What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Torq Cut 22 VMC incl new computer - SE MI, $7k

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
Hello all,

I have a Bridgeport TQ22 VMC (I don't remember the year offhand, late 90's anyway) for sale.

PXL_20210804_153800199.jpg

More/better photos: Google Photos Album
(Pictured vise not included.)

A little background, I'm from Michigan but live most of the time in West Africa where I run a non-profit fab/machining shop and vocational training program. This machine was just removed (a week or two ago) from a friend's shop in Almont, MI and is now in storage at a local rigger's warehouse. It was donated to my non-profit with the idea that I would send it over to my shop in West Africa, along with a Trak lathe. The lathe will find a ride over here next year, but I've decided that the VMC is a bit more than I can handle in terms of rigging, transport, maintenance, and power requirements over here. I already have a Tree J425 over here, and although I would've like the rigid tapping and toolchanger of the Torq-Cut, its size is pushing the very edge of my ability over here to move equipment since there aren't riggers. (The guy who donated the machine is fine with me selling it and putting the money toward something smaller, lest anyone think I accepted it under false pretenses.)

Relevant info: it was making parts up until a few weeks ago, but with a few limitations. The most important one is that there is a shot pin error in the transmission which is preventing the machine from going into high speed (it has a two speed mechanical gearbox, which seems like a nice feature for low speed tapping torque, but in this case is stuck there.) I haven't been into it myself, but it seems possible that this is nothing more than some gummy oil that needs to be cleaned, but you never know. The monitor also had a problem, and was replaced by another sitting on the machine, as you can see in the pics.

Just before it was donated to me late last year, the guy who donated it (Steve @ Rite Tool, if anyone knows him) had the computer replaced with a new one including the disk on chip module. Shortly after arriving at my friend's shop in Almont, they found a bad servo driver and replaced it. Steve also said the way covers were new in the last few years. Steve was the original owner, I believe.

I don't have all of the specs, but AFAIK the machine runs DOS, has rigid tapping, a 20 something tool changer, weighs about 6000#, includes manuals, and is wired for 220v 3ph (although I read on a thread somewhere that they're very easy to convert to 220 single phase, if someone wants it for their garage shop.)

I'm open to pricing input from anyone familiar with things in this market. My benchmark is that the twin of this machine was sold to a firm that outfits them with new controls, and they paid $7k for it. I want to get rid of it, but want to be realistic about value while not being wasteful of a resource someone donated to my organization, if that makes sense.

(Also, in case anyone is getting ready to upgrade out of something the size of a Haas Mini Mill and would like to donate it for a write-off, that's probably the machine I'm headed toward!)

Thank you all!

I'd love for you to get all you can for your endeavors, but that machine is not going to excite many people.

If some other business paid $7k for one I'd be trying to sell them yours.

Mid 2000's machines from top builders with real CNC controls regularly sell under $10k today. I'd think in good running shape, under power, you'd have a buyer in the $2000-$3000 range.

There are 2 similar machines in my area(Oklahoma) that ready to work that have been listed in the $6000 range.

They've been for sale for months.

I would think value is in the $2500-3500 range in AS IS condition.

Ok, guys, thank you both - that's exactly the feedback I needed. I will try to contact the place that bought the other once more, and if I'm not able to get in touch with them, will drop the price and see if that raises any interest.

Thank you.

We had one of these in our shop up until a few years ago. I liked it, but we needed something newer with a more standard control (but there are times I miss hearing its distinct servos out in the shop). It works off the old DX-32 software, which IMO is capable for a basic VMC of this age, but it has a few quirks to become acquainted with. A lot of the components are semi-generic, and I think there's a CNC service company somewhere that assumed a lot of the more technical support for these (according to the guy who bought ours). These were some of the last machining centers designed and built by the "real" Bridgeport company, before Hardinge bought them out and farmed out their CNC construction to Taiwan. These mills make great garage machines, but otherwise I think the only professional market would be a shop with more like it who need another spindle but aren't ready to upgrade yet.

Back