment. I have not rewound motors in years, but I have all of the equipment to do so, winders and heads, shears for insulation and benders, ovens,Big DC motor under-cutters ect. Is there any demand or should it just go to scrap. I quit winding motors because it was too labor intensive with little profit. If you have a need send me a pm and I will send you a list with a good prices. I hate to just scrap it but I need the building empty...Phil

I sold quite a few winding machines some years ago, they all went to Mexico or further south, and they paid far better than scrap. Use google translate and post some of your ads in spanish, and post them in major cities on the southern border. Best if you are willing to palletize and shrinkwrap for shipping. Price them right and leave some room for haggling, fixed prices are an American construct, nobody in Mexico pays listed price, haggling is how deals are made.

I have a shop near me that does it, i think he rebuilds motors for $800 for a 20Hp 3 phase when they are 1600-2000 new. the guy is always busy

I actually worked as a sales rep for a motor rewinding shop between machining jobs a little over 35 years ago. It seems the cut-off in size where it is worth paying for repair versus buying new seems to have risen quite a bit over the decades. They rewound motors back then that were as small as 1 HP, definitely not the case any more. I would suspect it is all the motors on the shelf that are now made in 3rd world countries.

In general 200 hp ac motors and down are now considered to be not worth repairing in main stream industrial facilities. Some people still repair them.

I was told when the contents of TAW Augusta and Macon motor repair shops went to action in September, much of it went for stupid money. I don't understand it.

Rewind shop near me is primarily captive to a steel mill. They do fair volume, but I don't see how they make a profit with 1/2 a dozen fulltime guys on the payroll.

Hey, your inbox is full. Not sure if I can afford the stuff but shoot me some prices and I'll can see what I can do.

Back