Closing after 33 years....
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 103
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default Closing after 33 years....

    New on this forum. Started our machine shop in 88. My dad passed in May, so it's only me and my brother left. With everything that has happened, we decided to close up for good. I hate that his legacy dies with it. We are going to auction but I've tried to gage interest from others. So far, it doesn't look promising. I'll download some images and maybe you guys can give me an idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20210825_090107151.jpg   img_20210825_090131836.jpg   img_20210825_090049181.jpg   img_20210825_090145068.jpg   img_20210825_090137990.jpg  


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    No idea why the pictures are sideways. CNC Fryer VB 60, CNC Willis Microcut, CNC Jet lathe which isn't pictured, CNC Acroloc, Acer mill, LeBlond lathe, small Lucifer heat treating oven, surface grinder, newer 80 gallon two stage compressor, Older (40's?)Sunstrand production mill, Hitachi Seiki lathe, small CNC lathe w/6 jaw chuck and older Anilam control, older Clarke towmotor, Hartford spacers, vee blocks, rotary table, angle plates, vices, CAT 45, CAT 40, 50 & 40 taper tooling, lots of lathe tooling (high speed steel, carbide brazed, carbide insert), facemills, tons of drills, reamers, mills nuts and bolts. IF anyone has interest in anything...message me

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Munster, In. USA
    Posts
    2,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    567
    Likes (Received)
    870

    Default

    Photo flip

    fryer-vmc.jpgwillis-microcut.jpgleblond.jpgsurface-grinder.jpgimg_20210825_090137990.jpg
    John

  4. Likes MotoX, Mark P., neilho, rimcanyon liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That auction will be less than qty (2) hours duration, I'll be surprised if you can entice an auctioneer to come in, and inventory it, make a listing, and conduct the auction.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    That auction will be less than qty (2) hours duration, I'll be surprised if you can entice an auctioneer to come in, and inventory it, make a listing, and conduct the auction.
    We have an auctioneer. Also have more machines I didn't show pictures of. It's an online auction that'll last a week.

  7. Likes Pathogen liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    613

    Default

    Sorry about your dad.

    Where in Ohio?

    Is the auction being run through Bidspotter?

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark P. View Post
    New on this forum. Started our machine shop in 88. My dad passed in May, so it's only me and my brother left. With everything that has happened, we decided to close up for good. I hate that his legacy dies with it. We are going to auction but I've tried to gage interest from others. So far, it doesn't look promising. I'll download some images and maybe you guys can give me an idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark P. View Post
    No idea why the pictures are sideways. CNC Fryer VB 60, CNC Willis Microcut, CNC Jet lathe which isn't pictured, CNC Acroloc, Acer mill, LeBlond lathe, small Lucifer heat treating oven, surface grinder, newer 80 gallon two stage compressor, Older (40's?)Sunstrand production mill, Hitachi Seiki lathe, small CNC lathe w/6 jaw chuck and older Anilam control, older Clarke towmotor, Hartford spacers, vee blocks, rotary table, angle plates, vices, CAT 45, CAT 40, 50 & 40 taper tooling, lots of lathe tooling (high speed steel, carbide brazed, carbide insert), facemills, tons of drills, reamers, mills nuts and bolts. IF anyone has interest in anything...message me
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark P. View Post
    We have an auctioneer. Also have more machines I didn't show pictures of. It's an online auction that'll last a week.
    Funny how you left that fact out eh ?

    If your already with an auction house, you usually can't sell stuff on the side, your locked in.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Funny how you left that fact out eh ?

    If your already with an auction house, you usually can't sell stuff on the side, your locked in.
    We haven't signed a contract yet. So I didn't leave any facts out. So we are free to sell anything we want. We are currently finishing up orders for customers. I originally stated that I was trying to gage interest.

    I joined this forum after I had googled DSI tape punch. I saw someone looking for one and I was trying to get rid of ours. After 33 years, there are a lot of items sitting around here that don't belong. We've sold tractor parts, a welder, small drill press and various other items already. I have lots of plastics, some phenolic, teflon, pvc, fiberglass impregnated plastics too. (sheets and rounds)

  11. Likes JoeE. liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2503
    Likes (Received)
    485

    Default

    Don't worry about it Mark. Some of us on the forum have gotten a little trigger happy due to the number of people who come on here and end up jerking us around.

    Personally I wish I were just a bit closer to your sale.

