What's new
What's new

Burke #4 Horizontal Mill

Daughty

Aluminum
This is a Burke #4 Horizontal Milling Machine in full working order made in a time in America when craftsmanship, precision and pride in product was paramount. Even though it was fabricated years ago it has had excellent care and minimal use. It is in perfect working condition; and really is an almost like new unit. There are many cutters and end mills that go with the machine. This is a very solid quality piece of machinery.

I have recently restored this. I took this machine conpletely apart down to the nut, bolt, and gear! Has power feed, comes with 21 cutters, a full set of BS #9 collets, a draw bar, 2 arbors and a lot of T-nuts and hold downs! Will need a couple pulleys replaced, but they do not affect the machine!

$1200 OBO open to trades as well

I am willing to ship this at the buyers expense.

b3.jpgb4.jpgb1.jpgb5.jpgb2.jpg

Did you read the rules about antiques and horizontals?

I saw the no horizontal shapers, but not antiques. Then came this be moved the the antiques section. Although I feel there should be a set manufacturing date set for antiques.

Please clarify where the list mentions horizontal mills. Thank you!

"List of home shop machines not allowed on PM classifieds

Note PM is a manufacturing forum, not a home shop forum....therefore, do not advertise the following-

1. Atlas
2. Craftsman, Dunlap
3. Any horizontal shapers (ok in Antique Machinery forum however)
4. Any Chinese or Taiwanese home shop grade machines
5. Unimat
6. Any antique machines or tools (ok in Antique Machinery forum however)
7. Taig, Sherline "

This is a Burke #4 Horizontal Milling Machine in full working order made in a time in America when craftsmanship, precision and pride in product was paramount.

You made me laugh out loud with this, We need more humor in todays life.

Burke has always been minimal in all respects, ranking right up there
with Palmgren....

Undersized dovetails, poor casting quality etc.

i know this is dated. but i have 60 years of machine shop stuff here and its time to let go. one of the items is this burke #4 horizontal mill. I did some really fine work with it years back then took it apart to rebuild it but now i have a little CRS [cant remember s--t] Your pictures are a great help. im trying to find the arbors. Could you tell me was the taper in the spindle a #9 brown and sharpe. I believe so but not sure. I have plenty of B&S #9 collets and they seem to fit and you mention have some you sold with it.

i think your being a little hard on Burke. in my 60 years as a machinist ive had several of there machines and i did superior work on them. things i couldnt do with some of my Bridgeports and K T mills

i know this is dated. but i have 60 years of machine shop stuff here and its time to let go. one of the items is this burke #4 horizontal mill. I did some really fine work with it years back then took it apart to rebuild it but now i have a little CRS [cant remember s--t] Your pictures are a great help. im trying to find the arbors. Could you tell me was the taper in the spindle a #9 brown and sharpe. I believe so but not sure. I have plenty of B&S #9 collets and they seem to fit and you mention have some you sold with it.

COnfirmed: Burke #4 mill usess B&S #9 arbors

You made me laugh out loud with this, We need more humor in todays life.

Burke has always been minimal in all respects, ranking right up there
with Palmgren....

Undersized dovetails, poor casting quality etc.

Agreed, it is not a precision machine by production standards and it is very limited due to small size, BUT it is a very stout machine and very capable of doing small work...there were better bench top machines in its day, e.g. Hardinge, Diamond and others...

Now, if one were to put a Rusnok head on a Burke #4, then you have quite an interesting machine.

Agreed, it is not a precision machine by production standards and it is very limited due to small size, BUT it is a very stout machine and very capable of doing small work...there were better bench top machines in its day, e.g. Hardinge, Diamond and others...

Now, if one were to put a Rusnok head on a Burke #4, then you have quite an interesting machine.
Mine came with a TINY verticle head. I've yet to try it.

Rusnoks are much lower-mass than BP heads, but on a Burke? What you have is a face plant if not solidly anchored!

:D

The #4 / B100-4 have such limited daylight and limited traverse that uber-high speed, teeny-tiny cutter of the Porter-Cable router or Chicom ER-25'ish high-RPM lightweights can actually make fair sense, Carbide & other "exotic" cutters as available as they have become.

Back