What's new
What's new

Are Cincinnati 12-1/2X30 tray top lathes decent?

pracydna

Plastic
This particular one I'm looking at was made in 1965, according to it's serial number. I'm not asking it's worth as I know that's all based on wear/tear et cetera. What I'm looking for are those who may have one or had one and could please tell me your honest opinions on them. Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated. We're leaving Wednesday morning to go look at it. Below is a picture of the exact lathe. cincinnati_12.jpg

A very experienced friend had one he was given for free from previous employer. His opinion: weak headstock gears and floppy spindle, wouldn’t buy one. I suppose it depends on the use you plan for it.

L7

A very experienced friend had one he was given for free from previous employer. His opinion: weak headstock gears and floppy spindle, wouldn’t buy one. I suppose it depends on the use you plan for it.

L7

Anything in particular you'd recommend Lucky7? Our budget is limited on what we'd like to spend to start off. I'd say in the neighborhood of around 5k.

I ran the next size up one quite a bit ... it's not a Pacemaker but works okay, was not annoying to run, made parts the right size as long as the operator didn't mess up :)

The only thing I found a little annoying was that it's a hydro-shift headstock, and like all of them you have to hold up a second between speed changes. But that's common to several lathes, like the Regal and some Monarchs and even the American Strip-Shift. Not a deal-killer.

On the other hand, the nice part about that is you don't have to flip six different levers and check a chart to change speeds. Just spin the dial up or down.

The flat place on top of the tialstock is useful, except like all flat places, it collects junk :)

Dan from Oakland has one too, you could pm him and ask what he thinks.

edit: blew up the photo four times bigger, looks like maybe not a hydra-shift ? That'd be even nicer.

@lucky - how the hell would a guy know the headstock gears were "weak" unless he blew the teeth off ? I know I've drilled 2" holes on the 15" model, nothing broke or even complained. Sorry, doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

L7

Not sure where the "weak headstock gears and floppy spindle" comes from, unless he was using a machine that had been abused and not maintained properly. Even a Monarch isn't going to give good results under those conditions. The price he paid for his lathe was perhaps an indication of its condition?

I have a 12-1/2" x 36 Hydrashift, which is very similar to that Tray Top, and allowing for the wear in the usual places, e.g. the bed ways close to the headstock, it's a good machine. I've had the spindle out of the headstock, and it uses two large precision Timken tapered roller bearings, plus a large ball bearing, for support, so "floppy" is not a term I'd use. If the bearings are worn or incorrectly adjusted, maybe.

As for weak gears, sure they can be broken if abused, but I've parted 4" stock on this little 12-1/2" machine. Not as fast or easy as a larger lathe, but it got the job done and with no damage.

The one I mentioned was in an aerospace shop. And yes, headstock gears got broken, and replaced, and broken, thus given away. Just one mans opinion.

And the example I’m talking about was a Tray Top not a Hydrashift and did not have a center bearing on the spindle.

L7

Mine is from the 1950s and all original. I will confess it has seen little use and is in outstanding condition throughout. I love it and it is perfect for my space constraint It is stout for the footprint and feels heavier in use. Speed and gear changes are a snap and with a jacobs or adjustable chuck, it holds 50M all day long. I would suggest you check the backlash on the crossfeed. If it is too sloppy, you will have a hard time with it. The thread is a true unicorn - 9/16-8 Lh acme - no one has that anymore. I actually had a tap custom made and I redid the nut myself. That alone got me where I needed to be, otherwise it would take a conversion to 5/8 or 1/2. Bear in mind my Tray Top is a 10" but I believe the 10 & 12 are the same in most aspects. Anyway, I would grab if it is good shape. It's a super quiet, accurate and capable lathe that's effortless to run.

Thank you guys for all of your insight. I completely understand it's all about opinion and that's exactly what I was looking for, good or bad. I will get to see the machine in person Wednesday and I will definitely check the backlash on the crossfeed and thank you for suggesting it. I wasn't aware that could be a major issue, but my partner may know. I will surely mention it. I really appreciate all of your responses and I'm very thankful to be a part of this forum. What a great site and even great bunch of people here. I've learned so much just from reading this forum. I consider you all priceless.

Would love to hear how it goes. If you take it, I have manuals (as do others here).

Good luck.

I have seen a very high number of those sold or scrapped with headstock issues so I would agree they had problems. Good friend bought one for a second lathe 40 years ago and quickly sold it. Did not like it one bit.

I've repaired several, the gears are nicely done, albeit narrow and glass hard.

That said It's a nice enough lathe for it's intended use and original price point. They were sold and used to good effect frequently in the aviation and plastics industries.

Not made to withstand big interrupted cuts and go head to head with a Sidney or Axelson of the same era... but neither is a South Bend "Heavy Ten" and they are much revered in some circles.

Servo shift mechanisms need some occasional attention. No different than maintenance on any other servo.

IF it's in good shape and it fits your purpose, it could serve you well. Try to make it something it's not and you will be dissapointed.

The one I mentioned was in an aerospace shop. And yes, headstock gears got broken, and replaced, and broken, thus given away. Just one mans opinion.

And the example I’m talking about was a Tray Top not a Hydrashift and did not have a center bearing on the spindle.

L7
I don't know the year of the Tray Top that your friend was given by his employer, but the Tray Top in the photo in the first post is a three-bearing spindle, very similar to the contemporary Hydrashifts.

I ran the next size up one quite a bit ... it's not a Pacemaker but works okay....

Exactly what I was thinking. We hear the same things on the LeBlond Regals. They are nice machines but you can't flog them like a Pacemaker and expect them to live. I'd want to be sure the head stock gears are 100% and then access the condition of the machine. Actually the latter will probably tell you a a lot about what to expect inside.

Would love to hear how it goes. If you take it, I have manuals (as do others here).

Good luck.

Excellent Mr. Mike. I will inform everyone how everything goes tomorrow. We'll be gone most of the day so it may be Thursday or Friday before I can report back. We're also buying (hopefully) an Alliant Mill with RO's and all 3 powerfeeds. I'll post pics of what we bring back. You guys are so great here. Very thankful for you all.

Back