    Best regards,

    -Ron

  13. Likes 1yesca liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalCarnage View Post
    Don't worry about it Mark. Some of us on the forum have gotten a little trigger happy due to the number of people who come on here and end up jerking us around.

    Personally I wish I were just a bit closer to your sale.

    Best regards,

    -Ron
    Thanks....It's a two way street. There are literally thousands of pieces of tools here. If someone had a need for a weird pipe tape or inserted dove tail cutter or Devlieg boring bar or magnesium plate...etc. Now would be the time to ask. Before it's sold in bulk or thrown in the dumpster.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    6,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    774
    Likes (Received)
    3898

    Default

    Sorry for your loss

    Don't worry about digger, just his way of saying 'hi'


    The machines made you money for a long time, don't worry about what they go for in the end.

  16. Likes fusker, Mike Henry liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Sorry for your loss

    Don't worry about digger, just his way of saying 'hi'


    The machines made you money for a long time, don't worry about what they go for in the end.

    Thanks. I get where he is coming from. I'm pretty up front with things. I'm proud of the resume of the jobs that I've done over the years and what I've learned to do them. I walked in 33 years ago not knowing my ass from a hole in the ground. My dad had faith in me and taught me what he knew.....which is way more than I could ever fathom. As far as the machines, I'd love to stay here and keep doing what I'm doing but....I can't go it alone. I'll just have to have faith that my next stage will pay the bills.

  18. Likes gustafson, woodchuckNJ liked this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    107
    Likes (Received)
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark P. View Post
    Thanks....It's a two way street. There are literally thousands of pieces of tools here. If someone had a need for a weird pipe tape or inserted dove tail cutter or Devlieg boring bar or magnesium plate...etc. Now would be the time to ask. Before it's sold in bulk or thrown in the dumpster.
    Sorry about your dad.

    I might be interested. But your post is pretty vague. Really need to see a list of everything you have for sale, with prices.

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwearing View Post
    Sorry about your dad.

    I might be interested. But your post is pretty vague. Really need to see a list of everything you have for sale, with prices.
    Is there anything specific you are looking for? We are still machining parts until close to October, so all I have is the basic machine list. Some on here have already asked about particular items. I apologize for being vague, it's my first time closing a business.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Posts
    11,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4405
    Likes (Received)
    4127

    Default

    Are you willing to post city/location in Ohio?
    As in, "how long a drive is that" for estimation purposes.

    smt

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    Are you willing to post city/location in Ohio?
    As in, "how long a drive is that" for estimation purposes.

    smt
    We are located in Hudson, Ohio. It's between Akron and Cleveland.

  23. Likes stephen thomas liked this post
  24. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4885
    Likes (Received)
    5182

    Default

    You might consider offering your long-run jobs as some might be interested in taking on more work.
    I don't know if that practice is common or how you might sell a job contact or take a commission on a job.

    Perhaps some PM guys could offer ideas on that.

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    You might consider offering your long-run jobs as some might be interested in taking on more work.
    I don't know if that practice is common or how you might sell a job contact or take a commission on a job.

    Perhaps some PM guys could offer ideas on that.
    One of our customers came in to look at what we have. Offered to buy any of their parts lying around and also offered us jobs at their shop. Another customer said they could send work to where ever we ended up. Couple of shops that we sent work to also offered us jobs. It's a family owned and operated shop. Didn't really take but a week of vacation off a year plus Holidays. We took a couple of days off for my dad's funeral and that was it. Back it and trying to deal with everything......

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    6,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    774
    Likes (Received)
    3898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark P. View Post
    One of our customers came in to look at what we have. Offered to buy any of their parts lying around and also offered us jobs at their shop. Another customer said they could send work to where ever we ended up. Couple of shops that we sent work to also offered us jobs. It's a family owned and operated shop. Didn't really take but a week of vacation off a year plus Holidays. We took a couple of days off for my dad's funeral and that was it. Back it and trying to deal with everything......
    Sounds like you guys have a good reputation and will no doubt land on your feet

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Sounds like you guys have a good reputation and will no doubt land on your feet
    Thanks. I've always tried to do to the best of my abilities and remember that our name was associated with that part. I'm not the best, fastest or smartest and made plenty of mistakes, but I do give a crap. Now what I need, is some down time. I haven't had a chance to sit and think about my next step. I've been doing this so long, it's second nature.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •