2015 Brother R450 W/two Brother T200 4ths installed. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Rotary table changer setup is vastly superior to Midaco style.

I have junked a few and sold a few Midaco setups that still had a bit of life left in them. I would never want one on anything. They are about as cheese dick as you can get. Last setup I removed from a production environment because they had to slow the process down so far for lack of rigidity all pallet change benefits were moot.
    I have had to run a few haas machines through my career that had midacos on them. Junk would be an upgrade.
    The integration to the machine looked like cousin sally's meth-head uncle-daddy had a good weekend. And they were about as reliable as a wet match.
    My haas with the factory haas sliding-pallet changer is on a whole different level. Like comparing a Lexus to a LeCar. It actually works.
    Even still, it is archaic compared to the Brothers.

2. Likes eaglemike, 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Rotary table changer setup is vastly superior to Midaco style.

(snippped here)

The rotary table type machines have been around a long time. A lot of these style machines that are 20+ years old and not fast enough to bring home the bacon anymore are used for mixed work with a 4th on one table and fixtures/vises on the other.
    There's room on the tables for a vise next to the 4th, from what I can see. Or a 4th could be taken off on side of the rotary table. These machines are so fast one doesn't need to worry about speed for any reasonable sort of work.
    I'm now getting to the point (old) where I need to start thinking about down sizing, or I'd be all over this deal. Brother stuff is long lived, one can get parts quickly (at least in the US) and they are supported well (again at least in the US).

Smaller machines are indeed harder to get right now.

Good luck with your sale W/K!

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    There's room on the tables for a vise next to the 4th, from what I can see. Or a 4th could be taken off on side of the rotary table.
    After a lot of the posts in this thread, I've been thinking about keeping one of the 4ths to do just that in my 650.
    I feel the fact that I'm hard/fast on selling "as-is" narrows my potential buyers greatly (can't blame them!).

I'm now getting to the point (old) where I need to start thinking about down sizing
    I'm right there with you brother. I'm a young 50, and I want to keep it that way. Stress is not good for a guy (gal). And I've had enough.
    I feel so much better since that job shut down. Eye opener for sure!

Good luck with your sale W/K!
    Thank you Sir. Its a good machine. Somebody will come along that needs it more than me.
    But, I don't mind owning it one bit. Maybe work will come along before a new owner? Who knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And.......SOLD!
    Thank you Gentlemen.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good for you! And good for whoever bought it. That was a good deal.

My parts that i hope to need such a machine for in the future are all strip parts. I need a 4th and probably will need the end support (which may well make the 450 too small). But I will still need a vise on the table to machine off the back side. With an R450 it would be possible I suppose to do one op on one side of the table and and the second op on the other. Maybe that's the way to go. But, would there have been enough room on this machine to slide the 4th off the end of the table some to allow more table room for a vise? I'm almost positive a 650 would work for me in this application but if a 450 would work it's something to think about for the future. Also, op1 on one side and op2 on the other might be as productive. I like the idea of getting finished parts off both sides though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats Wheelie. Hope things go well for you. Pete, there are more compact 4th options for the R450:

4th-subplate-r450.jpg

4th-sublate-r450-2-.jpg

A good practice on a pallet machine is to try to balance the cycle times, so op10 and op20 on both pallets or op10 pallet 1, op20 pallet 2 if the cycles are fairly balanced...

9. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    Good for you! And good for whoever bought it. That was a good deal.

My parts that i hope to need such a machine for in the future are all strip parts. I need a 4th and probably will need the end support (which may well make the 450 too small). But I will still need a vise on the table to machine off the back side. With an R450 it would be possible I suppose to do one op on one side of the table and and the second op on the other. Maybe that's the way to go. But, would there have been enough room on this machine to slide the 4th off the end of the table some to allow more table room for a vise? I'm almost positive a 650 would work for me in this application but if a 450 would work it's something to think about for the future. Also, op1 on one side and op2 on the other might be as productive. I like the idea of getting finished parts off both sides though.
    I doubt it. As it is, you have to set position parameters to position the column just so, to even do a pallet change. And the 4ths just clear the new wider opening created by the new sheet metal Brother supplies for this package. I think you could run a very small single station vise along with a 4th on each side. But not an outside support and a vise.

Let me know if you want specific pics in the next 12 or so hours. I am installing the shipping brackets, and de-commissioning the machine this weekend.

11. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20111216150017-2-.jpg

This shows how you can push the rotary. This is on a R2B (older smaller version of R450) but we pushed the set up so far we had to have conformation the tailstock was forward before allowing pallet change.

13. Likes wheelieking71, Pete Deal liked this post