What's new
What's new

Best way to sell Hardinge Um

lbcagary

Plastic
I’m new here, so I hope this is appropriate: I am considering selling my Hardinge Um mill and eventually buying a Bridgeport, for the added capacity and a quill. The UM is about as complete as they come - all necessary parts for horizontal use, currently sporting the Hardinge vertical head and every 4C collet between 1/64 and 3/4 inch. Also the Hardinge vise and a plain dividing head with many discs. I live in the Los Angeles area and my question is this: Would my best selling option be to offer everything for sale as a lot, or break it down, possibly selling the mill as a complete horizontal as one lot, the vertical head as another including the collets, and the dividing head (which I could ship) as another? Besides this forum, Craigslist would probably be my first choice, since it’s local. I have thought about trying to strike a deal for a Bridgeport with a local machine rebuilder with the UM as a trade-in, but don’t know if that is realistic. Any input appreciated, thanks for listening.

To make the most money, sell everything separately.

If you do that, it would be crime and we will hunt you down.

My guess is that anyone looking to trade a Bridgeport is probably going to be going larger not smaller, unless he is retiring.

If you have a specific rebuilder lined up, that may be a different story.

The best buyer is going to be a Hardinge collector and he's going to give you a lot more value than someone looking to unload a Bridgeport.

Post some pictures here.

Steve

For ease and speed of sale, sell it and the tooling together. To maximize your profit, I would say break the
tooling apart from the machine. Or, price it out in pieces, add the numbers together, and put that as your
asking, knowing you could knock some off on the day of sale.

Condition is important. White dial machine, or steel dial? Electrics all complete (fancy drum switches and all)?

I’m new here, so I hope this is appropriate: I am considering selling my Hardinge Um mill and eventually buying a Bridgeport, for the added capacity and a quill. The UM is about as complete as they come - all necessary parts for horizontal use, currently sporting the Hardinge vertical head and every 4C collet between 1/64 and 3/4 inch. Also the Hardinge vise and a plain dividing head with many discs. I live in the Los Angeles area and my question is this: Would my best selling option be to offer everything for sale as a lot, or break it down, possibly selling the mill as a complete horizontal as one lot, the vertical head as another including the collets, and the dividing head (which I could ship) as another? Besides this forum, Craigslist would probably be my first choice, since it’s local. I have thought about trying to strike a deal for a Bridgeport with a local machine rebuilder with the UM as a trade-in, but don’t know if that is realistic. Any input appreciated, thanks for listening.

I’m editing to add photos. Also, it’s a steel dial machine, not white. I use the levers to operate it, so the drum switches must be functional. It lived at the Long Beach, CA Naval Shipyard until I bought it. They used their machines, but kept them maintained and calibrated. Apparently they also would slap on a coat of paint when they had nothing else to do. Sorry for the sideways photos, don't understand how that happened.
76A450FA-AF74-4E4E-AF98-E23D666CDFF2.jpgCB3BB6CA-E757-4730-A43F-F70853CBBC62.jpg18CD514C-04DE-415E-A25E-398D16D7C12E.jpg464786C6-1F24-4B27-BF33-CCA1E516CA38.jpgCB67FE05-2BFA-4FC9-86EE-F383E1088ED6.jpg

just curious-did the uploader 'flip' your pics sideways,etc.--??-cuz it did to ones i tried a week or more ago,and i fought it very unsuccessfully!-pat,thanks--

i tried a few times to 'reverse' the pic FIRST so it would flip'right'-it still always went some other direction!!-john oder on here said he could fix them,but i don't know-it makes me mad cuz trying to show lots of pics to ask advice!!oh well....-thanks,pat

i tried a few times to 'reverse' the pic FIRST so it would flip'right'-it still always went some other direction!!-john oder on here said he could fix them,but i don't know-it makes me mad cuz trying to show lots of pics to ask advice!!oh well....-thanks,pat

"What works for me..." (on OpenBSD Unix, so YMMV..).. has been to bring up the graphic, always a .jpg off MY camera (basic $100 Nikon Coolpix..), rotate, size, crop it on-screen..

THEN take a "selected area" screenshot.. which MY system then default-saves as a .png graphic, not .jpg.

Never had any uploaded .png rotated accidentally, yet.

Might try that?

will try right now!View attachment 261550IF this works here...am going to just post some misc pics-and i just used snip tool,then chose png,per your directive-thanks from pat!!...well,now have the problem that the pic won't enlarge when clicked on here-is that because png vs jpeg??

will try right now!View attachment 261550IF this works here...am going to just post some misc pics-and i just used snip tool,then chose png,per your directive-thanks from pat!!...well,now have the problem that the pic won't enlarge when clicked on here-is that because png vs jpeg??

Not in the file format, no. But it IS a byproduct of how VB codes the page.

I haven't tried this, but see wot happens if your screenshot is saved as a .jpg instead of a .png, then uploaded - as opposed to the "original" .jpg.

I suspect the core cause is related to the DEVICE and presumed aspect ratio (portrait/landscape) at the time the shot is made as so many of them with issues come in off of phone-cameras which are sort of try-sexual as to orientation, rather than camera-cameras which are only buy-sexual?

.jpg often embeds the whole family history in file, so the orientation of a prior generation may persist and assert dominance, even if the image is righted in a later generation?

:)

FWIW-not-much I'm not always keen on "lossy" graphic file compression, so tend to prefer .tiff format.

Now . .as far as this Hardinge mill goes...

"Full machine" shots we can find on Tony's site. Closer-up DETAILS that show positives (or negatives) such as damage, wear - or not - should be the more useful to a prospective new minder.

sorry about the hijack-was just drunk w/ joy after you taught me!!-will back out now-and thanks again from pat!!

Sorry George, but I don’t think I ever said it was actually for sale. I did, however try an ad on Craigslist for all but the dividing head at $4000. I know, it’s overpriced. Just exploring the marketplace.

Back