What's new
What's new

Cincinnati grinder

That is a Universal OD at least (see swiveling work head) and I'll guess its old enough to be mechanical - no hydraulics

Hi John,
Looks like it has some shop-made riser blocks, it must have been aligned for a specific job and then left untouched. In the third pic you can see the headstock travel gear is about three inches from being engaged to its rack.

Browning, where in Maine are you? Any idea of this beast actually runs? If you're not in a hurry to get rid of it, I might take it later, but I've no room right now.

Right as there are no spool valves on the front of the base. The layout and design elements are there for the next generation
Cincinnati Filmatic series of O.D. grinders.
John

I’m in wells Maine. 20 minutes north of New Hampshire border. I’m not sure if it runs. My phase converter is to small to run it. I guess define hurry lol

My B&S #4 is practically new from 1947 - but is still mechanical, so makes antique noise:D

The Cincinnati looks more robust. Its probably at least as heavy even though shorter. The B&S is at least 6500

DCP_0938.jpg

I love the code words identifying the various models in the catalog: DANCE, DANDY,
DAPLE, DARNE, etc. Code words, were they war production?

Notice the French and Cyrillic (Russian?) in the footer of each page. Did this copy
of the catalog come from Russia?

Milland, you are right about the risers for the head and footstock. The wheelhead is also sitting on risers.

Attached are photos of the grinder per Browning1932 plus the same grinder from John Oder's 1920 pdf is the same as shown in the 1926 Cincinnati Milling Machine catalog of Milling and grinding machines from 1926.
Close but there are still some differences between the machine and the catalog.
Front ~.jpgLeft Side ~.jpgRear ~.jpgUniversal 1920-1926.jpgSpecs.jpg
John

I love the code words identifying the various models in the catalog: DANCE, DANDY,
DAPLE, DARNE, etc. Code words, were they war production?
They are code words in the strictest sense of the term. Telegraph codes. Back in the day, you paid for telegraphs by the word. It was routine for manufacturers to give a one-word (usually five letter) ordering code for each different model, so stingy customers did not get into trouble by leaving out too many words of a machine/model description.

Nothing in particular to do with any war.

Back