What's new
What's new

CNC and Manual Lathes and Knee Mill from College Machine Shop

mTeryk

Hot Rolled
Thought I would throw a link up here to this auction.

Public Surplus:
Surplus Auctions for Linn-Benton Community College

The machines are in Albany Oregon. We're moving the shop and these machines are no longer needed. We'll have riggers on-site 4/12. Quoted loading fees are if you pick up the machines that morning. They must be gone by that day as construction is to begin where they are located. Pictures are available at the link above.

I'd say that the Hitachi-Seiki, the Monarch and the Hendey are the best of the bunch. The Lagun could be a great machine with some work put into it. The Cadillac and the Dual Drive sadly have seen some abuse and need more work but with bids starting at $500 could be a good deal for the right buyer.

Hitachi Seiki HT-20 with Fanuc Control
8" Chuck
Excellent Condition overall
Color Display is bright
Control panel in great condition
Not currently under power but worked great when taken out of service.

Complete wiring diagrams, instruction manuals and programming manuals as well as the text book for an introductory CNC lathe course utilizing this lathe.

Approx. Weight: approx. 6,500 Lbs.
Approx. Shipping Dimensions: 100″ L x 68″ W x 70″ H

Opening bid $1000
loading onto your trailer $750

Hendey 16x54 lathe
Serial number 38550H1546
Includes:
Taper attachment
Steady and Follower Rest
3 jaw chuck
Jacobs collet chuck with full set of collets
drive dog face plate
Quick Change Tool Post
Currently under power, smooth running machine in lower speeds. Some gear noise in higher speeds.

Opening bid $500

Lagun FT1 bridgeport style knee mill
Baldor motor
New VFD- needs tuning for motor
Autofeeds on 2 axis
Functional but needs work

Opening bid $500

Enterprise 15x40 Lathe
Build Date 1973
Includes: 4 Jaw chuck
Aloris Quick Change Toolpost Holder
QCGB needs works. Doesn't stay in one feed/thread range.

Opening bid $500

Leblond Dual Drive
Includes:
Sony DRO
Quick Change Toolpost
3 jaw chuck
4 jaw chuck

For parts or repair. Gears stripped in headstock, two speed ranges non-functional

Opening bid $500

Monarch Model 13605
Build Date March 1942
Catalog Size and Model 14" C
Actual Swing 16.5
Includes:
Steady Rest
4 Jaw
Carriage Stop
Face Plate
Quick Change Tool Post
Currently under power, smooth running machine

Opening bid $500

Last edited:
Thats a great Hendey. Hard bed 18 speed Threading dial and taper attachment ect. What more could a person want.

Do you have full backups of the Hitachi-Seiki parameters including all the options?
There's a bunch of binders that go with the lathe. It's got the wiring diagram, operators manual and programming manual. Not sure if the parameters and options are in one of them. I'll check tomorrow.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I should also note that we had to move the rest of the equipment to make room for HVAC installation today so any descriptions that say currently under power are no longer accurate.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this! :)
I have been browsing around on this website for a couple of months, slowly building up my knowledge base to buy my first lathe. One of these great machines will work nicely in my shop. Hopefully, I will be starting a thread on a lathe restoration soon. :D

I'm surprised that Hitachi has a bid. $1750 is a lot for about $500 in parts on ebay. That's all it's good for. Hitachi's have too many things that go wrong that cannot be repaired. They are boat anchors.

If I lived up in that area I'd buy that Hitachi in a heartbeat. easy to work on are bullet proof and repeat. thats the older one, the 20sII and especially the 20sIII with lm guides and the new electronics were not nearly as strong or dependable the electronics has too much propitiatory stuff in them. the old ones all you need is a generic parm and your good to go forever. parts are easy to find cause they were all pretty much standard everyday parts.

The turret componets on the older ones are easy to make . fix and repair, they were stupid simple. the 20s models were a pain and again propitiatory stuff.

Do you have full backups of the Hitachi-Seiki parameters including all the options?

Looked through the binders and didn't see any parameters. The machine, until recently, was under power and running fine. I believe the batteries are fine so parameters could be saved off. That being said the machine is being sold as-is.

Teryk

After thinking about it for the past couple of days (and talking it over with the wife), I decided to put an offer in on the Lagun. If I win both machines, I'll soon be ready to start making some chips. Once I put some work into the Lagun, of course. :D
Edit: never mind about the Lagun, I've already been outbid.

Last edited:
I'd say that the Hitachi-Seiki.........are the best of the bunch.
Always fascinating to me to see ancient CNC machines that appear nearly new. Whether the paint is original or not the control face and knobs appear absolutely pristine. And yet just due to the control age it's actual market value is not much more than scrap value I'm afraid.

OTOH, the control boards might be worth good money since the older the control the harder it is to find replacement boards and thus good boards can bring a premium on older Fanuc stuff. Especially since it's is running and one can document it via video.

Back