What's new
What's new

8' planer available in Wisconsin for anyone interested

CBlair

Diamond
A recent auction ended with no bids on a Cleveland planer with 8' bed and side heads. This is available for sale to anyone interested, please PM or email me for contact information.

Several of you have made inquiries lately please be aware you will have to remove this soon. I am told there is no ice or snow at this time so moving shouldnt be a problem. Price is negotiable but the opening bid was for $500 and there were no bidders.

Charles

Attachments

• 44-1 (Small).jpg
    44-1 (Small).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,082
Last edited:
If it was closer, and a bit bigger, I'd like a planer.:drool5:

Beggars can't be choosy!!!

You can do a lot with a 8 foot stroke open side planer. Just because it says 8 foot doesn't mean 8 foot is the maximum length of the part you put on it. I've seen machine tool beds 25 to 30 foot long being planed on a planer with only 16 foot stroke. The planer operator doing this had 30 plus years under his belt running different planers during his life. Wish I had taken pictures back then of him doing one...

EDIT: Seen the same guy match plane multiple bed sections that made up lengths up to over 100 foot long!

Wish I knew more about long distance iron moving.

How much time do I have?

I was told they have to clear the building, no idea on when it has to be done but I was told to make haste...or else to the first scrapper it goes. That would really be a shame but this is a large industrial machine and not what I would consider to be Home Shop material. Unless you have a really big shop, so many people say they want one but when they become available no one ever seems to buy them once they get over 4ft long.

The nice one in California last year for only a few hundred bucks, the nice Gray planer in Kansas for $850 and now this one not one bid with on an opening price of $500.

Oh well, that is how it goes, you dont miss things until they are gone.

Charles

Since I've got a lathe with a 30' bed, it not being a hobby shop size, dosent bother me at all.

Wish I knew more about long distance iron moving......

I now know a rollback driver that could proboly handle the weight, but I have no clue how I'd get it to Houston.

Can it be loaded or would that be my problem too?

I was able to attend and pick up a few things at this auction.
Talking with the owner, he stated it weighed 15 tons. This planer looked like it was built a bit heavier than the Grey's
The real treasure was the planer tooling that sold. All the tooling was bought when Kearny and Trecker closed.
The machine is a rack drive with a DC motor ,No hydraulics.

That is interesting information, the tooling photo online was pretty slim, obviously there was much more available than was shown. Also interesting about the drive, I would have thought it hydraulics...

Charles

I have seen it it in that auction. This machine is scrap metal. I am a scrapper myself and I have never seen one like this sold for usable. It is an old POS, however nostalgic one would feel about it.

Scrap yards in Milwaukee do not pay well for metal and many cannot even unload a machine this big. Maybe CIMC can.

But scrap prices in Milwaukee suck. I am guessing you would not even get $90 per ton right now.

I am based in Chicago. I have a 30,000 lbs forklift, which is enough to load it on a truck, but having to go to Milwaukee (1.5-2 hour drive) and back makes it not worth it. I would have to go there twice, once with forklift and another time to transport this planer.

The planer bed might be sellable, but not an easy sale.

I have seen it it in that auction. This machine is scrap metal. I am a scrapper myself and I have never seen one like this sold for usable. It is an old POS, however nostalgic one would feel about it.

Scrap yards in Milwaukee do not pay well for metal and many cannot even unload a machine this big. Maybe CIMC can.

But scrap prices in Milwaukee suck. I am guessing you would not even get $90 per ton right now.

I am based in Chicago. I have a 30,000 lbs forklift, which is enough to load it on a truck, but having to go to Milwaukee (1.5-2 hour drive) and back makes it not worth it. I would have to go there twice, once with forklift and another time to transport this planer.

The planer bed might be sellable, but not an easy sale.

Icudov,

Curious, why do you feel this planer is an old POS, did you notice anything specific concerning its condition?

Matt, there just isn't that much to it, the distance doesn't really matter once it is over your locals roll back range. You will have to get it on a truck and tie it down and then get it off the truck. As long as it is not oversize there are not any special road regs to meet with it like an oversize load.

If you can get someone to put it on a truck and get it off a truck, the part in the middle is easy.

Maybe icudov will load it for you?

Matt, there just isn't that much to it, the distance doesn't really matter once it is over your locals roll back range. You will have to get it on a truck and tie it down and then get it off the truck. As long as it is not oversize there are not any special road regs to meet with it like an oversize load.

If you can get someone to put it on a truck and get it off a truck, the part in the middle is easy.

Maybe icudov will load it for you?

It's been my experience with sub 20k lb iron moving, that what sounds simple if hardly ever so. It seems like that is always something little thing that ends up complicating the whole move, but maybe that's just me and lack of experience.

And yes, the middle part would be easy, but the start and end would be hard. I'd probably have to pay a rigger to load it, then find a yard to unload it, get on the roll back and then unload it again.

As much as I would like it, probably not much I can do right now (But this weekend I'm going to look at a 25,000 Hyster.....). And the machine has probably been scrapped by now.

I would also like to know why icudov though the machine was a POS, age (didn't look all that old to me)? Or did he inspect the condition of the machine?

Wish I knew more about long distance iron moving.

How much time do I have?

Matt, check out uhip.com. You put your load details online and truckers bid on the load. As time goes by the price gets smaller and smaller, until you get where you want it to be or at least as low as it will go. You might want to go and supervise the loading, depending on what you bought, but I have had good luck a couple of times.

Matt, check out uhip.com. You put your load details online and truckers bid on the load. As time goes by the price gets smaller and smaller, until you get where you want it to be or at least as low as it will go. You might want to go and supervise the loading, depending on what you bought, but I have had good luck a couple of times.

That should be uship.com. How do we edit post on new format?

Back