What's new
What's new

1994 Hardinge HLV-EM lathe for sale....gawd, I hate to sell this...

Very NICE! :D

I note the information labels on the bosses of the Speed and Feed levers ... was this original?
Yes. As mentioned in the listing the ONLY thing on this lathe not "perfect" is the oil information label on top of the carriage and just by happenstance I have a new one of those from years ago in my box of machine labels.... but no time to install it. Or does my mentioning that get folks to wondering if any other labels are not original ? If so I should go ahead and install the damn thing, take new pictures, and not make mention of it !

I see no issue with your eBay advert at all ... as for the carriage label, mine is currently in German and I'm waiting to fit a new plate too.

However that was not my question ... I'm very interested to see if the labels as shown below on your machine are genuine Hardinge ones or an after product, either way I really like them as they "look" more pleasing to the eye rather than the earlier rectangular plates behind the levers

Genuine Hardinge Labels ??

John :cheers:

Yes. As mentioned in the listing the ONLY thing on this lathe not "perfect" is the oil information label on top of the carriage and just by happenstance I have a new one of those from years ago in my box of machine labels.... but no time to install it. Or does my mentioning that get folks to wondering if any other labels are not original ? If so I should go ahead and install the damn thing, take new pictures, and not make mention of it !

LOL! Was about to pounce over "no time" to install a LABEL?

Then realized I had best take the County tax stickers paid for a month ago out of the glovebox and get them onto the windscreen of both vehicles. Before I get fined for not displaying a current sticker.

For the third time.

Thanks for the "trigger"!

LOL! Was about to pounce over "no time" to install a LABEL?
Well of course I could "make time" for it....but just didn't seem that important. Plus I can't remember where my "drive screw" collection is since I moved shops years ago. Probably could use original drive screws but might bugger one up in removal process.

I see no issue with your eBay advert at all ... as for the carriage label, mine is currently in German and I'm waiting to fit a new plate too.

However that was not my question ... I'm very interested to see if the labels as shown below on your machine are genuine Hardinge ones or an after product, either way I really like them as they "look" more pleasing to the eye rather than the earlier rectangular plates behind the levers

Genuine Hardinge Labels ??
Yes, original Hardinge labels....absolutely everything original except the tool carosel stand...unless Monarchist badgers me into changing out that little oil label on the carriage ;)

As an aside, if anyone thinks the price is too high, compare to this POS -

11" x 2" HARDINGE MODEL HLV-EM LATHE: STOCK # 59679 | eBay

Besides the horrible slathered paint, it's the older style with dual dials everywhere, no DRO, no tooling except steady rest and a few 5C collets (probably Chinese ones at that) If that POS is "worth" $29,500 then mine should be more like $85,000 !!! And yeah of course he'll never ever get that for it....but just sayin'....

Yes, original Hardinge labels....absolutely everything original except the tool carosel stand...unless Monarchist badgers me into changing out that little oil label on the carriage ;)

Tempting, but "time"...I still have several tons of dirt and gravel to get put somewhere other than in huge piles about a mere .23 acre lot. Oh.. and rotted wooden carport pillars to replace before I can hang a new ceiling out there.. and.. and... finish the kitchen makeover so the new fridge can come out of the living room, new dishwasher not block the entrance hall.. and.. and...

Residences. One does not "own" a home. It owns YOU.

That said, I think boats are worse-yet?

Put the damned label on the Hardinge before you misplace the silly thing. It may be all you can "reach" this week that gives a sense of completion as quickly and cheaply. "Paid for" arredy ain't it?

Lucky dog!

:D

"gawd, I hate to sell this..."

LOL! I'd "hate to sell" just about every machine I saw under yer roof!

There's the curse of understanding and appreciating fine goods then trying to deal in them.

Coveting one's own merchandise instead of ....thy neighbour's wife... fine wines.. or sumthin' less "durable"..

:D
LMAO :D The one machine I've always told myself I would NEVER sell, is my Schaublin 135 lathe.... but hell..I'd even sell that if it would help secure this house deal. I just figured for the 135 it would take a while, as there are so fewer potential buyers in the USA that appreciate Schaublins compared to Hardinge HLV-H and EM's and I don't have "a while" in this case.

In reality I will probably not have to sell anything but I'm concerned the appraisal on my current house will not be as high as it needs to be thus being proactive as there is a "closing" deadline looming and I can't take the chance on the appraisal being up to snuff, especially now that the banks are forced to choose appraisers at random, I could get stuck with a complete idiot appraiser.

