Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    So I am guessing atomarc knows the guy?

It's not us being "jerks" it is someone wanting to sell machine tools, that ya know, usually require some inspection, to NEED these stupid restrictions on 2 at a time, 15 minutes, yada yada that is being the jerk here IMO. Like I said that paranoid about it, let someone else handle it. It is down right insulting to come on a professional forum and make such outrageous "demands".

It's like he is telling us "hey this is all top grade stuff, no need to inspect, just see what you want and lay down the cash!"

I agree. Automarc is reacting like he knows the seller as his response is a strange one. The seller obviously has no experience selling like items and is 100% unrealistic, that doesn't necessarily make him a jerk, but 100% lacking common sense by not seeking the help of someone with experience in such matters. The Covid-19 rules would not impair selling horribly if just the large machines were for sale and they were shown by appointment, but there are hundreds, possibly thousands of small items for sale. People are not going to wait in long lines in the hot sun for hours to view second hand machinist tools. Even if they would under the rules it would take a hell of a lot more than two days to sell any amount worthwhile, even at fire sale prices. This sale is going to be a big failure.

I also noticed the person conducting the sale doesn't even know the proper names for a lot of the equipment, what he calls the items is kind of comical.

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I were to have sell this for someone I would put a price on everything, maybe a bit high. Then announce that every week the price gets knocked down 10%, everything will sell eventually at the highest practical price. Hopefully.

A friend of mine passed a couple of years ago and I volunteered to sell off his machines and this tactic worked well, every thing was gone in less than a month.

Ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is this the "for sale" section, or a general "Please give me your thoughts" thread

As a general thought for this sub-forum, all the critiques and comments take away from the place and discourage people offering stuff for sale here. "Not how i'd do it"? Who gives a shit, its someone else's for sale posting. The peanut gallery review and editorials, who needs it? If something is over priced they'll learn so enough...or maybe your were wrong and it sells.... either way, what business is it of yours? Better for PM imo to leave it alone if you're not a buyer,

5. Likes Bob-J-H, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I disagree. Letting a guy know he's outside the realm of reality is more constructive criticism than anything you've described. I've had it happen, just the way the cookie crumbles. I'd rather be informed I'm way too high on price rather than wonder why nobody wants to buy or even make an offer on something. Then again, I usually have pretty thick skin if someone isn't being outright insulting. Some don't. Regardless, the subject is done and dusted... No need to keep carrying on about it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Sale is now over, can Mebfab please delete the whole thread ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    I disagree. Letting a guy know he's outside the realm of reality is
    did he ask you? Who made you the arbitrator of whats a reasonable price? the lack of a sale will tell him soon enough.

PM 'm if its such a burning issue for you. Your comment may be ok on any given thread, you think, but are they all? Its not a discussion area, its a for sale area, and the more of a shit show you make it for vendors the less you'll have. Common sense.

Its not done. Its not one thread that prompted me to speak up, its an ongoing flaw of this sub-forum
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 08-02-2020 at 01:58 PM.

9. Likes atomarc, Bob-J-H, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the rules sticky there's discussion of some sellers needing a reality check... Not a flaw, just needs to happen sometimes. We covered this in another thread - this is a discussion forum, people will discuss things here, no matter that this isn't specifically a discussion sub-forum. Buying and selling used items, it's completely normal to dicker over prices. That's the way it's done pretty much everywhere. Being insulting is another subject entirely, and I agree there's no call for that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Sale is now over, can Mebfab please delete the whole thread ?
    Maybe more evidence to please delete the whole thread now ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Maybe more evidence to please delete the whole thread now ?
    I am really curious how it went, but I doubt the op will come back and admit things did not go well. If they did go well I will be shocked, but be more than happy to eat my words.

13. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On another forum, some folks implied that they got good deals. I did not go to the sale.

Y’all have to understand the relative iron desert that is the PNW. Things go for super cheap in the Midwest and East but it’s expensive and risky ship (especially if you want to inspect prior to shipping). I’m not commenting on whether or not I personally thought the prices were reasonable or unreasonable. However, I understand where the prices come from. Also, I have no idea if the asking price was the sale price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by medsar View Post
    On another forum, some folks implied that they got good deals. I did not go to the sale.

Y’all have to understand the relative iron desert that is the PNW. Things go for super cheap in the Midwest and East but it’s expensive and risky ship (especially if you want to inspect prior to shipping). I’m not commenting on whether or not I personally thought the prices were reasonable or unreasonable. However, I understand where the prices come from. Also, I have no idea if the asking price was the sale price.
    No, no desert here.

You know that guy who posts on this site regularly and has the machine and fab shop in the middle of fucking nowhere Africa? He doesn't whine and bitch about a lack of machine tools at all and he could probably justify it.

It's kind of a hobby folk dead giveaway when someone perpetuates a myth like that.

Most people have no clue how many machines and machine shops there are out there.

I thought I was hot shit moving to a little rural Oregon town with a couple big lathes and a 4" HBM. Turned out on the 2 mile country road I live on there are 3 5" HBM's nicer than my own.

There's tons and tons of machines here. Shitloads of industry has made the Northwest home. We built hundreds (thousands???) of liberty ships here in WWII. Boeing and all of it's suppliers generate massive numbers of surplus machines. The damns on the Columbia have massive support infrastructure. The Hanford site has generated a lot of machines. Most small/medium machine shops have something to do with the logging and paper industry or atleast they started that way.

Besides those things shipping is not a big expense for machines that are needed for profit. It's a one time expense. Lots of stuff gets shipped here and lots gets shipped out.

So perpetuate your iron desert bullshit on a hobby site somewhere or keep it to yourself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    No, no desert here.

You know that guy who posts on this site regularly and has the machine and fab shop in the middle of fucking nowhere Africa? He doesn't whine and bitch about a lack of machine tools at all and he could probably justify it.

So perpetuate your iron desert bullshit on a hobby site somewhere or keep it to yourself.

Well played. Good point.

I apologize for stepping on your phallus.

17. Likes atomarc, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well that all went south quickly. No offense intended with my comments on price, hopefully the estate holders were able to sell everything at a price they were happy with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by medsar View Post

Why are things expensive in the PNW, since there are lots of auctions and machines for sale in California.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see plenty fs in the PNW. Try MT for a desert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Why are things expensive in the PNW, since there are lots of auctions and machines for sale in California.
    As someone who lived in California for too many years, machines are usually very expensive there. I went to a couple of auctions just for the hell of it and saw people paying the price of a good running machine on something that had all the electrical cabinets locked and wasn't powered up. California also doesn't have the manufacturing base that it did in years gone by. When I was shopping for machines while living there I found it was cheaper to buy machines from the midwest and east and pay the extra freight costs than to buy local. When shopping I found on lot of the machines $50k and under California dealers wanted double of what dealers across the country wanted. I doubt that has changed.