What's new
What's new

3 Metal Lathes for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehall1975

Plastic
Hi guys, I'm new here and was hoping someone could help me with some lathes I'm looking at buying. There are three of them and the guy passed away and the people who go and clean out the houses for the bank are trying to sell them to get them out of the way and I figured I'd try and see if anyone here would be interested in one or all three? The guy used them to make pool sticks and has fabricated some pretty cool stuff to attach a router to them. I dont know how to post pictures so if anyone knows what they are worth or interested in them feel free to contact me and I can send pictures. 606-694-2051
The model numbers are:
Central Machine TD-1236E
Enco 12x36 Gear Head 110-2075
And Not sure brand but CQ6230 Mach# 3746

I sort of empathize with your situation. This board doesn't respond well to Asian machines and their problems. Nor lower class hobby lathes. People may get pissed about it but there is a Standard. We may have an Asian 12x36 in the basement because stripped it was the only lathe of that capacity which could navigate around corners, down steps, turn around and wheeled to the bench. We just don't talk about them here because the flood gates would be open and obscure the real stuff going on.

I sort of empathize with your situation. This board doesn't respond well to Asian machines and their problems. Nor lower class hobby lathes. People may get pissed about it but there is a Standard. We may have an Asian 12x36 in the basement because stripped it was the only lathe of that capacity which could navigate around corners, down steps, turn around and wheeled to the bench. We just don't talk about them here because the flood gates would be open and obscure the real stuff going on.

Let’s get something straight here, there is NO problem with “Asian” machines. Please don’t be ignorant.
The problem we have here is with garbage no matter where it came from. Last I looked, Atlas wasn’t “Asian”.
Thing is, in the last 25 years, most of the worst has come from China. So no, it’s NOT Asia that’s the culprit.
The very best machines on the planet have come from Japan for quite a while, with Korea not far behind. Some really good stuff comes from China now and then too. Snap out of your small minded racist BS.

To follow the above post, I have an "Asian" jig borer and surface grinder that make no apologies for country of origin. It's about the level of build quality in a machine, or the lack of it, that sets the bar for discussion here. There are plenty of American/European products that don't inspire discussion for similar issues with build quality. Japanese companies in America I've worked at often have Japanese machine tools (surprise) that are of excellent quality. I would presume the Chinese are capable of producing good machines too, we just don't get them here in the U.S. This is not a slap at the poster that failed to qualify his remarks, he probably knows there's a difference but just didn't explain his opinion well enough.

To follow the above post, I have an "Asian" jig borer and surface grinder that make no apologies for country of origin. It's about the level of build quality in a machine, or the lack of it, that sets the bar for discussion here. There are plenty of American/European products that don't inspire discussion for similar issues with build quality. Japanese companies in America I've worked at often have Japanese machine tools (surprise) that are of excellent quality. I would presume the Chinese are capable of producing good machines too, we just don't get them here in the U.S. This is not a slap at the poster that failed to qualify his remarks, he probably knows there's a difference but just didn't explain his opinion well enough.

Yeah I take no offense to anything to be honest man.... I know absolutely nothing about any of these three machines. I was just posting to try and help a friend out who works for the banks cleaning these repossessed dumps out and try to see if I couldn't help them sell them cheap and get rid of them.

Yeah I decided they were too heavy for me to buy and store in the way so I told them I'd try and help unload them. They weight well over 1000# each which is too heavy for any of them to sit on my bench and they are all much bigger than I was thinking as well. Too much for someone who wouldn't ever use them more than likely.

Value kind of depends on what accessories/tooling are with the machines. The accessories/tooling are "usually" worth more than the machine.

Pictures are a necessity to sell anything, as well as what else is with them.

I have a central machinery 12x36, it's not the same number you have listed but it's probably the same machine. They are 220V single phase so perfect for a home shop. The 2 times I've used it I've been happy with it. The chip table and base/ legs unbolt from the lathe to make moving it easier. I think it's around 1,000 pounds, maybe less. It was really easy to move it in 4 pieces with a cherry picker in the bed of my pickup, the chip tray and bases are pretty light if it comes with a base.

I haven't had to buy parts yet but grizzly 12x36 parts are supposed to work. Mine came with a steady rest, follower, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, face plate with the stand, and quick change tool post with a couple holders. It's a 1997 machine, the 2nd old guy owner bought it from the first old guy owner in 2009, 2nd old guy went as far as running power to it and never event bolted it together, just sat on the base. It still has cosomoline on parts and doesn't appear to have any wear. I paid $2,400 for it. Colorado machine prices are pretty ridiculous compared to east of the Mississippi and used machines are very hard to come by. That should give you a rough idea on the high end of value.

Good luck selling them.

Yeah I take no offense to anything to be honest man.... I know absolutely nothing about any of these three machines. I was just posting to try and help a friend out who works for the banks cleaning these repossessed dumps out and try to see if I couldn't help them sell them cheap and get rid of them.

hey, sorry if I went a bit overboard there, I was reacting to a general way of thinking that I might have mistakenly ascribed to you. already some useful advise here, cheers and good luck.

Moderator, please lock the thread... home shop grade (like the lowest of the low...grade) machine discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back