(will explain "the new house" at a later date if you are curious...very unique situation that never occurred to me could even exist)

LMAO :D The one machine I've always told myself I would NEVER sell, is my Schaublin 135 lathe.... but hell..I'd even sell that if it would help secure this house deal (will explain "the house" at a later date if you are curious...very unique situation that never occurred to me could even exist) I just figured for the 135 it would take a while, as there are so fewer potential buyers in the USA that appreciate Schaublins compared to Hardinge HLV-H and EM's and I don't have "a while" in this case.

I think you're right about the 135 and of course don't know the details of your "what sounds sad" house issues ... but, and NOT wanting to rub salt in the wounds ...

Should you have a Hardinge L3 and L4 in your collection then I'll be very happy to subscribe to your funds.

John :typing:

LMAO :D The one machine I've always told myself I would NEVER sell, is my Schaublin 135 lathe.... but hell..I'd even sell that if it would help secure this house deal. I just figured for the 135 it would take a while, as there are so fewer potential buyers in the USA that appreciate Schaublins compared to Hardinge HLV-H and EM's and I don't have "a while" in this case.

In reality I will probably not have to sell anything but I'm concerned the appraisal on my current house will not be as high as it needs to be thus being proactive as there is a "closing" deadline looming and I can't take the chance on the appraisal being up to snuff, especially now that the banks are forced to choose appraisers at random, I could get stuck with a complete idiot appraiser.
Schaublin's obviously take pride of place, given that you seems to have forgotten you even still held the Cazeneuve now mine in inventory.

Or Deckels. WTH? Are you successfully BREEDING those in captivity?
Or has the word got round that Dogpatch by the Sea is a good place for a Deckel to retire to and they creep in under the door when you ain't looking?

:)

On the house? BTDTGTTS, insisted on MY price, regardless, and got it. More than once. Buyer's method of financing to meet it not my concern.

Sold Mum's former residence above market, three days or so BEFORE it hit MLS actual publication, and as an all-cash deal, as well. So it CAN be done.

Providing, of course that the SELLER has not let hisself get time-crunch desperate...

(will explain "the new house" at a later date if you are curious...very unique situation that never occurred to me could even exist)

I am interested in that. Very.

Many options actually explored on several continents, Emily and I have a long-running "issue" over two homes on just the two continents. Now 27 years in, long-since retired, age 80 but seven years off for me now, (should I be privileged to live that long - or longer).

We still haven't found an "old age" final decision that suits the both of us.

Whata deal, if these were still made it would probably cost more than $80K!

Perhaps twice that. PM's annals hold some serious "market" prices for Monarch 10EE's done and certificated to new specs by Monarch Lathe LP. Mass differs significantly, usable spindle HP a bit less-so, work envelope and precision within it is otherwise very similar, those two examples alone.

That machine is awesome. I really wish I could swing the Brother you have for sale. It would be ideal for what I want. I've watched it for a while now. Not that I'd kick the Hardinge out of bed either.

Beautiful machine! I would put the carriage tag on it and delete the part about the tag needing replaced. My feeling is even such minor things tends to break the excitement a buyer has and makes them quickly take a second look, searching for "why nots". If something is "wrong" enough for the seller to mention it, what else could not be right?

Not sure how long it will be for sale before you might get cold feet, but it would be extremely interesting to see how such a machine would do in the market. I would be very curious if the buyer would be someone with a "want" and the means to make it happen, or someone that actually would need a machine like this.

It kills me to think that in 1987 I bought two of these machines, brand new right off the line for about $18K each including the DRO. I had just bought a new DSM-59 two months prior. Hardinge made it easy to and they helped to launch hundreds of small shops just like mine. within a few months a new CHNC with a FAPT 10TF would arrive and change everything, for the better of course.

I remember that Hardinge wrapped everything in paper and coated tools in some type of protectant that I can't remember the name of it right now but I loved the smell. Even today the smell of that stuff on an old never opened Hardinge tool brings me back to those days instantly.

Good luck with the sale

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

There was a REALLY nice looking older model EM that sold on Feebay recently for 23.3 (I assume no tooling other than the collets mentioned, and no DRO). Hardinge HLV-EM | eBay cheers.
As you say, that is a much older EM with the dual dials on cross and compound. As they need internal gearing to compensate for inch to metric turns the dials are less pleasant to turn than the direct to screw dials of the newer DR model like mine. Wonder what the backlash was ? Mine is .005" in cross feed, .002" on the compound and .001" on the long feed. Yes, .001"...I was amazed.

Also notice in his video the spindle sounds ok but mine sounds beyond ok...like virtually no sound at all.

FWIW, I sold another machine today and thus my need for the house down payment decreased so I took the Hardinge off eBay for now...it is just such a nice one I can't stand to let it go just yet.

Back