What's new
What's new

For Sale: No. 4 Warner & Swasey Turret Lathe (Virginia)

hickoryhill

Plastic
I have a No. 4 Warner & Swasey Turret Lathe for sale. It is in great condition. Asking $7000 OBO.

Attachments

• No. 4 Warner & Swasey Turret Lathe (2).jpg
    No. 4 Warner & Swasey Turret Lathe (2).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 515
Yes it is American made. Ohio

Hickory,

I think the replies have been going over your head. To be blunt, they're asking if it's $7,000 American dollars as distinct from some other dollar currency. And the implication is that your asking price is unrealistically high. There are no doubt shops that can still use turret lathes productively but if making a capital investment in production equipment a CNC machine would be MUCH more useful.

Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

Oh ok. Yes you are right. Didn't think about that. lol. I understand that some may think that my price is too high; however, I indicated OBO. Also, I know the shape and quality that it is in along with the tool post, etc. with it. And I have seen plenty on ebay that are in much worse shape and for higher. Thanks for your reply though. I appreciate it.

Oh ok. Yes you are right. Didn't think about that. lol. I understand that some may think that my price is too high; however, I indicated OBO. Also, I know the shape and quality that it is in along with the tool post, etc. with it. And I have seen plenty on ebay that are in much worse shape and for higher. Thanks for your reply though. I appreciate it.

That is a nice looking machine. So if you know why it is justified to ask $7k for it maybe you could share that info with us? What else comes with it? I hope you are referring to SOLD LISTINGS when you mention ebay.

Tooling for machine is being sold for ADDITIONAL money in another thread, here is link:
For Sale: various tooling (Virginia)

Last edited:
As the popularity of CNC Lathes increase the price of a lot of manual equipment has fallen. In the mid 90's when I was looking for a turret lathe those old Warner Swasseys were going for $1,000 - $2500 depending on model #, condition and tooling. That is even including used machinery dealer prices. Since the turret lathe I bought in that era would be lucky to be now worth half of what I paid, I doubt the values of the W & S have increased.

As for basing prices on Ebay the asking prices of dealers like Machinery Values defies logic. They put 6 figure prices on huge 60 year old manual equipment that would go for scrap price at an auction.

As the popularity of CNC Lathes increase the price of a lot of manual equipment has fallen. In the mid 90's when I was looking for a turret lathe those old Warner Swasseys were going for $1,000 - $2500 depending on model #, condition and tooling.
In my area, at a well attended auction they were selling for more like $100 to $1000 in the late 80's..even "NC" (as opposed to CNC) had made them obsolete to some extent. I once bought a clean, ultra rare W&S no. 4 with sliding bed for 500 bucks.

And when I say "they" I mean the ram type W&S 1000 series (which is what the OP has)...the more modern 4000 series would bring much more but those are rare as hen's teeth.

Hickory, you might get 1,000 for that lathe, everybody here knows the value of used lathes, and that’s all they are going to pay. Listing prices on eBay are meaningless, you have to look at the actual eBay selling price.

Hickory, you might get 1,000 for that lathe, everybody here knows the value of used lathes, and that’s all they are going to pay. Listing prices on eBay are meaningless, you have to look at the actual eBay selling price.

I read it that the tooling was to be sold off separate.

so I would defer to scrap price (what is it today $200 a ton ?)

What a cool old beast. I remember running one of these, though not nearly as nice as this one, they could sure remove material. A hoot to run but could sure wear you out.

What a cool old beast. I remember running one of these, though not nearly as nice as this one, they could sure remove material. A hoot to run but could sure wear you out.
A no. 4 Jones and Lamson's was more "beasty" than a W&S no. 4 ;)

That's a ram type. Those are the little playtoy turret lathes.

Any slant bed CNC will pack that things lunch in power and rigidity. And you work your brain, not your back. And you can buy a decent older slantbed CNC lathe for about 1/2 what you are asking for this dinosaur.

I read it that the tooling was to be sold off separate.

so I would defer to scrap price (what is it today $200 a ton ?)

I am in the same state and while prices fluctuate the closest scrap yard to me has a current price of $120 a ton for machine castings and junk steel.

I am in the same state and while prices fluctuate the closest scrap yard to me has a current price of $120 a ton for machine castings and junk steel.

Good to know.

And...the OP has to get it there, for that price.

Back