What's new
What's new

BARNSTEAD THERMOLYNE TYPE 1700 SERIES 85 Furnace Heat Treat Oven Model FA1730-1

indianamoon

Aluminum
This sale is part of a complete machine shop liquidation, please e-mail wants and needs

Barnstead Thermolyne Type 1700 heat treat furnace for sale

New thermocouple and control has just been rebuilt with new components

2 of the heating elements are bad and need to be replaced, as I remember I could only get it up to about 1400F.

I was using this for mold and die detail pre-heat prior to welding and post heat after.

220-240 single phase input.

Base with casters is included.

Overall dimensions are 56 tall x 28 wide x 33 deep

Cavity is 8.5 high x 9.5 wide x 13 deep

Have original manuals and even the original warranty card.

I would like to get $750 out of this

DSCN1443.jpgDSCN1441.jpgDSCN1436.jpgDSCN1445.jpg

Need a better picture of the inside as it looks like something wrong, mainly the roof or whatever you call it. Also why didn't you replace the heating elements? Too expensive, obsolete, too much work? Also how much does it weigh? So it basically uses as much power as a residential electric clothes dryer? Can you put racks in it? I think about adding small part HT from time to time.

It's just the time of no reply. Happens all the time. While I don't like it I've come to accept it as an answer to a question I've always had, "What the !@&? is wrong with people"?YouTube

Didn't reply to dualkit for over (3) months to a sales lead.....

I kind of wondered why he did not reply to me, I was seriously interested. I have been thinking about adding a heat treat oven for quite a while but did not want to pay prices for a new one as I would be learning on the go.
I also found that all the used ones for sale were either really small or huge. This one seemed just right for my needs, oh well.

It's just the time of no reply. Happens all the time. While I don't like it I've come to accept it as an answer to a question I've always had, "What the !@&? is wrong with people"?YouTube

I honestly think since Trump got elected a lot of people are letting their political bias carry over into areas where politics should not apply. I have noticed people I have never interacted with one on one coming out of nowhere and ripping on advice I give. I am a conservative Republican who can't stand Trump and voted for Will Seemore in the last presidential election, for the record. Maybe Indianamoon voted for Hillary and noticed I referred to her as the wicked witch on Wizard of Oz and didn't want to sell his oven to me, who knows.

Hello Gents,
I recently bought one of the Thermolyne 1700 ovens for heat treating. The bad news, ah, same old story, no temp controller. I foolishly figured I could get one from Automation Direct, Wolf, Omega etc. Beware that Thermolyne was bought by Fisher, and they A) flat won't deal with ANY PRODUCT manufactured/sold prior to the buy out. If anyone out there has a controller for sale, or can recommend someone who could fab one up, please advise. Learned the hard way again,:rolleyes5:.
The big issue is this: These type 1700 ovens (e.g., Barnstead type series 85) used a Type "F" thermocouple, and apparently also a feedback loop that opens circuit if you open the door (as a safety feature). The only way I can get this operational is to a) change to to a type K, J etc thermo, or B) find a working used controller. Furnace I have is 240V single phase, 24 amp draw, 5800 watts, 2000 degrees F intermittent, little less continuous duty.
Hope that helps someone out.
Chad
I thought I'd save someone some grief. Any info would be helpful, all in on this and they are not cheap.

This sale is part of a complete machine shop liquidation, please e-mail wants and needs

Barnstead Thermolyne Type 1700 heat treat furnace for sale

New thermocouple and control has just been rebuilt with new components

2 of the heating elements are bad and need to be replaced, as I remember I could only get it up to about 1400F.

I was using this for mold and die detail pre-heat prior to welding and post heat after.

220-240 single phase input.

Base with casters is included.

Overall dimensions are 56 tall x 28 wide x 33 deep

Cavity is 8.5 high x 9.5 wide x 13 deep

Have original manuals and even the original warranty card.

I would like to get $750 out of this

View attachment 260836View attachment 260837View attachment 260840View attachment 260841

Hello Gents,
I recently bought one of the Thermolyne 1700 ovens for heat treating. The bad news, ah, same old story, no temp controller. I foolishly figured I could get one from Automation Direct, Wolf, Omega etc. Beware that Thermolyne was bought by Fisher, and they A) flat won't deal with ANY PRODUCT manufactured/sold prior to the buy out. If anyone out there has a controller for sale, or can recommend someone who could fab one up, please advise. Learned the hard way again,:rolleyes5:.
The big issue is this: These type 1700 ovens (e.g., Barnstead type series 85) used a Type "F" thermocouple, and apparently also a feedback loop that opens circuit if you open the door (as a safety feature). The only way I can get this operational is to a) change to to a type K, J etc thermo, or B) find a working used controller. Furnace I have is 240V single phase, 24 amp draw, 5800 watts, 2000 degrees F intermittent, little less continuous duty.
Chad
I thought I'd save someone some grief. Any info would be helpful, all in on this and they are not cheap.

The Op sure reads like the ovens worked.....

One heating element bad, but still worked, at a lower temp.

Hello Gents,
Chad

I bought a smaller desktop type oven a few years back and fitted it with a ramp-soak PID from auberins(?). K type thermocouple and SSR’s weren’t too expensive. I ended up buying new 5000w element too so the thing would heat up at a decent rate. I don’t think I spent more than 3-400 all together on the parts.

I honestly think since Trump got elected a lot of people are letting their political bias carry over into areas where politics should not apply. I have noticed people I have never interacted with one on one coming out of nowhere and ripping on advice I give. I am a conservative Republican who can't stand Trump and voted for Will Seemore in the last presidential election, for the record. Maybe Indianamoon voted for Hillary and noticed I referred to her as the wicked witch on Wizard of Oz and didn't want to sell his oven to me, who knows.

lol...the only name i recognize in a thread is thermite.

Just save yourself the grief and get yourself a small pottery kiln off craigslist. You use a k type thermocouple, a PID controller and a zero cross SSR. Order the controls from ebay and you should be able to get it all (kiln/control) for under $250. Put it on wheels and the whole damn thing will roll under a bench when you don't need it.

I just put together a kiln measuring 36" diameter, 48" that will fire to 2200F for a friend for under $1,000 out of pocket. It started with a large studio pottery kiln i bought off facebook marketplace for $155, then I had to add a bunch of bricks and build a controller. Had he looked for a properly built furnace for his operation, I imagine he would have been milked at least 30 grand.

I kind of wondered why he did not reply to me, I was seriously interested. I have been thinking about adding a heat treat oven for quite a while but did not want to pay prices for a new one as I would be learning on the go.
I also found that all the used ones for sale were either really small or huge. This one seemed just right for my needs, oh well.

Jus write the check, and never look back:
Used Tm Vacuum Products Vacuum Oven | HGR Industrial Surplus

Back