What's new
What's new

Big sale this Friday & Saturday in Lake City WA.

John Wandling

Plastic
John Jacobs Machine shop will be sold off this weekend machines and hand tools a Rockwell mill, Rockwell lathe, surface grinder, tool and cutter grinder and all the rest tool boxes mikes everything goes it was a tooling shop all the machines are just like new
The sale is it Lake City ( Seattle )the address has been posted on Seattle metal heads
or you can call me 360-808-2323

John Jacobs Machine shop will be sold off this weekend machines and hand tools a Rockwell mill, Rockwell lathe, surface grinder, tool and cutter grinder and all the rest tool boxes mikes everything goes it was a tooling shop all the machines are just like new
The sale is it Lake City ( Seattle )the address has been posted on Seattle metal heads
or you can call me 360-808-2323

Here's a link to pictures...…nice looking shop BTW, what a shame!

[email protected] | Manual Metalworking Shop For Sale

Kevin

A lot of stuff. I wonder how their Covid virus restrictions go over? They sound pretty ridiculous to me. They check your temp, you have to wear a mask, two people max at a time and only 15 minutes browsing. If that shop was near me I would not even bother.

It is a nice looking shop, but like Dual said, what a load of crap. I'm all for wearing a mask, but a 2 day sale, 2 people at a time with a 15 minute browsing limit... good luck!

If OP is that paranoid he would do faaaarrrr better to just let an auctioneer handle it.

Obvious the person selling the items has no experience selling machinery. Anyone with decent machining experience even buying a manual lathe or mill will probably spend at least 15 minutes checking out one machine. Also if available it is always best to bring a second set of trained eyes with you. So we now have the 15 minute and two people limit for one machine. If the person conducting the sale is a germaphobe they should just stay outside wearing a gas mask and let the browsers decide what they feel comfortable with.

prices seem to be a bit on the high side, even for Seattle. $8000 for a Rockwell lathe and $3800 for a Rockwell mill is alot.

I noticed high prices on the tooling and fixtures in the pictures where the prices are legible. I have a feeling someone went with E-bay asking prices.

Always seems so strange what hobby folks will pay for machines that could never earn much of a return.

$8000 is a hell of a lot of used manual lathe money. That's 10EE or Hardinge money.

Yeah that $8k is pretty stratospheric. That price seems way way outside that machine's value... Maybe a wealthy fellow with a hankering for that exact Rockwell lathe will come along.

Unfortunately, without a lot of effort, they will be lucky to get 8k for the whole works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow..what a bunch of heartless bastards! Even the guys that would never attend the auction are bitching about wearing masks and social distancing. Good, stay home, the smart healthy folks don't want you around anyway.

If it's not the masks or the time limit in the shop that chap your asses it's always the prices..too high for this or too low for that!

Then to add insult to injury, you have to drag in the dreaded "hobbyist" word!

You sure as hell can't please everyone all the time, that's for sure.:rolleyes5:

Stuart

Nothing heartless about letting people know their prices are way outside the realm of possibility. Pricing like that usually means nobody even inquires about the item because even if a seller comes down a good amount it's still way more than anyone will pay... Then the seller is sitting on the item for years. The lathe is insanely high priced IMO. At least with the other items someone can feel they could make an offer and meet at a reasonable level in the middle.

Used equipment is used equipment. As someone who has bought and sold plenty, unless you want to sit on it for a dog's age, it needs to be priced reasonably.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that the lathe is overpriced, also doesn't need a brain surgeon to figure out that they'll soon realise it's overpriced and lower the price to a point where it will sell.

It may well fetch decent money as it can be hard to find manual lathes in good condition.

And if y'all stay away because of their desire to keep themselves safe, I'm sure you will not be missed by the sellors.

Wow..what a bunch of heartless bastards!
Stuart

So how does the situation make these tools worth more?

That's the first question that pops in my mind when somebody volunteers an emotional backstory to accompany a sale.

Hopefully the guy gets what he needs to pay for his stay in the garden.

I agree, the emotional backstory doesn't make the tools worth more, but why is it necessary to belittle the seller and point out what a joke the prices are. I would look at the post, form my own opinion, take or leave it..buy or don't buy it and move on. I'm sure the OP doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks, it sounds like he's trying to help someone out.

Why try to 'course correct' everyone and everything to your own thinking.

Stuart

You're probably right, but it seems the discussion that 'all' are in agreement over is that the OP is a jerk for his pricing as well as his requirements for viewing the items.

The gent that made the original post doesn't seem to be included in the 'discussion' and I'd doubt that he is in 'agreement'!

Stuart

I don't think anyone meant to call him a jerk at all. Saying a price is unrealistic doesn't mean the seller is a jerk, just uninformed or having expectations set a bit too high. I can understand limiting the number of people at once, but 15 minutes is a little unrealistic for all that's there and/or a thorough machine checkout for sure.

So I am guessing atomarc knows the guy? :rolleyes5:

It's not us being "jerks" it is someone wanting to sell machine tools, that ya know, usually require some inspection, to NEED these stupid restrictions on 2 at a time, 15 minutes, yada yada that is being the jerk here IMO. Like I said that paranoid about it, let someone else handle it. It is down right insulting to come on a professional forum and make such outrageous "demands".

It's like he is telling us "hey this is all top grade stuff, no need to inspect, just see what you want and lay down the cash!"

:rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5:

Back