What's new
What's new

3 Fadals for sale on Long Island

Volitan

Hot Rolled
I'm not selling these, just putting them here as a favor to the seller. I didn't set the prices nor can I negotiate.

They have to be moved this month, they need some work, I'm sure there's a fair bit of room for negotiation. Don't be afraid to contact them and make an offer.

The eBay ads have very little information, so I went there to at least be sure of the options and took a quick look at each one and made some notes.

If any PM member thinks they might have a serious interest in any of them but has some questions that can't be answered by the seller, either tell them to have Dave (me) check it out or let me know here and I'll be happy to go there again and verify what ever you need.

2000 VMC4020HT - $8000
s-l1600.jpg
FADAL VMC4020HT Vertical Machining Center (2000) | eBay
The sheet in the back cabinet says: Cat 40, 21 Tool ATC, Rigid Tapping, High Speed CPU, Graphics. I noticed this one had a card in the "M Function" slot where the other one didn't. The spindle sounded good, there's a noise in X and a quiet but noticeable clunking sound when you change directions in X. The Y and Z axes sounded good.

1998 VMC3016 - $5500
s-l1600-1.jpg
Fadal VMC-3016 | eBay
The plate on the back says "VMC-3016" but the sheet in the back cabinet had "VMC3016HT" checked, not the "VMC3016" box. I don't know what the difference is. The sheet also says: Cat 40, 21 Tool ATC, Rigid Tapping, High Speed CPU, Graphics, Front Disk Drive, Servo Coolant. It also said there was a 4 meg memory expansion included but the ME command only showed 43k like the 4020 they are selling. The servo coolant didn't seem to move with the knob in front. Y and Z also sound very good on this one. It has a noise in X. Since I thought a buddy might want this for his garage I popped the cover and had a closer look. The noise is coming from the right side where the motor/thrust bearing assembly is. The screw looked good and had lube on it. The box ways had some small lines on the top but also had lube. The bearing support on the left side of the screw needs attention. The screw seems a little loose in the bearing or the bearing is bad. Couldn't tell. I put an "M3 S1000" in MDI to listen to the spindle the air valve kept clicking and "Waiting on air valve" kept coming up on the screen until it eventually alarmed out. After that the spindle would turn on but not the correct RPM. The screen showed it was commanded at 1000 but running at a little over 3000. Commanded 2000 showed somewhere over 5000. The spindle override wasn't on. Mechanically it sounded fine though, but the whole air valve / belt / pulley thing they have going on up there needs attention. They still use this one to mill material down to size it looks like.

2005 VMC3016L - $7500
s-l1600-2.jpg
2005 Fadal VMC-3016L | eBay
The sheet in the back cabinet says: Cat 40, 21 Tool ATC, Rigid Tapping, 7500 RPM, High Speed CPU, Graphics, CNC88HS Control, Flat Panel Color Monitor, 4 Meg Memory Expansion (which checks out with the ME command - 4,032k I think it said). The tool changer on this one needs adjustment in my opinion. It changes tools fine but it didn't look to line up 100% during tool change. The coolant pump doesn't work, but they are using it daily. This one seems to have no other issues than those 2 things.

Last edited:
Glad you sold them, I would hate to imagine what a rigger would charge moving a machine from Long Island, drove through there once, never again, worst traffic I have ever seen.

Back