Advise on selling machines and tooling - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My guess on the mystery tool was a radius attachment for a lathe. But that doesn't seem quite right.

A brand (is that a logo on the side of the top slide?) would be helpful - it looks of '40s and '50s vintage, Hardinge or Wade or Rivett by the looks of the ball crank.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Find a reputable on line auction service and let them deal with it, or

Contact local schools and find a vocational student that likes machinery and help her or him get it out of there and gift it to them for free

Donate to a museum and let them auction it off

These are all good things to do and what little money they would bring in a sale and dealing with all the dorks who will show up is just a massive headache, and if you attract one of them people that will sue you because they tripped looking at it, know that you cannot sign off liability.

Check with you attorney and your insurance company before you go further

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a couple of additional pictures of the mystery.Attachment 328117Attachment 328118I'll look on line to see if I can find something. Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last picture is a slide rest base for a Rivett lathe with the top slide replaced with a milling attachment. It might be a special attachment, rather than a stock slide rest base. Something is missing from the top of the column, perhaps a vertical feed screw and crank.

Here is a picture of a Rivett 608 with the slide rest removed, showing where the attachment could mount on the saddle.
    Rivett 608 Lathe
    rivett-608-carriage.jpg

I looked at Tony's site and think I have the answer. Tony has a similar Rivett attachment about halfway down this page.
    Rivett 8" Precision Lathe

rivett-milling-attachment.jpg

For those unfamiliar, Rivett 608 or Precision 8 attachments are highly sought after by those with the lathe because the exotic attachments are very hard to find. This is a rare item and can be restored to function.

Makes you wonder what other treasures lurk in that shop.

Larry

5. Likes VermontGuy54, JackHB liked this post
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BTW, I belong to the Experimental Aircraft Association and one of the member benefits is they offer Solid Works free for members to use in building experimental aircraft. Annual membership is $40 and I was thinking there might be interest in this group to access a program like Solid Works. Thought it worth bring up
    I missed where you say why you are selling the machine tools, then????
    Do you already have duplicates?

I remember when Bob Aymar was developing his propeller line (later Aymar-DeMuth) and used a Palmgren cross-slide rotary table like yours to drill the hole circles on a carefully squared drill press. He did not have a mill in his shop at that time; but i think he had access to one, certainly at work. He built the prop-carving machine, for instance, and loads of other gadgets, tooling, and machines.

If you are determined to sell the stuff, then your local EAA chapter is the perfect venue to let people know, and perhaps if the machines stay in the area you can have access to them later. Our club hangar has some machine tools, but a BP would be a great acquisition. As a 501(c)3 we can give you receipt for good value for your taxes if you want to donate it. Probably passed not too far from there last week.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the information on the Rivett devices. Now I can learn more about it. As to Stephen's note on the Palmgren, these tools are located in Central Vermont and we intend on selling it all. If there is interest in purchasing please PM me and we can talk. I'm going to be back there the end of September to try and clear the house as much as possible. There is a possibility that we could donate but that will, honestly, be the last resort. Thanks Brian

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stephen I was going to PM you but the site says your in box is too full and can't accept new messages. Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As i routinely post, the PM issue is because it forget to check & go periods of being off-forum anyway.
    This naturally exasperates people & suggests i am being rude. Which is not intentional.
    I also routinely post my email.
    e h m co fab at gee male dot com.

Of course the BP donation was tongue in cheek - it is probably the machine in that lot that would sell the fastest for you.
    However, if you would be interested in exploring donation, or if your expected cash return is low, we might be interested anyway with a few more details. Is that a full 42" table? Did your dad buy it new? I might have other Q's depending on how close to being a gift horse, or how close to resale it becomes. Prepping for a board meeting tonight. But it is also a Wings program with the FSDO who i'm on tap to assist setting up. My focus will be in finagling a side look with the rep at my Canadian sourced project in the hangar and starting the dialog about how "we" can best strategize the airworthiness progression hopefully toward E-AB.

