What's new
What's new

Cincinnati No.3 Vertical Milling Machine

buelltaco

Plastic
For sale: Cincinnati No. 3 Vertical Milling Machine 25 HP 3 phase 240 volt. Machine was taken out of service 15 years ago because of the purchase of more productive equipment. It's been stored in the same place it was used the day it was turned off. It has a very light coat of surface rust over most of the exposed cast iron surfaces that will easily clean up with a little oil and a scotchbrite pad. It was running fine the last time it was used. There are no holes or milling tracks on the table's surface. No tooling is included with the purchase. We can not provide a forklift to move the machine for loading. A forklift will have to be rented or brought in by buyer in order to move it. We are asking $500 for the machine.

Industrial Specialty Company, Inc.
Montgomery, AL 36109

334-277-2224 phone (ask for Wayne)

For pictures email request to [email protected]

My Cincinnati #3 has 20 HP motor so 25 would not be surprising, espicially considering that as time goes on the HP goes up as the size goes down.

I will say no engine lift will deal with this beat. Mine, on a crane scale which is accurate within 100lbs easily, rings in at 10400 Lbs. I would love to see someone get her, but go prepared.

Just to say "Cinncinnati no. 3" is not enough info as there are many incarnations of a "no. 3" vertical. The heaviest and most powerful no. 3 was produced in the late 1950's and was available as the "high power" or "dual power" no. 3.

This beast weighed 13,900 lbs !! The high power spindle motor was 20 hp and the dual power motor was 30 hp !! Add another 5 hp for the seperate feed motor.

The high power and dual power machines basically had the same machine body regardless of the model size. You could have a #3 or a #5 with 25 hp, with the major difference being the table size. I recently looked at a #2 vertical with a 20hp motor. I think the machine weighed about 12 or 13,000 # where a more typical # 2 dial type Cincy would weigh about 7,000# and have a 7-1/2 hp motor.

During the apprenticeship in the mid sixties the new Vercipower bed type mills were coming in at P&WA (the head went up and down the column). Were they built in "number" sizes?

John Oder

During the apprenticeship in the mid sixties the new Vercipower bed type mills were coming in at P&WA (the head went up and down the column). Were they built in "number" sizes?

The Vercipower number system was similar to that of the later Cincinnati Milacron knee mills. Smallest was the 320-18 and largest was the 750-20. Spindle power was from 20 up to 50 hp.

The high power and dual power machines basically had the same machine body regardless of the model size. You could have a #3 or a #5 with 25 hp
25 is still a bit of an odd size for a no. 3 machine, as all my literature shows hp jumping from 20 to 30 hp. They did offer 25 hp but only in the later 420-18 to 625-20 High Power verticals.

More information is available

If anyone is seriously looking for a machine like this one and need more detailed information I would be happy to help you. We are very motivated to move this machine out of our shop to make room for other equipment. If this machine does not sell through Practical Machinist chances are good that it will be scrapped. I certainly hate to see that happen since I spent many hours running it and I know it is a good machine. Obviously the price we have put on it isn't going to let the owner of our company retire and live out the remainder of his life fishing for bonefish in Key West. We just need to find a home for it where someone can hopefully us it. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any questions.

Wayne 334-277-2224

Industrial Specialty Company :D

25HP motor

BTW, the motor that was in the machine when we got it was low on power. When we stated milling the steel plates I may have mentioned previously, we were using a negative Kennametal cutter 6" in diameter. The cutter held about 8 CNMG-43_ inserts and cut using the 100 degree corners. Trust me this wasn't a job for a wimpy motor. We installed the new motor when we started doing the steel plates. Since it's been 15 years or more I might do best just to say the machine will take a 3/16" doc in A36 steel plate 5" wide with a negative cutter and mill very nicely without choking. Who really cares what the label on the motor says.

If you are stickly interested in originality please note (again) this machine does not have the original motor.

Wayne

A friend of mine ended up scrapping several machines and one was the same as this. I almost cried watching this stuff get busted up. He did the verticle mill, a lathe and a large shaper , all running. I still have alot of the tooling from the big mill. I am gonna try getting scrap price for them soon just to get them out of my shop. Hopefully someone will buy yours so it doesn't get scraped. Good luck

The company I work for is having a Retirement (going-out-of-business) Sale after 38 years and liquidating their entire machine shop. Lots of SOLID equipment with plenty of life still left in them including this BEAST of a Cincinatti (Lot # 93); they don't make them like this anymore! Know anyone with a need or room to give them a second lease on life? Someone please save it from going to the scrap-yard!
Cinci No3.jpg
CINCINATTI MILLING MACHINE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL HEAD NO. 3 SER. ZA3PIZ-76 You must use our Rig

Back