What's new
What's new

Clausing 5914 12X36 metal lathe

CaryC

Aluminum
I am a long time "watcher" of the forums trying to gather as much knowledge as I can. I have never used a lathe before so everything is new to me.

I am torn between buying "Old metal" and a new Taiwanese machine (Precision Matthews) with warranty. I found a late 70' Clausing lathe and I wanted to get peoples opinions...I am going to see it this morning. lathes don't pop-up here in Phoenix very often. Here are the details:

"Late model 5914 veri speed 12x36 lathe WELL TOOLED Taper attachment , 6&8 3 jaw ,8 &10 4 jaw ,face plate,dog plate, follow rest,hand wheel 5-C collet closer, Swiss Multi fix toolpost live center,drill chuck.Lathe has spindle clutch/brake [rare on small lathes]hardend bed, 220 3 phase 2HP comes with rotary converter for use with single phase"

This is for a garage workshop, mostly spinning aluminum and the occasional steel. Thoughts?

Well tooled at least. Bit spendy, but that seems the norm anymore.
There is a Takisawa listed as well.. guys like them from what I've read.

Considering the tooling that comes with it, I would say that is not a bad deal, those multifix tool holders are pricey. Took a look on your local CL, the Yam and Takisawa are both well regarded machines, but neither are American iron, and tooling looks minimal. If you buy a bare machine, it can cost as much to tool it up.

Friend purchased a PM 12 x 36 last year, for the money I would say it is ok, but the real test is how long it lasts.

I had a clausing 12x24 for many years. It was a great machine and super well tooled as well.
I've also had a Takisawa and loved it. Sounds like the clausing would work great for what you plan on turning. The PM machine may do inch and metric. So if you do metric that may be a factor. I think it's fairly priced. I got a little more for mine but I had a bit more tooling.

The taki ad lists what it comes with but doesn't mention the change gears. I'd be concerned about that.

Jeff

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

My dad had that exact same lathe and he loved it.

I had to sell it when he passed away because we didn't think I could get it into my basement.

It has a hardened bed, so unless it's been abused, the bed should be in good shape.

The weak point is the hydraulic speed control. Be sure to run it through its paces and run the speed up and down to be sure it's working and holds speed. My dad rebuilt his, so I would have been all set if I had taken it.

Steve

I have one of the clausing 5900 lathes. I really like it and it is my main lathe with a 6 jaw set-tru buck chuck.

Search out on this forum. They are very nice machines - BUT parts and accessories can be expensive. I paid $385 for a follower rest and $465ish for the metric gear set. The taper attachment that has is also driving the price up. Also know its a 3 phase machine.

If the speed control sheaves are damaged that can be a major problem. Sometimes you need another lathe to help you fix a lathe.

In the end access what you really want to do, how much you will us it, and what your tolerance to surprise costs or repairs are. This is really no different than a car.

Here is another tip - you don't have to have only one lathe in you life. Buy in cheaper, something like a south bend 9" to play with and if you really have the interest upgrade.

Back