I will ask among the board if there is interest.

Thanks!
    smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post

Makes you wonder what other treasures lurk in that shop.

Larry
    Nicely found! Yeah, like as not, there are one or two nuggets in the lot!

I was wondering if the bracketry that is seen peering around the side of the attachment, might be a mount for some jockey pulleys for the drive belt, maybe. Or, simply, unrelated or home built for some unfathomable purpose.

Edit: In the first page of the post, in one of the sets of pictures, there are two crank handles, sitting in a tray, one which has a very fast, multi start thread on it. I wonder if that matches the right angle drive as shown on Tony's site?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been doing some more digging on the Rivett and it's considered quite a machine. I found an American Machinist from 1921 in Google that shows the traverse milling attachment. I'll attach. So is there members out there who would want to buy this? It not like a chuck or other accessories you can find on Ebay. Attachment 328165

12. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VermontGuy54 View Post
    I have been doing some more digging on the Rivett and it's considered quite a machine. I found an American Machinist from 1921 in Google that shows the traverse milling attachment. I'll attach. So is there members out there who would want to buy this? It not like a chuck or other accessories you can find on Ebay. Attachment 328165
    I do want, but don't have the first clue as to the value of it...

It's making my fingers itch...Sorta like homing in on something at an auction! LOL!

Can you get pictures of the other side?

I still think that crank handle equipped skew gear, or multi start thread spindle in Picture 4, Post Number 12 of this thread, may have started life as the right angle drive for this unit, and would be interested in seeing if it fits the skew gear on the milling spindle. The handle is wrong, but may have been a convenient replacement. Or, I'm wrong. It happens! LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Per our previous banter up=post:
    EAA Chapter 533 has a standing interest in acquiring a dovetail ram BP 42" table or larger, or similar turret mill with R8 or 30 taper spindle. We're cheapskates and take the long view. OTOH (usually) able to act quickly for favorable option.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm posting all the pictures I currently have. It doesn't have a Rivett identification on it as far as my sisters can find.

For Stephen, have you reviewed the pictures I've posted in this thread and is what you looking for "acquiring a dovetail ram BP 42" table or larger, or similar turret mill with R8 or 30 taper spindle" in these pictures? As I've already established, I quite ignorant of machinist tools and accessories. This forum and a couple of others have been providing me with a crash course in it.Attachment 328255Attachment 328256Attachment 328257Attachment 328258Attachment 328255

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In post #11 you stated: "The Bridgeport is from 1970"

The picture shows it is a dovetail ram.
    I can't tell from the picture if it is a 42" table (likely); however, it could be one of the short 32" tables.
    Nor quite which head is has (1J? 2J?) 9" or 12" cross (Y) travel? Presumably the knee has not been bodged by whatever is fastened to the front end? etc.
    It looks like a nice mill, but questions abound.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My sisters have found another tool at my dad's, a Deckel Grinder. Attaching pictures and I'm reposting a couple of pictures of some potential handles that might be part of the Rivett transverse. See what you all think. Thanks again for the great advice and guidance!Attachment 328326Attachment 328327Attachment 328328Attachment 328329Attachment 328330

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't understand it, & I even have a pantograph: but those Deckel single lip grinders seem to sell quickly for a fair amount of money. Check ebay.

Not familiar with the other tooling.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stephen,

The 90 degree plate on the knee is for the table. It's just sitting on the knee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 90 degree plate on the knee is for the table. It's just sitting on the knee.
    I did catch that. Thanks!

Mill appears to be a 1 HP belt change J head, almost certainly R8 spindle, with probably 9" cross and 30" long travel if it has 42" table. (Which it appears to comparing the vise, but would be nice to have an actual tape on it). It is certainly of interest pending how you choose to dispose of it.

Thanks,
    smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The table length is 42" and is 9" wide