What's new
What's new

Clausing 12” by 36” lathe with DRO and lots of tooling for sale.

Mr_CNC_guy

Cast Iron
This is my Clausing 5449 that I have owned for many years. It has a 1 ½ HP motor that uses a vari-drive to the spindle. It comes with a 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw chuck, and a 5C collet system. Also a flat plate and a dog plate. I have an Armstrong (Aloris style) tool post with a bunch of tool holders. I also have the old style lantern tool post. I will include lots of cutting tools.

The motor is 3 phase but I will include a VFD drive so you only need 240 volts single phase to run this lathe. This is a clutch lathe. With the lever you can start and stop the spindle rapidly without stopping the motor. A great feature. I have the manuals for the Clausing lathe and the Sony DRO.

The lathe has a Sony magnescale DRO with 0.0001” resolution on the cross slide. The sadle resolution is 0.001”

You can come and see it run.

* Clausing 5449 lathe 12” swing with 36” between centers, L00 spindle taper.
* Sony Magnescale DRO.
* Armstrong (Aloris style) toolpost with 8 tool holders.
* 11” flat plate
* 4 jaw chuck 10”
* 3 jaw chuck 6 ½”
* 10” fixture plate
* Dog plate.
* 5C collet closer and nose piece.
* Lantern tool post.
* Morse taper centers #3.

Asking $2,500.

DSC02398.jpg

DSC02399.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02401.jpg

Last edited:
This is my Clausing 5449 that I have owned for many years. It has a 1 ½ HP motor that uses a vari-drive to the spindle. It comes with a 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw chuck, and a 5C collet system. Also a flat plate and a dog plate. I have an Armstrong (Aloris style) tool post with a bunch of tool holders. I also have the old style lantern tool post. I will include lots of cutting tools.

The motor is 3 phase but I will include a VFD drive so you only need 240 volts single phase to run this lathe. This is a clutch lathe. With the lever you can start and stop the spindle rapidly without stopping the motor. A great feature. I have the manuals for the Clausing lathe and the Sony DRO.

The lathe has a Sony magnescale DRO with 0.0001” resolution on the cross slide. The sadle resolution is 0.001”

You can come and see it run.

* Clausing 5449 lathe 12” swing with 36” between centers, L00 spindle taper.
* Sony Magnescale DRO.
* Armstrong (Aloris style) toolpost with 8 tool holders.
* 11” flat plate
* 4 jaw chuck 10”
* 3 jaw chuck 6 ½”
* 10” fixture plate
* Dog plate.
* 5C collet closer and nose piece.
* Lantern tool post.
* Morse taper centers #3.

View attachment 336064

View attachment 336063

View attachment 336061

View attachment 336060

View attachment 336062

Price??????

I keep trying to PM a reply, but it appears it is not going through. Very interested.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

As much as i really want this, it is just too far to come get it. Someone is going to get a great deal. Thanks for the responses.

When I put my lathe up on Craig's list I got this response almost immediately:

-------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to buy it. I can meet you anywhere between here and downtown, no problem. I am happy to meet you tomorrow. I'm free any time tomorrow so just let me know when you want to arrange to come. Let me know if you have either way. I can pick it up today or Tomorrow with Full CASH. Let me know I'll give you my email please contact me... [email protected]
-------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously some sort of scam but what is the scam? I don't understand.

I responded with "Send my your phone number and we can set up a meeting".
Oddly, I have not heard back from them. Perhaps they need time to collect
up the CASH! ;-)

If you reply to the email address provided they typically reply with an email with a malware attachment that they try to get you to open. Since it is a reply to your email, spam filters let it through.

That's a nice package for the price.

We had a similar one, more tooling but no DRO, same price.

People kept telling me "You're asking too much".

A forum member came down, ran it through its paces, and said "I'm not even going to argue the price. Will you take $200 for a deposit?".

Steve

That looks like a very nice lathe. If you were down here in Texas a homeshop gunsmith would jump on it at 4K or more.

I don't suppose anyone would have even a ballpark number on what it would cost to get this moved from New Hampshire to Texas? Are we talking $500, $1500, or...? Does anyone have any kind of idea? I am new to machining, so is there a rule of thumb when it comes to transport cost ($x per pound per mile) or something similar?

I don't suppose anyone would have even a ballpark number on what it would cost to get this moved from New Hampshire to Texas? Are we talking $500, $1500, or...? Does anyone have any kind of idea? I am new to machining, so is there a rule of thumb when it comes to transport cost ($x per pound per mile) or something similar?

A few years ago my friend shipped a car from Houston to New York for $800. Seems like a reasonable eyeball number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars don't need to be palletized and crated with additional accessories. They also don't need to travel in an enclosed trailer and moved with a forklift. This is why they are in a different freight class than machine tools when arranging for LTL shipping. I'd expect the shipping to be more than $800 once you have it palletized and crated. Of course this depends on if you are picking it up at a distribution center, dropped at a commercial address with a loading dock or delivered to a residential address.

You can get freight quotes from a number of online services such as uship, goship or freightquote.

that's a sweet set up perfect for barrel work and there not a thing wrong with the price

Back